1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Calif Gun Buying Experience

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by joegriff, Dec 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joegriff

joegriff Member

I was at at a local chain gun/fishing store and noticed a model 12 setting in the back of the rack of guns with no tag on it. I asked the clerk how much it was, he said $299. I said I'll take it. It was the first time I had bought a gun in a licenced gun shop in over 25 years. So my $299 + $25.16 for taxes + $25 for 3 DOJ fees + $5 for stores handling fee comes to $355.15. Now I get to wait 30 more minutes filling out paper work, getting a back ground check, drivers licence copied and thumb printing. Now the goverment knows everything about me and I will be the owner of a 60 year old Model 12. Ain't buying a gun fun in California.
    Joe

2. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

I have no idea about California laws in detail. However if you buy from an FFL dealer you must fill out the Federal forms and have the NICS check done. Handguns and long guns, no exceptions. An FFL dealer does not forward those forms to the Feds he keeps them in his shop. Only go to the Feds if the shop goes out of business. The NICS check record of your purchase is only kept for a short time. Here in Ohio there is no charge for the phone call to NICS, I have heard that other states do charge for the phone call. This instant check did away with the 'Brady' law seven day wait. Some states and some smaller jurisdictions may or may not have a waiting period. Welcome to the world as it is now.

3. jimx200

jimx200 Member

DB, it has always been my understanding that CA. (I live in Sacramento) only "holds" long gun purchase data for 30 days and handguns for a year. Did this list that the deputy show you include long guns? I'm just going by what my local FFL guy told me.
    And yes, the darn transfer/paperwork fees in this state are a ripoff...cheapest I can find to do a transfer is $60. on long guns.

4. joegriff

joegriff Member

DB
    Yes, I did foget the 10 day wait and I do live in Southern California {LA area} and the Store was one of the Turners. Look at my post again. You will see that I paid $30 for the paperwork not $5.

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Oregon has a permanent database on all guns, maintained by the state police.

The state police started doing this all on their own a number of years ago for handguns. Ad hoc, no authorization by law. Lawsuits were getting lined up to stop it.

The John McCain came to town to solve all our gun "problems". He campaigned here for the Gun Show Loophole Ballot Initiative, which would require background checks at all gun shows. (It defined a gun show as anywhere 10 guns were present, regardless of whether they were for sale or not. I guess I have a gun show every time I open my safe. One unintended consequence is that we couldn't bring display guns for our military vehicle historical shows.)

Anyway, buried in this initiative was authorization for the state police to now do this by law for all firearms.

So now the state police here know everything you own if it went through an FFL since this initiative passed.

That's also why a lot of us Oregon gunowners hate John McCain, and will never vote for him. He had no business whatsoever coming to Oregon to ram this crap down our throats.

6. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Sounds like an old PLUMBER to me!!! Does C&M, BAR, MATRIX ring a bell Joe???

7. joegriff

joegriff Member

Poacherjoe
    Doesn't ring a bell! Don't have a clue what your talking about. Sorry.
    Care to explain? Joe

8. Brian in Oregon

MX-8B, quote: "....If LE think you still own certain handguns that you said you sold to others, your transfer FFL didn't do it right, or they didn't went through DROS. According to California DOJ, you're still the rightful/responsible owner of them."

That's so when they get around to banning handguns in Commiefornia, they'll have enough justification to get a warrant from a judge to tear your house apart looking for the handguns you no longer have.

9. Brian in Oregon

The law Bush signed was only if the feds run the background check. It doesn't apply to state run programs. I wish it applied to every state, because it would shut down the Oregon State Police from keeping a permanent database.

10. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Joe;I knew a Joe Griff here in Ca. and he worked at the companies that I named and he was a plumber.I guess that there are more than 1 Joe Griff out there.PJ

11. Timbob44

Timbob44 Member

Thats strange if the shotgun or rifle you are buying is pre64. And you are buying it here in California. You should only have to do the local driver licence scan and be on your way. Pre64 to my understanding applies to shotgun and rifle sales in California. Course everybody does their own thing it seems. But I have never had this problem. Now for handguns in California it is a whole other ballgame. Pre64 or not you pay the fees and do the paper work.Thanks,Tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.