1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Calcutta payouts???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by SeldomShoots, Sep 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Hello everyone. I am wanting to organize a handicap and 16 and what you break calcutta at my local gun club. For you calcutta shooters, I have some questions, based off your experience or gun clubs:

What is the preferred number of targets 25, 35, 50?

How much for targets and entry fee?

What portion of money after targets are paid goes to the pot, lewis, lucky number or powerball, and jackpot?

Do you pay only 2 places if there are less than 10 shooters and 3 if there are 10 or more?

Is there a proper and preferred way of figuring Lewis class payout?

How do you figure Lewis Class payout?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, John E.

2. SeldomShoots

Okay, most questions answered by PMs, I could still use the formula for figuring the payout on a first and second lewis class.

Anybody know how to do that? Thanks, John E.

3. Andy Ott

Andy Ott Guest

Luvy,Are you sure your talking about a calcutta,in my neck of the woods and all the calcuttas I've been in were like an auction.Usually the shooter pays a fee to have his name put in the calcutta,then when his name is drawn in front of some bidders he is auctioned off to the highest bidder.If there is another kind of calcutta I'm not aware of it.Hope this helps.

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

A Calcutta is usually on a 100 target event. Most often on the handicap. I maybe telling you what you already know but just in case, it works like this. Let's say you have 40 shooters who paid $10 each to enter ($400), after the auction is complete and all the money is totaled lets say you now have $4000 in the pot.

If you decide to pay 4 places then the purse for each place is as follows. 40% for the top score, 30% for 2nd high, 20% for 3rd & 10% for 4th. Now how you split the purse between buyer and shooter is up to you but lets say it's 60% to the buyer and 40% to the shooter.

So if you're the buyer of the top shooter ($1600 in the first place pot) you would collect $960 and the shooter would get $640. 2nd place pot is worth $1200 with a pay out of $720/$480 buyer shooter and so down the line. Remember that ties divide. You can have a 3 place pay out and make the buyer shooter percentages anything you want but 60/40 & 70/30 seem to be the most common.

Eric

5. SeldomShoots

Eric, this would be a bi-monthly 50 bird program or calcutta. Targets will be $7.00 and from a $15.00 entry fee I would have $8.00 to put back into the purse, jackpot, lucky number and Lewis class. I would also have the money from the sale of the shooters to put back into the purse.

Shooter/buyer split would be 50/50. I am thinking of the $8.00 per shooter pot dividing it up $5.00 per entry to the purse, $1.00 to lewis class, $1.00 to a powerball (where we draw a number and whosever score matches the number wins the powerball, if they haven't won any money in the program). I figure this could help get novice or beginning shooters willing to put their money in and play if they are not at a highly competitive level yet. Finally, put a $1.00 per shooter into a jackpot for someone who breaks all 50 targets. I will probably have make an initial donation to have a jackpot and hopefully it won't be won until its built up a little more. I would probably also break the proceeds from the sale of the shooters down proportionately with the $8.00 per shooter.

Considering that the club we won't likely have more than an average of 15-18 shooters at a time, I would probably pay 3 places and I like your break downs.
    Keep in mind this is going to be Friday evening shoot between 7:30 and 10 p.m.

But, does anyone know how you figure a Lewis Class, I still haven't had anyone tell me how to do that?

Andy, I know the shooters sell, I have always seen them sold off by name, never drawn out of a hat. In your sale do the bidders know who they are buying are they just buying say Shooter #6, 7, 3 or 4? And its kind of the luck of the draw?

Thanks, John E.

6. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Luvs2shoot,

Here's how you figure a Lewis purse. Assume you have 30 shooters who pay $10 each to enter the Lewis so you have $300. Then on a sheet of paper you list the Lewis entry scores with 100 at the top down to say 75. Now lets say you're going to pay out 3 groups with $100 for each, 2 places, 60/40 percentage purse. You can change the percentage or make it Hi-Gun with only one winner per group. The following is for 2 places, percentage purse.

