1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BX selling guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Herb Roach, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herb Roach

Herb Roach Member

I just returned from FL. While I was there I went to the Eglin BX, and behold they are selling guns and ammo, including govt issue rifle in 7.62 (500). I never thought I would see the day, especially during this administration.

2. SMSGT

SMSGT TS Member

There are several PX/BX locations that are selling guns. I stopped in the BX at Offutt AFB and inquired about purchasing a hand gun. Unless you are a resident of Nebraska and have a purchase permit from the Nebraska you cannot purchase a hand gun. I was a bit dissapointed since the price was right. I live just across the river in Iowa and have an Iowa purchase permit but that won't work. Another "benefit" that I can't take advantage of.

Leroy

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have seen them sell firearms but usually no great deals- on the other hand during the hayday years- rod and gun clubs often had great deals now and then.

Interesting on the "choice of law" mentioned above for handguns. I have a feeling that is more of a policy decision than a law.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Is a BX the same as a PX, cousin Herb?

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

In the Marines we called it a PX. The base pub was a Slop Shoe

6. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Not being able to buy a handgun out of state is nothing very new.

7. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

BX=Base Exchange

PX=Post Exchange

They are all run by AAFES = Army & Air Force Exchange Service...

NEX= Navy Exchange

MCX or MCCS = Marine Corps Exchange

Grubby

8. letts

letts TS Member

When I was in the service the PX sold guns, ammo and other hunting, shooting stuff as well as fishing gear. That was only 20 years are so after WW2 when thousand of GI's returned from overseas with who knows what with no problems.

Letts

9. Herb Roach

Herb Roach Member

Cousin Barry: I guess by now you have the answer. My daughter is retired AF and she says BX, so when we go there it's a BX, when I go, it's probably still the Navy Exchange. Yes guys, I purchased an 1100 in 1964 in Yokosuka Navy Exchange and I still have it with the original "O" ring on it. I clean it with WD40 and reinstall it. I had a Cutts installed in Yokosuka by Hamada. I'll bet he is out of business now. He was resident at the Exchange. That was some good duty. Retired Chief Roach

10. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Chief Roach,

Sounds like we were in the same neighborhood in the mid-60s. I was with VQ-1 and Ship's Company AMD in Atsugi from 1964 to 1967. Used to make the ANFE and AOCP parts runs from Atsugi to Yokosuka during the buildup to Viet Nam. We were a major repair station for the Carrier Air Groups. Funny how that parts run went from Atsugi NAS through Yokohama and directly past Italian Gardens - a watering hole where everybody knew my name - then on to Yokosuka to the parts depot. Could have been busted so many ways - driving without a military license, off base in Navy dungaree uniform, etc., etc. Sure was fun.

Learned to drive stick in the brand new 1965 Ford pickup trucks with synchromesh (brand new idea) three on the column transmission.

Mike Mann

11. Herb Roach

Herb Roach Member

Hi Mike: Sailor, square you hat! Maybe those were the good old days, I know I would relive them if I could, especially with my grandkids. Wow. I left Yoko in 1950 aboard the F.B. Parks on the edge of a typhoon. We steamed about 10 knots for most of the night, then entered the typhoon in all it glory. We steamed at 10 to 15 knots for three days and finally the typhoon passed. We were 50 miles from Yoko. I saw under the bow and the stearn of our sister ship at the same time, and I wondered how the hell she survived. It didn't dawn on me at the time that we were doing exactly the same bouncing as she was. I rode three other typhoons, one on the Midway. 50 ft waves were rolling down the flight deck. Time for this old "Goat" to turn in. It's snowing and I have to plow snow tomorrow. Fair winds and smooth sailing to you and yours. Herb Roach

12. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

AAFES used to sell guns at Edwards, but at the Rod and Gun Club not the BX. They soon dropped their FFL when they realized that they had to follow the same rules when selling guns as other merchandise.

At a AAFES establishment you can return anything within 30 days at least that was their policy. This meant that you could buy a gun, go shoot it and return it for a full refund. There were a couple of guys that did just that and the store was losing money. Needless to say they quit selling.

13. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

The BX at EAFB is set up to start selling guns again,,just as soon as they get there FFL, they are selling accessories now.
    Norman

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Iowa and Nebraska require purchase permits for handguns?

15. GeezerGlide

GeezerGlide TS Member

Chief, you must have visited my old home a way from home "the club Alliance" I would imagine. Had some great times in Yokosuka on my tours back and forth. Some of the only good things I like to remember. Jim

16. Herb Roach

Herb Roach Member

Note that I edited my post. I changed the date of the typhoon to 1950 from 1940. In 1940, I was 10 years old. Herb

17. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

Brian,

I know that Iowa does. Didn't know about NE. I've heard that a Concealed Carry permit can serve as your purchase permit in IA also.

18. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

My father has told many stories about sitting alert in the 60s at Fairchild AFB happily reloading shells. The supplies came from the BX according to him. HJH

19. Herb Roach

Herb Roach Member

JoeE: I know you are old enough to know that all sea stories start with: "This ain't no Sh+t." Herb Roach

20. Herb Roach

Herb Roach Member

GeezerGlide: I returned to Yoko in 05 with the wife, daughter and son-in-law. You couldn't find your way around there now. I didn't see any "working girls", but I did see "black market alley". I attend one of my ship's reunions regularly. The Floyd B. Parks (DD884). Generally several shipmates bring photos of the many ports we visited, and just this last one which was in Boise, someone had a phote of 7 snipes having some brew at the Alliance. I think the beer was a dime and shoe-string potatoes were about the same. You could get drunk and sick there at the same time. Fair winds and smoothe sailing to you and yours. Something just rememberd: Sea Store Cigarettes were 37 cents a carton. More stateside, but at todays prices we could have bought more than 100 cartons for what 1 costs now. I quit smoking in 64, so I have saved one hell of a lot of money. Herb Roach

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
bx firearms
bx guns
gun prices at offutt
offutt afb bx rifles
offutt afb rod & gun club

offutt bx firearms

offutt gun sales
what is required to purchase a firearm at aafes edwards afb