1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Cabela's Coming To Western New York--Unbelievable!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Raymond D. Stromecki, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Raymond D. Stromecki

Raymond D. Stromecki TS Member

Cabela

They will be putting up a store in Cheektowaga, N.Y., across the street from the Galleria Mall.

I can't believe they would "lower" themselves to come to such an ANTI GUN State!!! Cray
  2. Catpower

Catpower Well-Known Member

I think they make more money selling stuff unrelated to shooting
  3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Active Member

Their nothing but Gander Mtn anymore. Just like the old Abercrombie....
  4. rpeerless

rpeerless TS Member

Wow sneaker sales, candles and camo naughty nighties :( Not to mention the canned nuts and jerky...and maybe a GUM library with Beeman's Teaberry, Clove and Big Red.
  5. larrystrollo

larrystrollo Member

And the added benefit for all us NYers: we get to start paying taxes on our Cabelas online purchases.
  6. Raymond D. Stromecki

Don't overlook Sportsmen Guide.I've been buying most of my "stuff" from them.

Don't just reley on their catalogs. Go on line for all their items. Cray
  7. skeet_man

skeet_man Active Member

Larry- I was thinking exactly the same thing. Thankfully I don't buy much from Cabelas anyways.

And just FYI to those of you who haven't been to a cabelas before. They are NOT all created equal (same with Bass Pro and Gander Mtn). I've been to 3 or 4 different cabelas now. The ones in Wheeling WV and Hamburg PA are great, the one in Dundee MI isn't even worth getting off the highway for. I have a feeling this new one in Buffalo will be pretty small scale.
  8. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Active Member

Once the initial sight seeing draw is over, it just becomes another high priced store. Of course, if that is all that is available in your area, you may be happy with that.
  9. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Active Member

With the gift card in hand, Barb & I drove the $10 bucks worth of gas (filled up before & after) down to the new store on I-71 just two exits south from the Buckeye Classic. They had duplicate products scattered throughout the store, apparently to fill space, which appeared to be mostly "back room" merchandise. I wanted shooting gloves....junk, then thought, well, a couple of cans of G-96 and some 22 shells would eat up the $25 card....nope, none in the store. My opinion of the new "downsized" marketing plan is ....FAIL! We went away empty handed. Cabela's used to be so nice....sigh..
  10. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Cabela's put a new store in over here in Columbus, OH and if I can remember right the grand opening was some time in April ........ I still haven't been to it and I only live 10 mins from it.
  11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Active Member

And many are "mini" stores too.
  12. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Active Member

That's the one, Rick. Don't waste your time. It's sad, really, first Woolrich, the gold standard for quality clothing, now Cabela's, the sporting world's new Wallyworld, only at higher prices. :-(
  13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

It's nice to be able to go there to try on clothes. Especially since size charts are all over the board.

What cheesed me off is that primers were being rationed, and this was long before any of the panics started. If they're going to ration reloading components there is no way I'm driving 110 miles just to be limited to 100 primers.

On the other hand, before the panic, Cabelas did carry more variety of ammo than anyone in the local area. Dicks sucks. They don't even have 223 55gr soft point. That's like the gold standard for varmint hunters. The old GI Joes chain that went bankrupt only carried the Accusport line, and only their computer generated top sellers (which many sat on the shelf because while they understood marketing technique they did not understand what gun owners wanted to buy). Sportsmans Warehouse was a step in the right direction when they first opened. They've bellied up now, and have been replaced by some lame Canadian outfit. The only local chain that does a fairly decent job is Fishermans Marine and Outdoor, and even they're gotten lame for clothing selection. They used to have the best selection of kids hunting clothes anywhere. So aside from the eye candy, Cabelas at least has variety, though prices are high.
  14. blizzard

blizzard TS Member

I don't know why anyone would go in there for shooting supplies when Buffalo Gun Center is basically 15min away.
  15. Raymond D. Stromecki

They choose the Bflo. area over Syracuse because of the Canadian trade.
    88,000 sq. foot store.

Blizzard: I agree with you. Cray
  16. skeet_man

skeet_man Active Member

That's teeny tiny for a cabelas. Even smaller than our Gander Mtn in Henrietta.

By comparison, of the Cabelas I've been to, Hamburg is 250k square ft, Wheeling is 175k, Dundee is 225k (would have guess Wheeling was bigger than Dundee).

Columbus, which I'll visit in a couple weeks, is 80k, so I guess it'll be similar in size layout to the Buffalo one.
  17. dougp

dougp TS Member

For what it is worth , Bass Pro is opening on the Queen Elizabeth Hwy here in Ontario Canada on the way to Buffalo or Niagara Falls N,Y in May 2014 so us Canadians won,t bother to go to Cabela,s in Cheekatawaga . This locaion folks for Bass Pro is before we get to the the border and with all our American Friends coming up to Ontario Canada who fish and hunt have easy access as an interchange already exists . Bass Pro was going to open in Buffalo area but did not for some reason, This location in Canada is tied in with Premium Factory outlet stores which are in the procees of the deveolpment now , The Bass pro shop will be about 80 thousand sg, ft so Cabela,s will have to rely on the local market in the Buffalo Market , Looks like Bass Pro did an end around Cabela,s . Besides I go to the Buffalo Gun Centre for my components etc and like the placa nd will go there with regad to fire arsm etc anyway .

Doug
  18. vmeter

vmeter TS Member

Seems to me that once cabelas went public, they changed their clientel base. More geared toward earnings. Used to be geared toward satisfied sportsman.
  19. Setterman

Setterman Active Member

rpeerless, Just what the he-- is wrong with naughty camo nighties?!!!!