1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

CABELAS - How they price shotguns?!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by pheasantsgalore, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

I have bought "some" shotguns thru one Cabelas only, IF it was a good deal. Only IF.......it was a good deal. Otherwise, some of their guns, especially Perazzis, are so overpriced for used guns, I wonder how they ever come up with a price. Right now there is a single barrel gun, priced as high as a similar gun, but a combo, from 2 reputable dealers who advertise and support ts.com. I've also noticed how some of their prices have come down quite a lot, as they have paid too much for these guns. I'm not saying ALL Cabelas are the same, but I wonder how they arrive at some of the prices they decide to sell their guns for, either hunting, or competitive shotguns. Glad there are lots of good dealers on ts.com to deal with, besides some individuals who deal on ts.com on a regular basis..............Rob

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I almost bought a shotgun at the Cabela's in Hamburg, PA, the price was good as it had been reduced for a quick sale but when they figured in the state tax (6%), it became a bad deal. I tried to negotiate but they were rigid on the price and tax.

I eventually bought the same model Beretta from a dealer in Delaware where there is no sales tax.

Curt

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Big outfits like Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops set the prices for all their stores and employ the cost-plus a certain percentage for everything, even though it might be customary for gun shops to make more on some things and less on others.

An old friend of mine is the gun manager for the local Bass Pro Shop and once told me how it took him years to convince the powers than be that he couldn't make his standard markup on some things because in this area, every shop takes a short markup on them. That BPS, by the way, still has one bag of Lawrence magnum shot on a shelf for $65.00. The lettering on the bag is almost gone from the bag being cleaned so many times. My friend is keeping it on display in hopes that a district manager will ask him about it.

You also have to remember that a lot of hunters and gun collectors do not have a small local gun shop two miles from their homes and depend upon trips to places like Cabela's and BPS for their gun shopping. Those folks may not know what the true street value for a gun is and an old adage in business is, "you can't make a profit without first asking for it."

But I've made some good buys at that BPS. I have two rifles and a crossbow that came from there and in both cases, I was unable to find a better price at another shop. I also buy reloading supplies there when my local shop is closed or does not have something I need quickly. BPS is a little more expensive but it's not a hateful amount.

Ed

4. pheasantsgalore

Ed, I totally see your point, with last paragragh. But I once saw a K-80, in KC, that was SOOOOOOO loose, and rattled so bad, and it was a ridiculaous price. Most shoppers for a higher end gun, would do their homework, and do a lot of shopping around, but given the repairs this gun needed, etc., among other similar high-end guns I've seen in my travels, that need a lot of repairs, seems that they are either not experienced enough in the so called gun-trade, or just don't care. I bought a hunting gun, that I took back, as it didn't even fire. Their customer service in most cases is top notch, especially with the one I only deal with. The one I returned that didn't even fire, I found 2 other issues with, and got a refund. Then a few weeks later, I saw the same gun on their rack, but $150.00 less.

5. zarathrusta

zarathrusta TS Member

My experience with Cabela's is mostly negative - especially their return policy.

6. Mark-in-Maine

Mark-in-Maine Member

My Cabela's experience[Scarborough,Me] went like this.
    The gun I brought in to trade was junk[it was 6 mos old]
    The gun they were selling was the best gun EVER.
    They were losing money on their gun.

7. Play Dead

Play Dead Member

New guns at Cabela's are priced with the cost per percentage method as stated. These prices are set by the company, not by the local retail outlet. Guns that go on sale are also dictated by the company, not necessarily the individual retail store.

Used guns/Trade-ins are a different matter. Guns are purchased from sellers and then prices are set at the going market rate. These guns are sold through the Gun Library sections of some of their retail stores. Sometimes, too high a price is paid for a gun and consequently it might be listed at a high sale price. Other times, collections are bought and guns are assigned a lower acquisition value. Talk to the Outfitters and see if there is room to negotiate. Point out your concerns, tell them how much it might cost for you to make the gun viable. You may be surprised to find out that they are willing to deal.

New gun sales are rarely negotiable, unless you are buying more than one gun. If you are buying a number of guns, ask for a volume discount. Gun Library sales are negotiable. Offer a price you are willing to pay for the gun. If you purchase a gun at a bad price, it is your fault, not Cabela's.
    If you think a gun is loose or needs repair or is not up to factory standards, as most competition guns are (many have been modified and shot hard), use that a negotiation tool to obtain a lower price. If they won't deal, don't buy.

Most Gun Library customers are looking for collectible guns that are original and have never been modified. Competition guns are not good guns to deal with as in many cases they have been used hard and highly customized by owners. It may be best to purchase competition guns from dealers who specialize in these products. Most Cabela Gun Library Outfitters may not know the subtleties and problem areas for specific competition guns. Perhaps their expertise is more aligned with collectible firearms

I've bought at least five guns from Cabela's in Hamburg PA, and never once had a bad deal. Also remember, when trading a gun in, even if it is only six months old, don't expect to get paid more than the wholesale price of the gun minus the deterioration that the gun has seen. If they can buy a brand new gun for $750 wholesale (selling it for $1000 retail), why would they pay you more than $650 for that same gun in a trade, even when you just paid a grand for it? This is not unique to Cabela's, ask any gun dealer the same question.

As far as their return policies, I disagree with the previous posters. I have seen first hand that they are extremely fair, especially with guns. So fair in fact, that I am sure that their return policies are changing because of untruthful or bad customers taking advantage of it. I have purchased guns with problems from other gun stores and the problems became mine and the gun manufacturers. At Cabela's, I've seen them replace guns with problems and deal with the manufacturer's themselves on these troubled guns. Transparent to the customer. I haven't bought a gun from them in the last two years, but I would not hesitate to do business with them in the future.

Play Dead

8. pheasantsgalore

Play Dead,
    Totally understand. I also stated their customer service is top notch. Have a good one,......Rob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

does cabelas ever put sale on shotguns

how does cabelas pay you when you trade a gun

used guns negotialbe cabelas

when cabelas open a new store what shootgun do they put on sale