1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CALCUTTAS-DO SOME SHOOTERS REALLY TRY TO WIN

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    I was at a shooters auction recently, buyer split was 70-30. a couple shooters thought the split should be 60-40. i only attened 1 auction where the split was 60-40. one of the shooters said to me and another guy"if you buy me, i will pump them into the ground", rather then have you take 70% of my winnings. after hearing this, i didn't buy the guy, but he got outbid by someone else. this shooter is normaly a very good shooter. i started thinking, do you think some shooters don't try as hard at an auction shoot, compared to if they bought themselves? 30% is better than nothing. if you bought a guy and he told you this, then he shot terrible, what would you do? ATA frown's on calcutta's. what recorse is there, if any? club or individual having the auction sets the split, right?
    steve balistreri

2. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

FlaLagarto -

I wouldn't hang your hat on your statement about a shooter dumping targets.

Scott

3. Hauser

Hauser Member

Let me get this straight.

A shooter enters a calcutta and pays for the entry fee with his/her own money.

The shooter doesn't like the shooters share split (70/30 vs 60/40 and decides they are going to dump targets in protest.

The shooter dumps target thereby eliminating any chance of a pay-off and in the process throws his/her entry fee away.

Have I got this right??

Jerry Hauser

4. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

One of the many reasons the ATA does not sanction special events.

5. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I would believe if the Calcutta is tied to a ATA Handicap event and he dumps targets he would have violated a ATA rule. By the way I have heard that line used many times in many different states, so you might take it as pure BS.

Don

Don

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Calcuttas are illegal most everywhere, since they are gambling, and the State gets no part of the action.

They are overlooked by authorities since they are not recurring and not really in the public eye.

Our club was advised by an attorney not to have any part of them. But we do.

the guy just wanted to buy himself without anyone running up the price.

HM

7. angryman7

angryman7 TS Member

over the last 30 yrs. i have seen a few guys dump targets because they were outbid. i always thought a little was better than none. anyone that would dump targets in this situation is crap i can't think of a word i can type here

8. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I say 30% is better than nothing so throwing the event makes absolutely no sense. Unless the shooter is STUPID that is.....

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

It is a common courtesy for a shooter to buy back 1/2 of himself from the high bidder in a Calcutta.

jwells- Your plan outlined immediately above would only work if the shooters actually knew what the winning score would be.

Pat Ireland

10. shadow

shadow Active Member

I would only buy a shooter that had no money riding on a competitor. Targets have been deliberately missed by those that stood to win 70% rather than 30%.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.