1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

C & R,,What does it mean....?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin77, Dec 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

I often see C & R in the description, etc for a gun for sale...I guess it has something to do with shipping? Thanks, WC

2. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

It means curio & relic. If you have a c&r collectors license & buy a c&r described gun you do not have to have it shipped to an ffl dealer. It can be shipped direct to you.
    At least that's the way it was explained to me a while ago.

i_shoot

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

i_shoot is correct. I have a C&R license and routinely purchase C&R allowable guns. When you receive your license a booklet with allowable guns is sent. This booklet is constructed by the ATF. Records of purchases and sales using this license need to be kept and updated. Guns that are at least 50 years old are usually allowed to be purchased with this license; along with all the guns listed in the booklet. Ed

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

Also the C&R license does not allow you to have a business buying and selling collectibles. Any firearm you purchase using it must be for YOUR own private collection not resale or purchased for another. Of special interest to Trap shooters ALL Model 12 "Y" serial number guns are classed as C&R eligible even though they are less than 50 years old.

--- Chip King ---

5. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

It's fairly easy to get a C&R. Kind of a neat ticket to have - you can buy some really cool stuff wtih it. But it has to be FOR YOU.

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

chipking: You are correct that the ATF doesn't allow you to operate as a person that has an FFL. That being said it is allowable to sell guns that were obtained through the C&R license. You just can't "misuse" this option. I have sold guns that I purchased with my C&R. You just have to document that you sold this gun or guns to finance the purchase of another gun or guns. You just can't abuse this. Whenever I sell a gun I document all appropriate information to include why the gun was sold. Also, it will be "frowned upon" if you buy 4 guns in a year and sell 4 guns in that same year. If you do; you had better document the actions that supports this excessive buying and trading. It can be done but you need to document. i.e. you buy 3 Model 12's in 2009. You then sell all of these guns to obtain a pristine Winchester Model 21. That can be justified as long as it is documented. (I use this analogy as I am kind of into old Winchesters; however the Model 21 is only available in my dreams). :) Ed

7. chipking

chipking TS Member

Exactly right. And that point where they start getting interested can and will change so make sure as esoxhunter says you document everything. When I was heavily into collecting Smith and Wesson handguns I was usually upgrading from one on my books by trade for another and this was "acceptable" but when I sold a couple in one year I needed to show proof that I had used the funds to upgrade my collection. The big point is that you CANNOT use your C&R to order a firearm for someone else or for the sole intent of reselling it.

--- Chip King ---

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Interesting info. Good to know, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.