1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Caldwell Targets VS. White Flyer

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rclick, Mar 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rclick

rclick TS Member

Caldwell has "improved" their new targets as they were getting lots of complaints about breakage in the new auto traps. Yes they are harder. No more smokers unless you are shooting a very tight choke and center them. It has been a lot better for our club as we are not having near the breakage as before. I still like them better than white flyers.

2. 60MM

60MM TS Member

Where do you get them and how are they priced compared to the white flyers

3. mono1393

mono1393 Member

Caldwell are about $.50 cheaper a case than WF targets. Shipping costs are a lot more for WF as Caldwell has their own truck for shipping targets. They keep the costs down doing it that way. I do not know how far they will ship their targets.

What I have noticed about the Caldwell target is that it is not as cleanly finished as the WF target. There seems to be more deformed targets in the last batch we received in October.

I can agree with rclick, the Caldwell True-Flight has less breakage in newer automatics then it did a year ago. I think the smaller clubs can save by going with the Caldwell at this point. They do not break as pretty as they use too. They break about like the WF targets.

4. plott hound

plott hound TS Member

We used caldwell targets at our club this winter and found lots of unbroken birds that landed in the snow had many holes in them. As many as nine. Most with 4 and 5 holes in middle and skirt.

5. Kingbang

Kingbang TS Member

Caldwell and W/F will both powder, but ya have to hit um! Warmer the weather the more powder you'll see. I have never picked up a target with more that 3 holes in it W/F or other wise, but a cold day here in Oregon is 20 degree's and everyone stays home!( all due respect to Plott.) I will submit this...........I think you have to be a shooter and be envolved personally in the running of a club and a shoot to fully be able to evaluate these targets. for instance. How do they load? do the edges flake off? are they dirty? breakage %, trap condition.Just to name the obvious. On the northern west coast Caldwell's are cheaper delivered, W/F is a fierce competitor, but they will cost ya a $1000.00 plus over the Caldwells in freight. All that said, truth is your opine on a given manufacturer of a target is going to be different than mine or the next guys.

IMHO

Dennis

6. 60MM

60MM TS Member

I'm in southwest ga. will they deliver here? Where are caldwell targets made?

7. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Made by our Northern neighbors. I don't believe you would find them delivering to the far South, Y'all. FD

8. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

You never know about shipping to the south. I see Lawry targets out of Ontario being used at some club in Florida.

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Randy, White Flyers....Bob Dodd

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Surgery the 6th, Randy. They're going to re-route the Ulnar nerve at the elbow and hopefully stop atrophy in the R. hand and arm. It all relates to a '66 injury on the job and it took 6 months to start the ball rolling and finally get a surgery date. Workers Comp, you know, was set up to ensure timely and proper handling of injured workers?? I'm not sure just how long it will be before I'm back shooting and it won't be as much as years past. There's some duties the left hand is not used to that may be annoying each morning but I'll survive....breakemall...Bob Dodd

11. Kingbang

Kingbang TS Member

Mr Dodd is correct W/F for the State, the last shoot was caldwells. I don't know how many people noticed it. the breakage was minimal, but they are dirtier than the fliers.We bought a half truckload to evaluate and already are committed to the fliers for State. With Reino resigning as pres of the board Caldwells may become more in favor.............Film at 11:00

Dennis

12. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Mr. Gunn,
    I'm curious why the broken targets were shot at, I can only remember two or three instances that I shot at broken targets in a Registered shoot, either ATA, or PITA. FD

13. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Sir Gunn, you got's mail!

FD, I see there are some folks like you and me that see the pieces and can stop the action but others that just can't. I've been on a squad where a fellow will go through 4 1/2 boxes of shells in an event where bad traps or bad birds are used and he evidently just can't resist firing....breakemall....Bob Dodd

14. bigdowg

bigdowg TS Member

Dennis,
    It's a real shame to lose Reino over the target issue. A gun club should lend a strong ear to their trap mechanic and give his judgemnt a lot of weight when choosing targets. I'll miss him and his up beat personality, hopefully he stays around and continues to support the club. As far as the diference in the targets, I won't go there. Let the shooters voice their choice with registered shoot attendence....Dan Glaves

15. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Dan, it's not the targets that is motivating Reino to step down if it reallly happens. Hope to seeya around after arm surgery soon....Bob Dodd

16. Kingbang

Kingbang TS Member

Dan, Bob was right Reino didnt step down over that. He has some personal issues to deal with that prompted the decision. Thats all I have to say about that here. Randy I was line boss down below and yes we had target breakage but I thought it was much better than the past. When I did see broken targets beyond reason was in doubles. Also we found some inconsistancies in the targets construction. Your and other shooters input is appreciated and always welcome. We can't deliver a quality product if we don't know what the people want. This target issue has become pretty political and I for one will not bad mouth either company. Hey Bob I saw you on the way home tonite you was at garfield and roosevelt at about 4:45. Mr. Glaves it was good to see how well your dad was shooting and I was most impressed at how well he looked. Great just great stuff.

Dennis

Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

are caldwell true flight biodegadable