1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying reloads to pull down?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeet_man, Nov 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I came across an individual on craigslist that has some leftover supplies from when he shot. Heres what he has:

at least 1000 loaded shells.... all with 7 1/2 shot...all with 18gr of Win superlite with Waa12 wads.... these are all about 2 years old. Had reloaded them for my son but he gave up trap shooting.

I have: 1/2 bag of 7 1/2 shot

1/4 bag #8 shot.

500 Claybuster 1118 wads

250 Rem fig 8 wads

about 500 various other wads...some I believe out of production

about 300 1-2X fired Rem cases

about 50 Win 1-2x fired cases

He wants $100 for all of it, and it appears he is fairly local so I should be able to pick it up.

I'm a little leary about shooting someone elses reloads, but figured I might be able to disassemble the shells for the components (save maybe the powder, would have to inspect first) and do OK.

Figure 1 1/8oz of shot x 1000 shells = 2.8125 bags of shot x $30/bag = $84.375. Add another $25 for the pulldown primers, and another $15 or so for the pulldown wads, and we're at $125. I figure the value of the other components is about $50, so i'll be paying $100 for $175+tax worth of supplies (plus the value of the powder, 2.5lb of WSL) if i'm confident it'll be usable), but will have to tear down 1000 shells. Do you think it'd be worth it, i'm a bit torn, and don't know how much time/effort i'd take me to disassemble all those shells LOL.

2. dverna

dverna Active Member

I wouldn't do it.

Don

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I am not comfortable shooting shells reloaded by others.

Pat Ireland

4. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

BS these guys are full of it . shoot a couple and see would shoot them if no bad signs show other thing cut 4or5 open and weigh the load if in the 16 to 18 gr area blast away rick

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Yea! Why not! Hell, Were just talking about your safety and that of those around you. What is your time worth? It will take you at least well lets see

1000 shells

250 per hour is 4 hours 250 divided by 60 is 4 shells per minute for four hours to get a bunch of powder that you might not want to use in the first place.

Better Idea... Work 4 hours of overtime and buy exactly what you want. Jeff

6. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I agree with Pat; I would be a little leery, too.

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I think i'll end up passing. I was leaning that way anyways, but sometimes I just post here to confirm my thinking is on track LOL. I definately didn't want to shoot the shells, and the more I thought about it, it was going to be more hassle than it was worth to break them down. My $10K kolar is worth more than 4 flats of shells LOL.

8. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

The shells loaded with 18g of WSl will travel about 1250 fps. But you don't know if that is what is really in them. I still shoot the WSL have about 4 lbs. left. Nice soft shooting powder. Bulge.

9. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

You guys have lost your minds! The shot alone is worth close to 100 bucks in the loaded shells! $20 for the primers, $15 for the wads and send the powder to me! Tom Rhoads

10. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Sound like alot of work, pulling down 1,000 shells.

11. One Eyed Left Handed

One Eyed Left Handed TS Member

Jerry,
    You and I think alike. I think that's why we hit it off at hog heaven. Reloading is not rocket science, I'd take 10 of these kind of deals tomorrow!

Eddie Quire

12. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

If your anywhere near northern Michigan let me know where it is at I'll shoot them.

13. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey,

Check a few of the loads, QC will tell you if they are right.

Take care,

Jim

14. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I would be wary, but I'd shoot a box before I took them all a part.

15. Customstox

Customstox Member

I would randomly select 10 hulls and disect them and weigh the shot and powder and then decide. See if he will let you do that before you buy. If they are uniform and meet some load you should be okay.

16. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Years ago an older gent at a club I shot at died . About a year later his wife sold all his reloading stuff plus a bunch of reloaded shells at the club . When ask how much for the shells one guy said how about a dollar a box (sounds cheap). The old man was slipping and every one feard his shells .

Don,t shoot them .

If it was a good friend and you shot with him alot MAYBE .

17. Pass103

Pass103 TS Member

Buy all the shells tear down several and weight them on a digital scale. get a reference weight and weigh the rest one at a time, might take 1/2 hour, TheFew

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.