1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ca. Detective Says Shoot People Who Carry

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by wireguy, Feb 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

From Fox News: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,585807,00.html?test=latestnews

Gun Rights Advocates Target California Detective Following Facebook Posts
    Sunday, February 14, 2010
    By Joshua Rhett Miller

Gun rights advocates have a California police detective in their crosshairs after he apparently posted comments on Facebook advocating that "open carry" supporters should be shot.

East Palo Alto Police Det. Rod Tuason apparently posted the remarks on his Facebook page in response to a friend's status update, which suggested that gun advocates who carry unloaded weapons openly — which is legal in California — should do so in places like "Oakland, Richmond and East Palo Alto" and not just in "hoity toity" cities.

"Haha we had one guy last week try to do it!" Tuason replied. "He got proned out [laid face-down on the ground] and reminded where he was at and that turds will jack him for his gun in a heartbeat!"

Several comments later, the detective suggested shooting the gun rights advocates, some of whom have carried firearms openly in recent weeks in California's Bay Area, particularly at Starbucks locations.

"Sounds like you had someone practicing their 2nd amendment rights last night!" Tuason wrote. "Should've pulled the AR out and prone them all out! And if one of them makes a furtive movement … 2 weeks off!!!" -- referring to the modified duty, commonly known as desk duty, that typically follows any instance in which an officer is investigated for firing his weapon.

Those comments caught the attention of a California attorney and blogger, as well as a Virginia man who started a Facebook group calling for Tuason's termination.

John Taylor, whose Facebook group had 54 members as of midday Friday, said the Facebook thread confirmed gun owners' worst fears.

"Any sworn officer who suggests shooting law-abiding citizens for exercising their most basic constitutional rights deserves the full wrath of America's gun owners," Taylor told FoxNews.com. "It's an affront."

California's Penal Code makes it illegal to carry concealed weapons without a county-issued license. But it is legal to carry an unloaded weapon in plain view in a holster. In most cases, it is illegal for an unconcealed weapon to be loaded.

Taylor, of Arlington, Va., who has a concealed weapons permit in his home state, said he planned to write a letter to the East Palo Alto Police Department demanding that Tuason be fired.

"The targeting, harassment and intimidation of law-abiding citizens who are peacefully agitating for their rights by a police officer is an abomination to the Constitution, and is in fact the exact reason our Founding Fathers created the Second Amendment," Taylor said. "Police officers who think they are going to get between law-abiding Americans and their Second Amendment rights are going to find themselves in the line of fire."

Tuason's comments were first noticed by California attorney Kevin Thomason, who posted a screen grab of the detective's remarks on his Web site on Sunday.

"[Tuason] didn't realize that actual PRO-GUN people also read Facebook," Thomason wrote. "Amazingly, he posted the following comment about law abiding gun owners on a friend's page. Basically, he's saying 'prone them out' (face down on the ground), and if anyone moves, kill them. I don't make this crap up."

Thomason, a member of the National Rifle Association, wrote that Tuason's comments were "worth a call" to the East Palo Alto City Council, as well as to his superior officers.

Tuason, who has since removed his Facebook profile, did not return messages seeking comment on Friday. He is reportedly being investigated by the police department's professional standards division regarding the Facebook remarks.

East Palo Alto Police Sgt. Rod Norris said he was unable to comment on the matter, but Capt. Carl Estelle told the San Jose Mercury News that police officials must be careful not to violate Tuason's First Amendment rights, since the comments appeared on his personal Web site.

"In no way are his personal comments reflective of any policies or procedures here at the department nor does he speak for the police department," Estelle told the newspaper.

2. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Stupid is as stupid does!!

JON

3. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

4. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

This "officer" obviously thinks that only police should carry guns. This is a short stroll from totalitarianism with a priviledged class overseeing the permanent underclasses.

He is obviously a fool who has little, if any understanding of history - a product of the modern "American" education system!

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

He better not miss.

HM

6. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

This "officer" obviously thinks that only police should carry guns. This is a short stroll from totalitarianism with a priviledged class overseeing the permanent underclasses.

He is obviously a fool who has little, if any understanding of history - a product of the modern "American" education system!

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

He better not miss.

HM

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

This so called Detective should be fires or assigned to permanent desk duty immediately if not sooner ... People, especially the Police who have that type of an attitude toward people who carry legally should of never passed the Physological that is part of the hiring procedures ... Why does it not surprise me that he is on the job in California, reminds me of another Detective (Furman (?)) who did the State pround during thre O.J. trial ...
    The Police and Fire Games were held out at the Old Phoenix Club several years ago and we sent them Dicks from Cali packing with their tail between their legs when it was all over ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Someone on here must be from the East Palo Alto area. Can you supply us with the phone # and an email address for the Police Dept. and the City Council? Thanks, Larry

10. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Wow, so some cops are a-holes that don’t support our Constitution. I'm shocked, shocked I tell ya'

11. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Mouth runners like this one eventually meet up with someone who is not paralized by the sight of his tin. In which case,he is the one that gets "proned". I am only sorry that I will not be there to see it happen & enjoy a good laugh.

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Most cops are decent and professional.

This idiot just crapped on all of them.

He needs to be fired, and needs a mental evaluation.

13. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

I have no comment on what the cop said. It looks pretty lousy on its face, I just don't know enough to intelligently comment. As for East Palo Alto, it is a crime, drug ridden sh*t hole. Think East St. Louis. Drug related murders at least weekly. Several cops killed by low lifes in recent years. I live in one of the "affluent" cities near by that the cop referred to. Most of my neighbors are not armed, but I am. The thugs in EPA have the cops so out numbered that they have brought in the CHP as reinforcements. Nasty, dangerous place to live or be a LEO.

If the cop really believes what he supposedly said, I fell sorry for him,

Mike

14. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

oldgahchamp. Pretty much everything you want to know is here. http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=305047662365

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Maybe this guy is setting himself up to get pensioned out on a Medical, claiming mental anguish or something ... He would not be the first one who goes out this way,and better gone than on the streets with that attitude ...
    WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.