1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Caesar Guerini blowing up

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RHAT, Apr 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RHAT

RHAT Member

has anyone heard of the new Caesar Guerini shotguns blowing up when shot,??

2. dverna

dverna Active Member

Only if they have sat beside a K-80 for more than an hour before use.

I warn people NOT to put their CG's near my Trap Special.

I am a very caring person.

Don Verna

3. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Hey Don:
    Did you buy my Top single barrel from me? Dave T.

4. jbrucejr

jbrucejr Member

Mine is still in one piece.

I have about 5000 shells through my Magnus Trap combo (about 4500 through the unsingle and 500 through the O/U). It had about 1000-2000 on it when I purchased it.

There is what I will still call a rumor that the gun that blew up earlier this year in Canada was a CG.

I think the main thing with all these "exploding" guns is reloads or a wad in a barrel from a dud. DON"T GET ME WRONG - I shoot reloads except when I need new hulls to reload.

John

5. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

To whom did he blow up at?

6. Trapped in Trap(TIP)

Trapped in Trap(TIP) Member

That is not a rumor. You can do an internet search on "Guerini Blows up" or something similar and find the news accounts. There are other websites where the shooters that were on the line stated their injuries and what happened.

Recently, I had a Summit Combo for sale on this site with a DeVault stock that blew up 2 weeks ago. Had about 30,000 rounds through it and yes, it was a reload. Hard to say the cause was, but the receiver and chamber blew some distance. A piece of the receiver took a nice slice out of my forearm. The barrel was not blocked as there is no internal damage to the barrels. Gun is now at Guerini and I have yet to hear from them on what they think happened and what they might do about it. What happened to my gun is very similar to what happened to the gun in Kelowna. I believe the gentleman was also using a reload. By the way, that failure was a thread subject on this site in January.

There is a reliable report of a Guerini blowing in Kentucky and I heard a sporting clays version blew at Nellis AFB last week, though that still has rumor status, as I have not yet talked to anyone who was there. I shoot league with a guy who shoots a summit sporting clays gun, so one wonders.

Everyone has a theory, including me. However, I will wait to see what Guerini believes the cause was before I opine.

Regards,

Russ Roberts
    Las Vegas, NV

7. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Do guns blow up or do reloads blow up?

8. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

The gun fails, given that same shell that made a certain gun blow up might not make another blow up.

9. mj19

mj19 TS Member

If one would do the research you might find that most fire arms have failed for one reason or another.

10. Trapped in Trap(TIP)

11. SmittyK80

SmittyK80 TS Member

If I was to inject my opinion in regards to this issue I would have to say that there is some kind of metalurgical problems that have been encountered prior to or during the manufacturing process. If it was at all possible I would retain a piece of the fractured material and have it anylized at an independant metalurgical lab and also have them do a fracture analyst on the material. I am a QC consultant in the metals/fabrication fields and have seen fracture/failures on so called sound materials involving pressures of some kind and it usually boils down to metal failure or fatigue, due to materials failure or the manufacturing process, not the problems that are evident with a reloaded shell and the gun blowing up as I have seen. Lets face it, what are the test parameters for saftey in our guns today? I think most are pretty stringent to the required saftey factors in order to keep themselves out of a lawsuit of some kind. Another thing to think about is even if these reloads were double charged with shot and powder, today we are shooting 2oz loads with alot more powder in some of the factory hunting shells. Yes the pressures may be somewhat different but I don't see this as being a problem in todays firarms as the engineering for funtion and saftey that goes into the design should more than allow for this kind of problem.
    Dwight

12. chipking

chipking TS Member

Just to throw my 2 pennies in. I have been following these posts on the blow ups and while reading another post on a different topic I found a question/complaint about some mono block guns "weeping" a brown fluid around the barrel/monoblock line. Some guns did it a couple of time after being shot and then it never happened again and others always did it after being shot. I can tell you that when this happens in refinished firearms it is a sign that the bluing process was not completely stopped. This brown fluid is a product of the bluing process still corroding metal. If not stopped in handguns the interior of the handgun will be rusted as badly as if the gun had been sprayed with saltwater. I would imagine that would be a VERY VERY bad thing if allowed to continue in the very thin, highly stressed area of the monoblock and barrel. It would be interesting to know how many of the shooters who have had these types of blow ups had been seeing weeping at that joint.

--- Chip King ---

13. jsteenson

jsteenson Member

Now that they have been around for a while I'm starting to hear of problems of doubling when the gun is still close to new,we may have wolf in sheeps clothing here,I'll wait to hear more before I buy one.Jack

14. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

There is obviously some type of combination of factors that cause a detonation to occur in reloaded shells that result in pressures that guns are not designed to handle.

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I will give you something to think about concerning detonation. Take for example Longshot powder which is popular for trapshooter reloading. It is a slow burning, flattened ball powder, which is 34% nitroglycerin. HMB

16. Trapped in Trap(TIP)

17. Trapped in Trap(TIP)

They sent the gun to White Labs for testing. I haven't heard anything on what they think the cause of the failure was.

18. g36

g36 Member

We had an 11-87 blow up from the breech end at my club a couple of weeks ago. I wasn't there at the time so I don't know the specifics, reloads, obstruction etc... but I did see some peices of metal and forarm wood we picked up from the trap field. The shooter needed some stiches in his hand.

19. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: You can do an internet search on "Guerini Blows up"

I did a Google search and the only thing that showed up was this thread...

20. otnot

otnot Active Member

A friend of mine had his Guerini blow up two weeks ago while shooting skeet.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

caesar guerini blowing up

caesar guerini blows up
caesar guerini summit sporting problems
caesar guerini summit trap blow ups
cg summit sporting review
full tholu kolar blows

guerini blows up

gureini blow ups