1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Calcuttas????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BFJ201, Sep 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BFJ201

BFJ201 TS Member

Why does the ATA discourage, but not specifically prohibit Calcuttas? I've wondered this ever since I got into the game 5 years ago. I've never been told the actual reason, but I've posited my own theories. The only thing that I can figure is that Calcuttas would be legal in some states and illegal in others, so with the ATA being a national organization it is best for them to discourage them so as not to be breaking different states gaming laws.

BFJ

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

You've answered your question.

Eric

3. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Calcuttas have been outlawed in golf & tennis. but you know trapshooters will bet on anything. Not completly legal but no one has raised too moch of a fuss.
    As I have noticed, most of the clubs are bright enough to keep the Calcutta entries and payoffs seperate of the regular shoot entries & payoffs. Eliminates some questions as to who authorized & approved. Payoff in cash and who calls the IRS.

Big Jack

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Trapshooters who gamble are pathetic. Just think how many new shooters we'd acquire if we banned option playing!!

5. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Oleolliedawg,

That's why they're called options. You always have a choice to shoot targets only.

Eric

6. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Please explain how doing away with options and calcutta's will bring in new shooters.

~Michael

7. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Slick,

Cost's and added pressure of doing well! Some find this exciting, and others intimidating.

ec90t

8. k80cmbo

k80cmbo TS Member

All you have to do is what I do.When paying for the targets I say "targets Only".It's that simple.It's not intimidating at all.

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

"Special Events" are common and part of most all shoots here in Arizona and can payoff rather well if you buy the right shooter at the right time ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

ec90t,

Option = Optional, as in you don't have to play them if you don't want to.

I for one am glad the options are there. I don't make enough money that I can send lead down the barrel of my shotgun just for kicks. Options and calcuttas help me afford to shoot ATA.

~Michael

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Watch and see how many n--- actually believe this is true! I'll say the downhill slide in our once fine game is directly related to most shooters not playing the options. Who can really blame them when they have little chance of hitting them!!

12. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Slick,

When was the last time you bought a vehicle with options at all? And yes, this is relevant. It is imbedded in our minds to get a few options, if not all. Talk to someone who sells cars and ask them how many they sell without options. The number is extremely low in comparison to ones sold that are heavily equipped.

ec90t

13. Opion8ted

Opion8ted TS Member

I have always wondered why the shooter does not get the lion's share of the loot. In was at a shoot this past weekend where the buyer got $1300 and the guy who did the work and sweat the bullets got $450. Seems backwards to an old country boy.

14. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

IT's true that openly run Calcuttas are banned in tennis and golf, but I never played in a golf tournament or scramble, that Calcuttas were not run. Unless you played in the old Oldsmobile scrambles, there is little chance of making any real money for your efforts.

Most of the state gambling authorities look the other way. Otherwise bowling league jackpots would have gone out of existence long ago. As long and the amounts don't get out of hand, and people are treated honestly, they'll continue to flourish.

Best,
    Dennis

15. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

ec90t,

Loading up with options on a car, and playing the options at a shoot are two completely different things. And I don't buy that we as humans when offered something that's optional, we have to have it. When I started shooting ATA, I took advice from fellow shooters, looked at what I could afford to lose, and what options I felt I could hit, and played accordingly. If other new shooters don't have the sense to do the same and spend themselves outta the sport due to the options, it's not the ATA or event holder's fault because they were offering options.

~Michael

16. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Slick,

It isn't, nor implied, that the ATA (or any other sactioning body/gunclub)fault that options are offered and played. It's what the shooters want!

As far as the human nature thing, it's more like an American thing. It is the way we have been conditioned. if it wasn't the case, then 'Vegas wouldn't be the gambling capital of the world.

As far as the options thing and the car reference, Do you shoot a gun that is as it was from the factory? I'll bet not. Like I stated, it's intrenched into our mind. If a little is good, then a lot is better!

ec90t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.