1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cadillac of powder?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Big Al 29, May 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Factory shell = Federal Paper

Wad = Remington Fig 8

Primer = Remington

Loader = Spolar

Shot = Lawrence or West Coast Mag

These are my "cadillac's" of shotshells and their components.

I can't afford any of it.

How about powder?

What is the cadillac of powder?

I do not mean what you use but with money being no object what is the absolute cadillac of powder for Trap?

I say PB would be my choice if money was no object.

My cheapo load brands (not that they don't do the job very well)

Gun Clubs or Federal Walmart shells if I were to shoot factory's.

Promo Powder,
    Rio Primer,
    10-15x loaded STS hull,
    Whatever shot I can get the cheapest,
    Blue Duster wad,
    Mec 9000G loader.

2. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

BucPride,

Here is my Cadillacs, and I load this because I like this best, not for savings.

Empty Hull: STS

Primer: Fiocchi

Powder: Promo for 1 ounce, International Clays 1 1/8 ounce

Wad: Downrange XL-1 1/8 for 1 1/8 ounce, Downrange DRRT12 (TGT12 clone) for 1oz

Shot: Lawrence Magnum

Reloader: Hornady 366

When I shoot factory loads, I usually shoot STS or Nitro 27. Just for the saving of the hull. If I had alot of money.....Federal Papers. Love the smell and the way it breaks targets.

Matt Woodson

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Recently I've been using Gold Dot, a limited-distribution product supplied at no cost to the EC and at a sharp discount to selected All-American Team members. It is far ahead of anything generally available to the public, with "superb" (Man how that word grates on me!) pellet distributions and shot strings which are neither so short as to cost you an angle target nor so long as to lead to a measurable decrease in pattern density.

Eat your hearts out.

No, actually, all this stuff is about the same, patterns within a dozen pellets of one-another, and will hit all well-pointed birds without exception.

Neil

4. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I forgot to add. The only thing cheap about Alliant Promo powder is the price. It is my number 2 selling powder in the reloading supply business!

Matt

5. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Not even close for me!! If money was not an issue I would load nothing ever for 27 yards but 7625 which is a big brother of PB but better metering and even lower pressures! Tom Rhoads

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I tried some of Neil's Gold Dot powder. He wasn't looking, so I snuck some out.

Amazing stuff!! You use the same wad for 7/8, 1 oz, and 1 1/8!! You just reduce

the powder appropriately and everything fits in any tapered case! Amazing...

Well, another dram of tequila is being delivered. Enjoy...

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Ha, superb pellet distributions. gonna remember that one.

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Sarge

Cotton Linters? You mean like the process that produces the fuzzy stuff from a T shirt in your Belly Button? :)

The Gold Standard powder would depend on what shot weight and velocity I was loading AND what I was going to use it for, not to mention the gauge. I'm sure there would be two or three selections for every category. After a hundred years or so of smokeless powder, I think they have made a little progress in the manufacture of it. There are some very decent powders to choose from. Still waiting for Gold Dot though.

9. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

The Supreme Components are:

1. STS or Nitro 27 Hulls

2. Rem 209 Primers

3. Fig. 8 or TGT 12 Wads

4. Remington Shot

5. Tite Group for Handicap and Solo for most everything else.

6. Insert the above combination in MX 10 RS, set, look, let trigger go; it does not get any better.

7. Tune in next week boys and girls and I can tell you where to ship your New STS and Nitros to for immediate unloading and I will ship you once fired hulls. Generosity is my main virtue.

Charlie Becknell

10. jimbohughes

jimbohughes TS Member

THATS IT !! I've been using the wrong powder ...........

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Isn't Cadillac going out of business, or at least in banckruptcy? OR are you talking about the Dog Food? :)

12. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

PB, but I haven't used it for 20 years. I can't afford a Cadillac.

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

PB. However Green Dot would be a close second, Maybe even first on the back line.

14. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

Nitro 100 and Solo 1000 would be my pick.

Dennis

15. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

BigM-Perazzi, as I told you yesterday when we were waiting for our squad to shoot, Gold Dot's ability to cover any shot weight with any wad is due to its proprietary inverse weight-to-volume characteristic, an industry first and shared only, as far as I know, by helium and Jenny Craig customers.

While we at the ATA much appreciate the maker's fairness and generosity in giving us so much for testing, we have regretfully had to ask that it not be marketed, like the 100 MPG carburetor and for much the same reasons - it's simply too good. Were it to "go viral" as everyone seems to be saying these days, we would need a AAAA class at least and the cutoff for D class would have to rise to maybe 94. And forget the 30-yard line and three hole! More like 40 and four if you ask me.

I plan to just shoot up my last few dozen pounds, save a thimbleful for the Hall of Fame Museum, and reflect on what "might have been."

Neil

16. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Neil - You are one generation of powders behind the curve. Already being tested by the elite of the skeet world is Platinum Dot. Not only does it do everything your Gold Dot does, but it does it in all four of the skeet gauges.

Rumor is they are working on Diamond Dot for the Sporting souls. 3,000 fps velocities, low pressure, and no recoil for those 60 yard crossers. No leads required.

17. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

For 1 1/8 mine is 19.0 PB,Gold Medal,S-3,209A or Fio 616. For 1oz everything stays the same except for the wad,use an SO. Taper hulls==1oz Rem STS,Rem TGT,16.3 Clays,Rem primer. For 7/8 oz all stays the same except use a WW gray wad. I have shot,patterned & chrono'ed all of the above in many guns. If I can afford to shoot a $3-8000 gun & pay a minimun of $6-7 to shoot ONE round of Trap/Skeet what's a few pennies on a box of reloads.

18. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

e3 and Green Dot

~Michael

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.