1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Calculating averages

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by calilori, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calilori

calilori TS Member

I have a question that I am sure has been asked on here before but I'm hard headed and it will take reading it a few more times before it sinks in, so here goes......When September rolls around and it's the new shooting year....let's say my average for my first year is 71, and I go out and shoot 99 my first shoot (yeah like that's going to happen!)....would that 99 be averaged with all of my previous years scores and make my average somewhere around 73ish or would it just be averaged with the 71 and be 85? Let me explain what I'm asking with simpler numbers.....let's say I shot a 0 and a 100, making my average 50 and then my first shoot I shot another 100....would my average be 200/3 making it 66ish or would it be 150/2 making it 75? Thanks again in advance. I don't want a bunch of theory and arguing, I just want the facts. Thank you. Lori

2. calilori

calilori TS Member

So how do they place me in my first shoot....and if I go out on my first shoot and run a 99 will that put me in AAA class?

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Hello Lori, being my first year shooting trap I have had the same thoughts about averages. My score card is a mess,,,correct but a mess. I shot a few marathons A shot at 300 singles with a score of 264 or something. At my first shoot was told i scored it wrong i should have wrote the scores down per 100. Anyway I found it best to just score for every 100(singles) and keep a running average. After that just shoot your best dont worry about what class. Try going to trapshooters home page scroll down to scoretrackersoftware and install it. this works great for tracking your scores/averages. I figured a average is a average. About my score card, was told marking 264/300 they could not determine how i shot. I could have had 200 straight then a 64, or a lower combination. This could affect my classification. Im a D class shooter as of now but been shooting much better latly. My first score ATA was a 65 my best 95

4. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

If I remember correctly, they will go by what you shot in the previous year by looking at your scores on the back of last years card and by the average on the front of your new card.

September 1st, if you break a 99, that's what you start with for the new year as the beginning of the new years average and no, you won't be placed in AAA - unless you keep repeating it! :)

Theoretically, you need 5 scores to make an average and you should be placed in the class you finished the prior year out in until those 5 scores are completed.

If I remember correctly...:)

5. calilori

calilori TS Member

Thank you Sherree, that's exactly what I was looking for......the rest of you yahoos....thanks for not letting me down!!!!

6. JOND

JOND TS Member

Interesting to note that nowhere in the rule book does the ATA make any mention of how many decimal points does a shooter have to use in calculating their average. You would guess 2 points as reflected by their printed average card. JOND

7. calilori

calilori TS Member

Gary you know I love you!!!! But I was looking for a little more detail than you provided.....

8. Dale Z

Dale Z TS Member

On the home page of TS.com click online info then click Trap Diary Calculator Download it All you have to do is enter your score. Great little program works with Excel I use it for my registered targets plus 2 league scores.

Dale

9. calilori

calilori TS Member

I know how to calculate my scores. It's just simple averaging. It's not rocket science. What I was asking is how it works at the beginning of a shooting year.

10. calilori

calilori TS Member

Dale, I'm sorry if my answer sounded kind of snotty. It wasn't meant to be. When I reread it I realized that it didn't come out how I meant it to be. I hope you didn't take offense. None was intended. I'm just trying to figure out how hard it is going to be for me to move up this next year.

11. calilori

calilori TS Member

Yes, but there are no tournaments in my area right now, so I have nothing better to do than contemplate this stuff. Besides I have a whole week off and nothing to occupy my mind!!!

12. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Come up here - we have plenty. Nevada County has an ATA shoot this weekend (doubles marathon & 100 'caps Saturday, regular program Sunday) and Livermore has an ATA shoot this weekend. Nothing at CC.

13. calilori

calilori TS Member

I'm tempted....soooooo tempted, but by this weekend I'll be back in work mode. I start back to work on Tuesday. This is my first official day off...so much for teachers having 3 months off!!!!

14. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

I'm thinking about shooting at Nevada County on Saturday. I love doubles and I've never shot a marathon before. That would be a hoot. I know, long way to come up just for one day. Then again, Lori & Dave did it a couple of weeks ago! September is getting closer!!!! LOL

15. calilori

calilori TS Member

LISA and Dave....I'm Lori....LOL....our friend Anthony does that to us all the time too!!!

16. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

OOPS, uh DUH....LOL - I was thinking Lisa and wrote Lori -- my apologies to the both of you! Really, I am sorry. :)

17. calilori

calilori TS Member

LOL...it's ok it's the "L"s that do it. I don't mind being called Lisa. I just wish I could shoot like her.

I can't wait for September. This is going to be a LONG two months!!!

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

caliori- A couple of hints. Draw a line after your last shoot in August and write 2008 below this line. You will not get your 2008 average card until late Sept.-Nov. This lets you quickly transfer your 2008 scores to your new card when it arrives. Only average the 2008 scores below this line. Anyone classifying you will look at both the 2007 and 2008 scores.

Pat Ireland

19. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Starshot -

You wrote "Theoretically, you need 5 scores to make an average and you should be placed in the class you finished the prior year out in until those 5 scores are completed."

I don't think there is much "theory" required with regards to the definition of an average. According to one dictionary, average is "The value obtained by dividing the sum of a set of quantities by the number of quantities in the set". As you can see, there is no reference made to a minimum number of values required to make this computation work. I guess you could argue if 1 value constitutes a "set" or not, but it seems pretty clear that 2 would qualify.

Also, I'd like to know where in the rulebook you found that you use the prior year average until you complete 5 scores in the current year, or was that part of the theory?

Scott

20. Marco Polo

Marco Polo TS Member

Here is a free software for tracking your averages. It is from 3-s software by George Cook. WORKS great for me. Download the scores tracker software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.