1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Cabela's, Good and Bad

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Hydra, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

I ordered a new rain coat from Cabela's because I gave my other one to my duck guide who liked it and needed one. He was a tall person who was having a hard time finding one that fit. Anyway I gave him that one that did fit him and I ordered a new one from Cabela's. Its a heavy duty rain coat that will fit over the duck hunting coat and wadders. It cost me over the phone $49.99 and 8.95 for S+H. Total $58.94. I ordered it on Sat and got it today. I opened the package and the coat had a price tag of $39.95. I was not happy. I called and was given another number to call. I said I wanted the PR department. They connected me to person 1 and I got an answering machine. I called back and got #2 answering machine, #3 same, #4 the same thing, #5 same, #6 finally picked up the phone. I was not happy to have to call back that many times. I told her what was going on and she tried to brush it off. I would not let her and forced the issue on her. She kept asking how did I come up with that price because the cat and computer says its 49.99. I don't care what your cat or computer says the tag which is your tag on the coat saids its 39.95. She some what gave up knowing I was not going to let up after 10 mins of this. She said she was not the person to talk to but that she would have someone call me back. They did and tried to do the same song and dance. They gave up after 5 min and said that they will send out the diff in a check. They also said the coat in the store might have been on sale and they just did not remove the tag. So be it but the price on the tag is the price on the tag. I like Cabela's but I thought they were more honest then that. I did not like the run around or the price difference. Just wanted you all to know.

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I have never had a problem of any kind with them... They have always been very curtious and helpful.

Now sit back and think of the volume of business they do. Think anyone might have tried to scam them using the same info you were? Iam not discounting the fact that your claim was legit but Iam sure they receive many calls from ones who are not...

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Someone in the warehouse may have been placing the wrong pricing on the garments/items just for laffs....kinda like the kids working in a pharmacy poking pinholes in condoms....

Then again...maybe your name was picked at random by the committee that runs the "weekly, piss off the customer" contest.???

Curt

4. rd

rd TS Member

I have bought TONS of stuff from them over the years and have been very happy with the quality of the goods and with the service. I have a great winter parka I bought fifteen years ago and I have worn it every day of every winter since then. When I wash it , it looks like the day I brought it home.

5. Kerz

Kerz Member

Always had excellent service from Cabelas. I've been buying from them for years.
    Vic

6. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

I to have had good luck with them in the past. All they had to do was to not give me the run around and just do the right thing. I even offered to take a pic of the tag and email it to them. Whether it was a mistake or not I still got a item that was over priced. If that was a in the store sale only that fine but they should watch things.

7. len loma

len loma TS Member

Expensive? Yes but I'd rather spend the extra $ then have a trip ruined by failure of a piss poor product. Sportman's Guide case in point.

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

They sell good stuff. I'm a favorite customer. I can tell by the number of catalogs I receive....LOL

9. DJM

DJM Member

When I hear these kinds of disputes I always ask, What was the contract? In this case the contract was they would sell you a particular rain coat for $58.94 delivered to you. You have a reasonable expectation that they would propmtly send you the exact coat you ordered in new condition, and that it perform as advertised. You do not state otherwise so I assume they shipped the exact coat you ordered. So how did Cabelas not fulfill the contract they made with you?

10. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

We shop in the Boise store and have been amazed at the deals they continue to give us. Last time I was there I bought a pair of their women's Danner pronghorn boots. I had a coupon at the register, plus some bonus points on my credit card that would already give me a big discount. Then she asked if I brought my other coupon which I had forgotten. She pulled one out from underneath the counter and said that's OK, she'd use an extra and for me to tear up the one at home. Without even hardly trying, I saved $70 on the boots. And if you go in the store with a catalog that has a lower price on an item than the store price, they don't ask questions, they just give you the lower price. Although some of the stuff we've bought has been cheaply made in China (such as the meat processing stuff) it was at least offered at a price we could afford.

I would say your experience is out of the norm, but thanks for letting us know.

Jennifer

11. DB3006

DB3006 Member

All catalogs have a disclamier that reads....Prices subject to change without notice.

DB

12. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Since the contract was for what some tag on the item read rather than what you agreed to, I'm certain that if the tag had read $79.95 you would have promptly sent them the difference. Yea, right. The rip off artist was not Cabela's.

13. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

OK lets put it this way. If you all went into a gun store in town or out of town and the gun you have been wanting was suppose to be $1000.00 and you saw it marked NIB for $600.00 would you tell the clerk it was priced wrong or would you start writting your check? I say you cheap tight bums would write the check. All they had to do was remove the tag and I would not have known about the price differance. I'm not cheap but I do not like being ripped off. If its priced in the store at a lower price then thats the price I want like anyone else.

14. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Cabela's....all good for me!

15. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

We have a local hardware store where the help isn't the best and brightest. I have on MANY occasions corrected them to the correct higher price. Yea, I'm a cheap, tight bum but then I'm not the one who has spent hours agonising over ten dollars, and no I wouldn't write the check if I thought a thousand dollar item was incorrectly labeled 600. You are very good at justifying your greed Hydra.

16. obfd13

obfd13 Member

probably should have kept your raincoat and let the duck guide call cabelas to buy his own. might have saved yourself a little grief here.

17. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

Wiseguy, talks cheap and your BS walks. You would write that check faster then you think.

18. 5spd

5spd TS Member

Cabelas like any other retail outlet has pricing problems here & there and if not pointed out wont be corrected. I was double charged on an online order last year & didnt see it until it my bill arrived, yes they took care of me, but again it should not of happend in the 1st place on their end.
    Some think $10 is not a big deal....yes it is especially as much as it happens in the retail world. Its not just cabelas either.

19. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I worked retail, a former Western Auto associate owner. As one who always preferred making the customer right, I would have taken care of the customer with the offer of a $10. gift card. This keeps the customer and gets him/her back in the store.

I always remembered the customers that I tried hard to make happy like this. Most of the time they became lifetime customers. On rare occasion, however, there were alway one or two who took advantage of me. Those folks I didn't mind holding my ground. I didn't want them as customers then anyway.

20. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I guess you're right Hydra. I bought some stuff at the 99 cent store tonight and when I got the basket out to my truck I found a toenail clippers in some clutter at the bottom. I don't know how they got there but I didn't take them back in and stand in line for ten minutes to return them and explain. I stand before you an ashamed and admonished man. Maybe it's time for me to leave................sniff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.