1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying/Trading higher end guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kenf, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenf

kenf Active Member

Here are a few questions for the guys who have upgraded from mid-priced guns (Browning, etc.) into the higher end guns (P,K, Ljutic);

1) What made you decide on buying the gun (shooting someone elses, feel off the rack, looks)?

2) How long did it take you to realize that you made the right (or wrong) choice and did you stay with the gun or trade it off?

3) How much of a beating do you take from the dealers when trading these higher end guns from one to another? I remember Grand vendors usually giving 80% of rack price on trade.

4) Is the best place to upgrade still the Grand, or bigger state shoot where you can try one out?

2. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

The first high end gun I puchased was a Ljutic Mono gun. A friend had one for sale (he was the original owner) and I worked on him for weeks until he finally sold it to me at a price I could afford.

The reason? Reliability. I had heard that Ljutic's are hard to break, so I went after one. The guns I had previously used all had some kind of problem right in the middle of a shoot.

It took me 3 1/2 years of fooling around with the Ljutic (making adjustments here and there) before I finally found the sweet spot. Now I run 25 regularly from the 16 with it. The only problem I've had with it was the comb came loose once during a hot day. The glue melted. I re-glued it and good as new...

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

A gun that was made just for trapshooting, a gun that you can get repaired anywhere and or any shoot, quick service, a gun that has less down time and problems. In other words you learned how to drive with a VW bug now you have upgraded to a ford and now your driving a top of the line Porch or Mercedes.

4. kenf

kenf Active Member

Other than trying a used Mono gun in Vandalia a few years back, I have never shot any of the Browning step ups. My Citori Plus has been problem free since new, and I have had a lot of success with it, albeit the majority of the time I have to work and think to make up for its shortcomings on fit. Plus, there is always a reason to buy a new gun.

Fortunately, I live in the mecca of trapshooting, Western PA and the bigger shops like Joel Etchen and Hi-Grade are close by, and there is always the PA and OH State to go and handle/shoot used guns, but I don't want somebody's mollested Perazzi or want to find out six months or a year later that I made the wrong choice.

I also want to take this opportunity to start over and learn to shoot with two eyes with a new gun, as trying to do this with the Citori was difficult because I found myself faling back to closing one eye because it felt safer.

Keep the posts coming, your stories were great.

5. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Now for my second post on this subject, I not only went after a Ljutic, but I've owned an XT combo with an unsingle barrel and also I've owned a Beretta 686 combo oversingle.

I've never gotten an punch in ATA with mu Ljutic, although I like shooting it the most. But I have gotten a yard punch with a 98 in handicap with my Beretta. I never tried shooting the XT in ATA.

But now I'm starting a new adventure. I sold the XT combo set along with a few other items and had just enough money to buy a used Krieghoff KX-5. This gun changed my game overnight. It has an adjustable rib and comb, and I set the thing to shoot 100% high and it literally smokes the targets. I shoot it better from the handicap than I do from the 16 yard line. This gun will get me my next punch. I shot it for the first time in a 2 day ATA event last weekend and had a 94 the first day and a 93 the second day. Once I get used to the gun, I'll be headed backwards!

Kevin

6. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I purchased these combo's in this order,all in unsingle form.
    #1 SKB
    #2 Browning XT
    #3 Beretta 687
    #4 Caesar Guerini
    #5 Kolar Max T/A
    While they are all good in there own way the Kolar is far superior in every way.
    The old saying you get what you pay for is very true here. The only thing that would have made me happier with the purchase of the Kolar would have been purchasing it sooner. It cost a lot of money but I would have saved a lot if I would have purchased it before purchasing some of the others. Good luck with your decision.

7. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I started shooting registered targets in 05 with a Browning Citori Trap, since then I've bought , sold or traded: XT Ultra, Rem. 3200, 90T, BT99, 1187 Trap, Citori Plus, Krieghoff KS-5 Special, XT, LH 1100 Trap and finally a Kolar Combo that in the past 3 months I proceeded to trade the 30" o/u barrels for 32" and a 34" unsingle for a 34" top single. I kept the 90T, XT and the LH 1100 Trap along with the Kolar. I'm having Kolar fit and time the new barrels while I continue to shoot the 90T. Am I done ? NO, the Kolar now is about as perfect as I can imagine and will be my main gun, but for some reason the new CG Impact may find it's way into my safe down the road.
    My problem is the local gun dealer is a friend and keeps showing me all this stuff. Most trades have improved my scores or were moved on down the line.

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

High end guns are ok if thats what you want. I shot my absolute best when I was shooting a remington mod 31. I have a friend who is deadly with an old beat up rusty 870 field gun with a 28" barrel. He has won many $$ and has had lots of 100 and 200 striaghts. I doubt he would shoot any better with a $10,000 gun but he might enjoy it more. Myself, I would never enjoy shooting an expensive gun but I certainly can appreciate those who do. Buy what trips your trigger

9. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

You probably have your eye on some gun that really makes your heat pound. Be it a Perazzi or a Kreighoff or whatever. My advice is to just buy it and never look back. From the time I picked up a Perazzi for the first time, it was about 3 months before I owned one. You will know when you find the right gun.

10. lgunluvr

lgunluvr Member

I traded (bought) into a Ljutic after continually being screwed on the price of Brownings. Browning has a practice of "backdooring" models at their conclusion of manufacture. After being caught by their proceduere not once but twice; I bought a Ljutic. They will never backdoor guns. Before you ass holes respond about the "resale" value, I NEVER intend to "switch" again. F... Browning!

Jack Heckeler

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have bought a few high grade guns. The other guys toys seem to look better than my toys.

Pat Ireland

12. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I have some hi end guns along with some real bargain guns and have shot equal scores with both which convinced me if they fit right and shoot where you look they are mostly the same. I have a Cole and like it very much and enjoy shooting it. I have a place in Idaho for the summers and keep a BT 99 out there and shot some of my best scores last summer with the BT. The biggest improvement I ever experienced was learning to shoot both eyes open.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

jack heckeler florida