1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cabela's gun buyer pleads guilty. Read the news.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by new loader, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. new loader

new loader Member

Cabela

In case anyone was wondering whatever became of the initial story.

2. chuckles

chuckles Member

Cabela's "lost their way" years ago... taken over by Corporate Elites, they are basically a Clothing store now.

Their level of Outdoor experience is very limited...

Their hiring and firing (Human Resources) is a joke and that
    is why guys like in the article can pull the crap that they do....

They are cluless when it comes to Outfitting....

On the bright side though they do offer jobs to people and that's a plus.....

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Hammond is pretty close to Chicago. Maybe it's something in the water.

We had a store go down locally when the BATF came in and found a lot of long guns (30+) missing after auditing the FFL bound book.

Turned out there was a heating air intake duct that went through the store room, and the emplyee(s) were putting the guns ito the duct, then coming back at night and removing the grille outside to get them out of the duct. A lot of scopes, binoculars, cameras, etc went out that way too.

Lost his FFL license and closed within a year.

HM

4. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

They have changed there return polices more in the last few years than you can impagine. Now I know why. Use to be you could return anything with or without a receipt. Now you have 90 days with a receipt. I guess if you are losing a millon dollars from employees I understand why.

5. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Wow, Pete Tryand was helpful to me when I first started trapshooting. He seemed like an ok guy. I'm shocked. I guess that's why nobody has seen him around.

6. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

He bought several guns from people on here.

7. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

Cabela's just had a shakeup not too long ago at the Hoffman Estates store in Illinois. The gun room manager was "replaced", and three salesmen are no longer there. This store is located in Cook county also, kind of fitting isn't it? I still get the feeling that something is not quite right there. There are several stories going around about the dealings there.

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Retail Firearms dealing does not need to have its undies soiled by these kind of shenanigans.

We have enough problems as it is.

HM

9. Gunnerandbabe

Gunnerandbabe TS Member

What the word on the other 3?

10. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

I have heard that the 3 salesmen were fired. There are stories circulating, that customers would bring in guns to sell to Cabela's, and the guns would instead be purchased by the salesmen, to be either put into their own collections, or sold to other individuals outside the store. There are stories about guns "disappearing" from inventory. Also guns being "cherry picked" by salesmen to be put in their own collections or sold to their friends, etc.

In my opinion, the gun dept is still being run in a "piss poor" manner, even with the change in management. Guns are listed on their website as being availeable for sale, but yet when you call to inquire about a certain firearm, you are told that they can't locate the firearm, or it may be on hold, etc. Yet one week later the same firearm is still listed on the website as available for sale, and if you call again, you are again given the "run-around". There is something very strange going on with the gunroom at the Hoffman Estates Cabela's, and I no longer waste my time attempting to shop there!

11. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I remember when Cabela's just had a little 3 page sales flyer. Fishing lures and such. Seems like I get a different catalog every week now. They even send me a hard bound book once a year. I wonder how much that costs them?

12. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Cabela's prices are for the most part larceny.

13. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Hornet, you are lucky that it's only once a week...we get something almost daily, and that's no exaggeration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

pete tryand cabelas