1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying used TMX ?'s

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Eric Mirosavich, Sep 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric Mirosavich

Eric Mirosavich Member

Im trying to make a decision on purchasing a TMX Serial #TU8204 and have a few questions for a experienced Perazzi guy. The gun looks pretty nice, blueing is slightly worn under receiver and stock has normal dings. There is a soft touch added with adj comb. Right behind the tang on the lever, there is a small 3/8" crack. It doesnt look like a new crack, it looks to be worn with slight oil stains in it. There is a Allem release trigger dated 7/95.

I dont shoot a release so I would need the trigger to be converted back to a pull. I would also feel better if the gun was reblued and the stock was replaced. What would it cost for the trigger to be converted back to pull and a nice reblue? By reading other threads, I am assuming Giacomo would be the best to send it to.

What else should I look for when evaluating this used Perazzi? What do you think fair market value is?

Thank You very much
    Eric

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Eric..... The blueing wear is pretty common in this area. If you must have it re-blued, Giacomo will do the entire gun for around $300.00. As for the crack in the stock, this is also very common for a Perazzi stock. The crack can be permanantly repaired for under $30.00 from Ken Rucker or Stocker John's. A new stock will set you back about $500.00 or so, so I would go for the repair unless you are a stickler for having a "like new" gun. As for the trigger, any good gunsmith can convert the trigger back to a pull and re-set the pull weight. The TMX is a very nice shooting gun, and should last you a lifetime of shooting. As for the value, only you can really determine what it's worth to you. From what you describe, I would guess it to be worth $2,500 to $3,000, depending on how tight it is, and the position of the locking lever....Just my opinion....Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. Eric Mirosavich

Eric Mirosavich Member

Trap2,
    Thanks for your input.. The gun isnt very tight, but the locking lever is slightly right of center. I took another look at the gun and looked for any sort of galling or wear on hinges. They look pretty good.. The asking price is sub-$2k range so based on your info it sounds like a square deal.. Once I get it, to Giacomo it goes. Im excited on my first Perazzi purchase.

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

It sounds like a good buy for under 2k but be sure the serial number on the barrel matches the serial number on the receiver. I have seen some ill fitting barrels attached to mismatched receivers and I would stay clear of them.

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Eric.... Enjoy it. You will have bought a great gun at a very fair price. Giacomo can also tighten up the gun for you, as well as anything else you would need. Another great choice to do the work would be Doug Braker, the Gun Doctor. I have had Doug do some work on my DB-81, and I am more than pleased with the work he did. Very fair pricing and quick turnaround.....Dan

6. Eric Mirosavich

Eric Mirosavich Member

I bought the gun, I love it. Once I went back and looked at it again, I figured out it also has a factory left handed stock. I am a right handed shooter so I am going to need a stock for it.

I am going to put the factory stock up for sale. It has a slight 3/8" crack behind the tang. A Soft Touch recoil system was added with adj comb LOP 14.5". There is slight left hand cast. The wood is pretty, but quite plain. Normal dings, nothing major. What should I ask for the stock and forend? Once I figure out a price, Ill list it for sale.

7. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

The action was the backbone of Perazzi's single barrels. TM1, TMx,& a few other custom variations. In my opinion, Perazzi's greatest mistake was dropping the production of the TM action. They are durable, the triggers, either coil or flat spring were super fast. Some claimed the flat springs were faster. I tried both, couldn't tell the difference. Any workable condition under 2K is a heck of a buy. There is nothing about them that can't be rebuilt to new condition and it won't cost you an arm & a leg.

Big Jack

8. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

MIA, That soft touch stock has a nice looking piece of wood. Jake

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.