1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Caculating the number of shells per lb. powder

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dkimbler, Oct 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkimbler

dkimbler TS Member

I am checking the cost of reloading vs. buying retail on shot shells.
    I need to know how many shells you should get per pound of powder.
    what measurement per shell? This would be for trap shooting.

Thanks

David

2. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

7000 grains per pound.

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

7000 grains to a pound. Divide grains your dropping into 7000 and your close depending on spills/mishaps.

4. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I think there's a calculator at the entrance to TS. look at the links.

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

http://www.trapshooters.com/rlcalcadv.htm try above link

6. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

I shoot i oz loads and use 16.9 grains of clays powder at about 1150 fps. A this rate i get about 415 shells per pound

7. dkimbler

dkimbler TS Member

Thanks gentlemen, all 5 of you. I appreciate the help. I will now be able to make a decision retail vs. reloading.

Thank You

David

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

One might also be able to develop loads that are not commercially available to fit their special needs.

Pat Ireland

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I started loading for Pats reason above. The more my wife shoots the more I shoot. Finding the low recoil loads in my area is hard. Heck most cant keep a decent stock of ammo or at least consistent. If you use the cost calculator you can punch in your loader cost and factor that in. My reloading plan is easy. I simply reload on days I would normally shoot. Like raining,windy,cold or range for what ever reason is closed. I try to load at least 250/500 shells each sitting. I have bought all my loaders used at great buys. I have been turning into a bit of a MEC junky. I like to rehab them and sell them when possible. Right now I have 5 loaders for myself. 2 650s 12g for 1oz and a 20g
    1 9000g for 7/8< just to conserve lead i use for practice and fun shooting. 2 600s for exsperimental loads. 1 set up for steel, when that day comes. Plus I ran my first 50, 75 and 98 with my reloads. That feels good. Its nice when someone says " nice shooting what you use for shells, "I load my own" I am taking the winter off from tap. I am going to load up the rest of my supply about 3800 rounds. Then its stock up time.

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you use 17.5 grains you get 400 shells per pound. 400 x 17.5 = 7000. HMB

11. dkimbler

dkimbler TS Member

Hello-- I appreciate your advice. I would tend to agree, as the savings would be minimum. Just fun to shoot. Thanks-Have a great day.

David

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.