1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Calderon presses Congress on gun trade

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Joe Potosky, May 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Calderon presses Congress on gun trade

The Washington Times

Mexican President Felipe Calderon called on Congress Thursday to reinstate a federal ban on assault weapons that he said are ending up in the hands of violent drug cartels south of the border.

Speaking before a joint session of lawmakers, Mr. Calderon echoed statements by President Obama that the U.S. bears some responsibility in propping up the drug trade with America's demand for narcotics and its supply of guns.

"I will ask Congress to help us, with respect, and understand how important it is for us to enforce current laws to stem the flow of guns and enforce existing laws as well as consider reinstating the assault weapons ban," he said.

Mr. Calderon said of the 75,000 guns seized by Mexican authorities over the last three years, 80 percent are traced to the U.S. The assault weapons ban, which prevented citizens from purchasing semi-automatic weapons, expired in 2004.

The Mexican president stressed that he respects the gun rights enshrined in the Second Amendment but warned that U.S. failure to rein in weapons dealing could result in the same kind of violence coming back north of the border.

On Wednesday, the Mexican leader appeared alongside Mr. Obama at the White House, where he and his wife later were feted at the administration's second state dinner. The two men touched on a number of thorny issues, ranging from the drug war to Arizona's controversial new immigration law and a series of ongoing trade disputes.

An estimated 23,000 people have died because of Mexico's drug war since Mr. Calderon took office in 2006, promising to crack down on the country's drug traffickers. A recent spate of high-profile incidents, led by the killing of a U.S. Consulate employee in March, have injected a renewed sense of immediacy on the part of the United States.

Mr. Calderon thanked Congress for funding the Merida Initaitive, a $1.4 billion commitment to provide technical assistance, equipment and training to Mexican authorities agreed to under former President George W. Bush. The Obama administration has continued those policies and expanded the effort to include support for civil society and community programs.

During his first presidential visit to Mexico last April, Mr. Obama said he would urge Congress to approve a long-stalled North American arms treaty known by its Spanish acronym of CIFTA, but little progress has been made.

2. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

It is our freedom and our constitution that causes Mexicans to kill each other. It is our fault.

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

"Did you ever think that in your lifetime, you would see an American President and a mexican, in the White House. openly and without any regard for the People, badmouthing and pointing fingers at the United States of America? A "leader" of a foreign country badmouthing the country he is standing in? Disgusting, absolutely disgusting."

Not in my or my son's.

4. johnboy

johnboy Member

I strongly suspect that the present administation made sure this was in Calderon's speech, so watch out. Pictures of the arms caches I have seen taken from the drug cartels have included grenade launchers and what are probably fully automatic weapons from the international black market, not some gun show in the U.S.A.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

What a bunch of half baked crapola.

Most of the REAL arms in the hands of the drug cartels came Through Mexico's Southern border, from the banana republics that specialize in revolution, arms, and drugs.

To claim that gun shops in the southwest are supplying arms to these folks is and outright blatant lie.

Or can you put fake names on a 4473, and show no ID?

I would like to see this rebutted on National TV to the degree it was sensationalized.

HM

6. Woodduck

Woodduck Member

If you listen to his comments closely, i believe you will hear him say, "80 percent of the guns we can trace." If memory serves me they can only trace about 10% of the firearms confiscated and most of those were reported stolen.

Dennis Grau

7. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

why doesn't he STFU and go back to the hell hole of a country and worry about his OWN borders and out of control cities along them! Oh and he can take Obammie with him!

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

You can read the truth here, 7 thousand guns checked of 29 thousand seized.

Put your hip boots on when those f**kers are on TV.

Now I'm like the fly that landed on the toilet seat - pissed off.

HM

9. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

I think we should be standing with and behind this guy, cause people like him are going to be the ones to turn this Mexico problem around.

Go McClintock!! Here's the youtube if you want to watch it instead of read it.

McClintock's Response to President Calderon
    House Chamber, Washington, D.C.
    May 20, 2010

M. Speaker:

I rise to take strong exception to the speech of the President of Mexico while in this chamber today.

The Mexican government has made it very clear for many years that it holds American sovereignty in contempt and President Calderons behavior as a guest of the Congress confirms and underscores this attitude.

It is highly inappropriate for the President of Mexico to lecture Americans on American immigration policy, just as it would be for Americans to lecture Mexico on its laws.

It is obvious that President Calderon does not understand the nature of America or the purpose of our immigration law.

Unlike Mexicos immigration law -- which is brutally exclusionary -- the purpose of Americas law is not to keep people out. It is to assure that as people come to the United States, they do so with the intention of becoming Americans and of raising their children as Americans.

Unlike Mexico, our nation embraces immigration and what makes that possible is assimilation.

A century ago President Teddy Roosevelt put it this way. He said:

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language ... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

That is how we have built one great nation from the people of all the nations of the world.

The largest group of immigrants now comes from Mexico. A recent RAND discovered that during most of the 20th Century, while our immigration laws were actually enforced, assimilation worked and made possible the swift attainment of the American dream for millions of immigrants seeking to escape conditions in Mexico.

That is the broader meaning of our nations motto, e pluribus unum from many people, one people, the American people.

But there is now an element in our political structure that seeks to undermine that concept of E Pluribus Unum. It seeks to hyphenate Americans, to develop linguistic divisions, to assign rights and preferences based on race and ethnicity, and to elevate devotion to foreign ideologies and traditions, while at the same time denigrating American culture, American values and American founding principles.

In order to do so, they know that they have to stop the process of assimilation. In order to do that, they must undermine our immigration laws.

It is an outrage that a foreign head of state would appear in this chamber and actively seek to do so. And it is a disgrace that he would be cheered on from the left wing of the White House and by many Democrats in this Congress.

Arizona has not adopted a new immigration law. All it has done is to enforce existing law that President Obama refuses to enforce. It is hardly a radical policy to suggest that if an officer on a routine traffic stop encounters a driver with no drivers license, no passport, and who doesnt speak English, that maybe that individual might be here illegally.

And to those who say we must reform our immigration laws I reply that we dont need to reform them we need to enforce them. Just as every other government does. Just as Mexico does.

Above all, this is a debate of, by and for the American people. If President Calderon wishes to participate in that debate, I invite him to obey our immigration laws, apply for citizenship, do what 600,000 LEGAL immigrants to our nation are doing right now, learn our history and our customs, and become an American. And then he will have every right to participate in that debate.

Until then, I would politely invite him to have the courtesy while a guest of this Congress to abide by the fundamental rules of diplomacy between civilized nations not to meddle in each others domestic debates.

10. BFJ201

BFJ201 TS Member

Some of the wording seems a little odd to me (can be traced back to America, sales or manufacture) I wonder how many of the said traced guns were ones that were sold to their military or police forces legally by American companies and are being stolen right from under their noses and still blaming the U.S. for the Colt's M16 sold to the Mexican Army and stolen by one of their men when they are recruited to the Drug Cartel. The numbers seem like a lie to me.

James Allen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.