With 30 entrys, you'll pay every 10 scores. So after all the scores are listed start at the top of the list, the 2 highest scores say 98 & 96 get $60 & $40 each. Then you count down 10 SCORES from the 96 and draw a line, the next two scores UNDER the line ( say 92 & 90 ) get the purse for the second group paid out the same as the first. Count down again starting with the next score under the 90 and repeat as before. Ties divide.

If you have a computer at your club you should get the 3S scoring software, it does all the calculating for you.

Eric

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Luvs2shoot,

Without the auction of the shooters that paid to enter its not really a Calcutta from those that I have seen ... The auction builds the pot along with the entry fees for the Calcutta ... What you are describeing sounds like a friday night club shoot with Lewis class, purse, powerball, super straights,long run front and back, 2 straights, longest shot, HAA and HOA all included ... People bid on specific shooters unless its a "Wildcard" and then they say who they want after the bidding, for their money as long as that shooter isn't already sold ...

Eric told you how to hold a Calcutta, how to figure pay outs on the Calcutta and a lewis class ... I have never heard of doing it any other way than he told you with a lewie class and all of the others involved ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. SeldomShoots

WPT, sorry if I wasn't clear. We will auction the shooters with them known to the crowd, and that money will go into the winnings or purse also. Its just that we have a lot of novice and beginner shooters that come to the club I belong to as well as 25-27 yard shooters. The Lewis class and powerball will allow some of the beginning shooters to participate and on occassion win a little so that we keep them comming back, until they either have good night or close to the competitive level of those who are better shooters. Another gun club within 30 miles will be closing their Friday night games and calcutta do to lack of participation and someone to run it. So I figure our club can throw more targets and provide a venue for some of those shooters a couple of times a month. Plus we already have Friday night games.

Eric, thanks for the info on the Lewis class calculation and payouts, as well as the software information. Its a big help.

Thanks, John E.

9. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Since I run the Lewis/Cacuttas at my club I'm often asked "what's a good Lewis/Calcutta number?" I tell them shoot a 100 or 99 and you're a guaranteed winner.

Eric

10. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

A couple of things:

1. The way it sounds to me this is mandatory calcutta entry. Is that correct?
    2. Your division of the money is weighted very heavy toward the top shooters.
    3. With 15 shooters, $1 lewis entry, paying 3 classes, that's only $5 per class. Will a lower ability shooter be willing to pay $15 for the chance to win $5 back?

If that's what the shooters want, then it will be fine. If not, you might want to rethink your payout structure.

Good luck with it.

11. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

mixer,

I would like to make a small correction to your explaining how to figure a Lewis payout.

You can make it percentage, percentage high nun, or simply high gun. If you pay percentage high gun, that menas only 1 number will pay per class if more than one score is hit on the number that is top.

Tim

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

John,

I understand what you are trying to do but like tom berry I wonder if those shooters will pay $15 for a possible $5 return ... If you get enough shooters you can split the Calcutta and have one for the better shooters and one for the novice shooters also, though that could get very confusing ... You could also have your $15 Calcutta and play options for $1 a piece but that will make you crazy when you try to figure it all out ... Good Luck ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. SeldomShoots

Tom, X2 and WPT, all good points and I may do some re-arranging of the number to create winnings that will try to keep all the shooters coming back. I have no doubt that it will need tweaking after it gets going. I am just hoping right now I can get it to the point of being tweakable. Thanks for all your input and help. If you live anywhere Batesville, Indiana we would love to have all of you join us at the Tri-County Coonhunters Conservation Club. If I can get this going we might have our first shoot in November. John Ertel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

calcutta payouts

calcutta wildcard
how does calcutta payout
how to figure a calcutta in trap shotting
how to figure out payout on calcutta
how to hold a calcutta
how to pay out a calcutta
lewis purse calculation