1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ca. gets crazy again

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by xringjim, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Some of the cities are now turning down cash as a way to pay for city services. Is this legal? Jim

2. shelly

shelly TS Member

Same in every city I've been involved with. Seems that nobody wants that worthless green paper anymore.

3. porky

porky TS Member

No way I would give those wackos any financial information.

4. notarget

notarget TS Member

Cash is "legal tender for all debts, public and private". As such, it cannot be legally refused.

5. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

If you look on a bill, it says -

This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private.

As such, it MUST be accepted . Anyone refusing to accept it must provide a valid reason for doing so. For example - they can prove it is a counterfeit.
    That is the ONLY valid reason for refusing to accept cash in a transaction. Someone may not have change for a large bill, and can ask you to break it elsewhere and return to pay their tab, but that isn't refusing to accept legal tender, just poor business management. If you want to pay a $50,000 bill with $1 bills, that is your right(if you can find that many $1 bills). No one is obligated, however, to accept buckets of coins as payment, because they don't have the legal tender notice on them.

6. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

The toll booth still won't take pennies......I tried. They got all noodled up.

7. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Nothing better than paying your tax bill with bags of pennies each year. And be prepared to watch them count it while you wait. Then get a receipt. I wish everyone would do this each year they might get the hint.

8. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

A friend of mine went into the AT&T store to pay his bill in cash. They wanted a $5 surcharge if he chose to pay that way. He told them, "I'll be back." It took his bank two days to get him the number of pennies he returned with (I believe he said $226.68).

9. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

There are places everywhere that will not take cash for safety sake. For example there is a Fidelity Brokerage that I deal with and they will not take cash and do not keep cash on hand. You must write them a check to deposit it with them. A lot of places do not want to keep or take cash so they don't get robbed.

10. porky

porky TS Member

Business are only required by law to accept $5 in coin as a for of payment. Coins they can refuse if more than $5. However, they cannot refuse $1 bills.

11. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Have you ever had a bank refuse to accept cash? I have. I took out a home equity line of credit. After using it the first time, I went into the bank to make a $700.00 payment in cash. The cashier told me she could not accept cash for the payment. I said that's what I had and it is "legal tender for all debts public and private". She refused and called the manager. I figured she would straighten out this cashier in short order. But, she told me they could not accept cash for this payment. I told her if she would not accept cash, the loan would never be paid. After much deliberation, she came up with a solution. She sold me a no fee money order made out to the bank. She could take cash for a money order and she could accept a money order as payment. I was dumbfounded. This was by far the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Next month, same story. I no longer bank at TCF. Don't even get me started on Bank of America.

Bob

12. neofight

neofight TS Member

I don't know whether to laugh or cry out in indignation. Have these banks and merchants gone bonkers??Today, I just bought 12 sacks of shot, 2 kegs of Clays, 10,000 primers and 10,000 wads. My supplier prefers cash.That's what he got.

13. neofight

neofight TS Member

I don't know whether to laugh or cry out in indignation. Have these banks and merchants gone bonkers??Today, I just bought 12 sacks of shot, 2 kegs of Clays, 10,000 primers and 10,000 wads. My supplier prefers cash.That's what he got.

14. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

frostyman,,,,the reason they don't accept cash is due to the Patriot Act and fear of money laundering....

15. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Well, we all know where this is going. In the not too distant future there will be no money. Just credits that can be traced to the individual and how he conducts his affairs. Let's see, with this AND they're ability to track you with your cell phone the great (OZ) government will be able to keep a close watch on you. No privacy. Your life becomes an open book for all who have the power to look at it or BUY it. Not to mention 'Onstar' in your vehicle or all the cameras going up around town. But! You'll be safe, right? Welcome to the 'Matrix'. Jim

16. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

Primed,

I have enough BofA stories don't need anymore, so I will give you a pass.

Except for one thing I hope you got/get I final transaction notice or paid in full! on your HEQLC, because they are known for leaving a few pennies hanging when closing out an account. That lets them try to get more later!

Al

17. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

Rick-why do you think the GOVT recently passed a law stating you no longer can grow your own food. LEE

18. porky

porky TS Member

The gov't recently passed a bill that said in effect that farms producing over $100K in products cannot give products or seeds away. I believe that the Monsanto Exec that osama has hired for the FDA wrote the bill for them.

19. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Big business uses the government to run competition out of business. Big oil had 'environmental' laws written that imposed such huge costs on independent gas station owners that only 'company' owned stations would exist. Then take meat and poultry. Again, regulations that only the biggest producers could afford were put in place thus running the small guy out of business. This kind of abuse of government repeats every day in many aspects of the society. Jim

20. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

You people are so thick and slow you cant see beyond your nose.
    Why would states start to not accept cash? Try "thinking"; it isnt that hard. The answer was already printed in this thread.
    Social Security was a way for the govt to get its slimy hands on more of your money certainly not for your benefit.
    Healthcare was another way to get more of your money and for them to get free care. What is healthcare, it is no longer us paying a Dr for his service when we leave but a huge business where we pay money to a stranger in a company to pay that DR for us, look at what this costs us,we're paying someone to pay double the amount we would pay for ourselves. If we went back to the old way, we pay for ourselves the cost of healthcare would plummet down, cheaper but they wouldnt make money off us.
    Back to no cash. It was tried when clinton was pres. using visa but failed this time maybe it wont. In your interest and safety, if you didnt carry cash there would be no crime, no one would try to rob you. You will get a credit directly into the bank from work, OH Oh how will you get the credit, you will have a tiny capsule inserted into your arm, this is the size of a small grain of rice, all your info will be stored in this capsule, in your right arm you will have it scanned every where you go, it even has a GPS, if you think BS, google this on Motorola, there are 2 large companies that made this device more than 10 years ago, just waiting for you.
    Now, the govt has use of all the money in the USA and absolute control of everyone.
    You cant drive your car unless they OK it, why do you think they want to get rid of all the old ones, if you dont believe this just think of "onstar" to name one. "we can start your car for you if you loose the key or stop it if you dont pay the parking ticket or fee for new registration, do you get it now? LEE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.