1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying used gun

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by vmthtr in green bay, Nov 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vmthtr in green bay

vmthtr in green bay Member

0   0   0

Just a note on buying a used gun. Be careful and ask a lot of questions. I recently traded for a gun on the internet and found the gun to be lacking. Luckily the owner would reverse the trade, so it just cost two shipping fees, and two backround checks for me to learn a lesson. ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS.

Mike

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Shoot it before you buy it. That is rule #1. HMB

3. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

0   0   0

Mike,
    How true I have recently experienced the same issue I didn't ask what I would have disclosed on my end, so I have to assume it was my fault?

4. vmthtr in green bay

vmthtr in green bay Member

0   0   0

How do you do that when it is shipped over the internet?? Not all of us can meet face to face.

5. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0

Very good advice. Thanks,Bulge

6. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

As a buyer:

Ask explicit questions, do not assume anything. I don't like buying used guns but I would jump on one if I had confidence in the seller that the gun was not a refurbished job (and he is passing it off as "like new") or the condition is exactly as stated (proof provided with pics). The price should reflect the usage the gun has seen....

Ask for photos....if a seller is too lazy to take photos, pass on the deal, unless you can see it face to face. If a guy is selling a $20k Kreighoff and all he has are fuzzy cell phone pics (or worse, he sends you a link to the Krieghoff website), that should be a warning LOL Geez, you can afford a gun costing as much as a car but you can't buy a $199 digital cam with a 10 megapixel rating? Something is wrong there...

some typical questions I always ask:

1.) are you the original owner? If not, in your best guess, how many previous owners has this gun passed through?

2.) how many rounds have you put through the receiver and barrel?

3.) has the gun been refinished in any way, including the stock?

4.) leave me your phone number and we will talk (if he does not provide a number, I move on looking for the next deal out there.)

#3 is my primary concern....a gun that has seen a lot of rounds through it can be easily refinished to look new again (e.g. Giacomo can turn a cruddy old Perazzi back to be new condition)...and the asking prices on some of these "refurbished" guns I have seen over the past couple of years are really not that far off from the price on a new gun of the similar model/specs.

7. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

0   0   0

I will only buy from a reputable dealer.

some of the ones i have used are:

Giacomo Sporting,

Paxton Arms,

Pacific Sporting Arms,

I am sure there are many more but i ran out of money to find them !

ernie

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I've bought quite a few used handguns and rifles, almost all over the Internet. If they are "like new," a brand new one will be in the same condition after I fire it for the first time but will have cost me more, so I have bought fewer new ones than used ones. But I'm careful about how I do business.

I ask for pictures and not just full-gun shots. For example, I want to see what a revolver's sideplate screws look like - if they appear unmolested, I can assume no untrained persons were inside the lockwork. I look for shiny spots on stainless guns and splotches of worn bluing on blued pieces, an indicator of lots of handling and, perhaps, firing. If there's dirt in the corners and crevices, that sort of tells me the seller isn't particular about how he cleans his guns, which can carry over to his maintenance habits. If someone states that a mark will rub right off or a stain will clean off easily, I ask myself, "Then why didn't YOU remove it to make your gun/car/etc. appear more valuable?"

Next, unless I'm 100% positive I'm looking at a genuinely nice gun, I request a three-day non-firing inspection period. Most quality sellers offer that up front but I've only had one seller refuse - and I didn't buy his gun, even though it was very tempting. His blurry photos that were full of flash washout and shadows that made me extra cautious, especially when a second batch of photos were no better even though I told him why I was requesting them. So far, I've not been unpleasantly surprised when I opened the box but I have been very pleasantly surprised on several occasions.

I enjoy buying nice used guns that are in like-new condition and were made by prominent companies. I guess you could call them my investment account.

Ed

9. kenf

kenf Active Member

0   0   0

I agree with Ed.

In buying a used rifle unseen, I like to see the bolt face and muzzle. The bolt face will typically show a lot of use, especially in the bigger calibers. If hunted with, the muzzle will show if it was beated around. Both of these in addition to the overall condition of the gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.