1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Bypass surgery

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tammike, Mar 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tammike

tammike Member

How long did anyone take to heal up before returning to the range ?
  2. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned

I had a valve replacement, about 3 months w/lite loads.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot
  3. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Active Member

I had 5 bypasses a few years ago. Don't remember how long it took to get back to shooting, but you will know when ya are ready.

gNEj
  4. CalamitySJ

CalamitySJ Member

Coach didn't hurry back, waiting three months or so, and only after the doctor told him he was cleared to shoot again. Very smart move. A good friend started shooting within weeks and had significant and multiple complications.

As with all medical conditions, trust the professionals and listen to their advice. If you are the one having the surgery, good luck and keep us posted.
  5. OldGoat

OldGoat Active Member

July 10, 2009 I had 7 - no kidding - seven bypasses "installed" on my heart. While convalescing, I had a RAD system installed on my Browning XT and loaded up some light one ounce loads. Surgeon gave me clearance to begin shooting in mid October (about 12 weeks). Dumb luck occurred in my first round of 16s...ran 25...maybe because I spent a lot of time "visualizing" targets during the 12 weeks. Better to wait for the doctor's OK. Glad to be here! Best Regards, Ed
  6. VietVet

VietVet TS Member

Depending on your quack, figure three months at a minimum. I had similar surgery, and after three months was back to about 85% good. Just listen to the medics--no heroics please.

John
  7. Baber

Baber TS Member

I had 5 bypasses on November 17 and shot 50 birds of Bunker on December 27th.

Tom
  8. tammike

tammike Member

Thanks for the information and estimates. Guess I better plan on a few months of crossword puzzles but, that is better than the other option.
  9. OldGoat

OldGoat Active Member

tammike, Well, plan on reading TS.com postings on here over and over...or find a good book that interests you. I really enjoyed: Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose or all you ever wanted to know books about Custer and the Little Big Horn: Son of the Morning Star by Evan Connell and The Last Stand by Nathaniel Philbrick. Best Regards, Ed (Been There)
  10. Michael Wascom

Michael Wascom Member

My cardiologist and surgeon are both shooters,12 weeks is what I was told after 6 bypasses.

It was longer than that for me because,1 month after the surgery I was back in with phenomena,then a month after that I had my ICD installed and by the time that healed.......our good old fashion Alaskan winter was here.
  11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I had emergency open heart surgery 10-05-11, 3 by passes, a Maize, and valve replacement and was released to go back to shooting and bowling 03-01-12 by the Surgeon and 03-16-12 by the Cardiologist ... The surgeon said I was a Challenge, like I didn't know that ... I feel better now than I did for 4 years before it all happened ... I was in the Doctors office at 4:30 and in surgery at 5:15, so they must of felt it was important ... I did prove a lot of people wrong, I obviously do have a heart ... WPT ... (YAC) ...
  12. slayer

slayer Active Member

When you are ready you will know. Don't jump the gun [no pun intended].You are going to be feeling so much better you won't care what the restrictions are. 5 way bypass when i was 50. 8 years later i can keep up with most anyone at ANYTHING. Bill
  13. Donm

Donm Member

The number of by-passes has no bearing on how long it takes. Once your chest is opened they could do one or ten. They say it takes the sternum 8 weeks to heal completely. It took a while to get my strength back to shoot my bow but I had more than enought strength to lift my gun and shoot after going through rehab(8 weeks 3 times a week). I bench pressed 210lbs the last day of rehab. Don't listen to people that have done all kinds of things they shouldn't have. Each person is different. I was 39 when I had my heart attack. 46 when I had my by pass. Throw in 13 balloon jobs, 6 or 7 stents and I'm 61. I have been on the Wisconsin mens Allstate team 8 or 9 times since the by-pass. So it can be a wonderful thing if you LISTEN TO YOUR DOCTOR.
  14. tammike

tammike Member

Surgery went well and I seem to be headed the right direction as far as the recovery goes.
  15. JACK

JACK Active Member

Makes me just want to get a bypass so I can feel better. Than what?
  16. slayer

slayer Active Member

Had to comment again on this thread. It's just amazing what the medical community has accomplished regarding heart disease. Just look at the posts. It's like we are discussing a broken bone or something. the thing that took my father at 42 is just a postscript in my life. I'm 58 and going strong with the new medicines and procedures. Smoke 'em Bill
  17. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

walk! get out and walk ! fastest way to total recovery, there will be some odd aches and pains from the chest cracking, they tore my pectoral muscle and it was the worst of it all but walking is the best. Took me 12 weeks before I was cleaered to shoot or ride the motorcycle. good luck
  18. cueguy

cueguy Member

Had a quadruple bypass on June 22, 2011. Along with that, had a valve replaced, a maze procedure ( eliminated my a-fib ) and cut off the atrial appendage ( which causes blood clots ). I shot my first practice two weeks ago. Glad I waited. Nubs Wagner
  19. Donm

Donm Member

MIA. They have been into and around the outside of the heart over thirty times. Let me know it want something done. I'm thinking about starting a little practice in my garage. I will clean it first. I don't have all the fancy surgury stuff so I can keep my prices down. In fact I might just do the first job free. Let me know.
  20. Remstar311

Remstar311 TS Member

I am a Radiologic Technologist (xray tech) in interventional cardiology (stents).

A cracked chest (bypass) is no joke. They literally cut your sternum in half, do the bypass and what ever else (its usually triple bypass or more, or else we would stent the blockages in the cath lab), then pretty much coat hanger wrap that thing (your sternum) back together.

It is going to take a while.

On a side note, usually the concern with the cath/stenting is where they got access to your artery, groin or wrist (not the stent).

Nick
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.