1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bypassing airbag seat sensor

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 635 G, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

My wife got herself a 2012 Mini Cooper Coupe. The only problem is when a person is the passenger seat & they stretch out the airbag off switch comes on. We're looking for device to bypass the mat sensor so passenger side bag will be enabled all the time. Mini will not working to the SRS system.

Phil Berkowitz

2. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I had a 2011 countryman but didn't have that problem....in fact if you laid too much stuff on the passenger seat the no seat belt chimes would ring.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/M6HsUapqNs4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I this one isn't to your liking all I did was google "how to bypass mini passenger seat".

3. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

Hi, ive been an auto mechanic for (too long) i dont know your seat off hand but if you look under the seat you will see a wire or pigtail lead going to the seat sensor, have someone sit in the seat and unplug the wire, the airbag off light should come on, because it now thinks the switch is open(no one in the seat) after verifieing the correct wires, jump then together, then it will see someone in the seat at all times.

some cars now also have a sensor to tell the air bag where the seat is adjusted at(sliding the seat back or forward)if you unplug this wire you will set a code and disable the air bags untill it clears or you go to the dealer and have it cleared.

the seat sensor wire should come out near

the "seat"
    the adjustment sensor will be on or near the seats rails.

Think twice before altering a system that is highly enginered, you could end up in a far worse postion in an accident.

I would leave it alone.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have done it but would not do it again. If you should be involved in an accident and the system fails, the insurance company can deny coverage to your or passenger injuries

5. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

Consult your MINI SA (Service Advisor). I am pretty sure the computer can be re-programmed to keep the passenger seat airbag ON all the time. It is just so much more expensive to replace both airbags (and a dash) when only 1 was required. When I see ID10Ts in the passenger seat with their feet on the dash I wonder how much they are going to enjoy 2 broken legs if that airbag goes off!! Bob (Owner of a 2005 MINI)

6. 548

548 Guest

635g, why on earth would you mess with it?

Each airbag is extremely expensive. Why would you want to risk
    the passenger side bag going off when there is no passenger?

Often times, minor incidents like collisions with deer will cause airbag deployment.
    The cost for repairs are just going to be unnecessarily high when there is a need to replace deployed bags that should not have deployed.

7. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Because the airbag will not go off , if a person stretches or braces for an impact. The sensor is designed for little persons or kids---the driver side doesn't have one.

Mini will not touch it.

Phil Berkowitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
08 torrent airbag seat sensor bypass
airbag sensor in 2012 mini cooper
by passing the airbags sensors
deployed passenger side airbag 2006 mini cooper s without accident

how to bypass airbag sensor

how to bypass cooper airbag
how to bypass passenger airbag