1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying or Selling a firearm on TS.Com. How to

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Dec 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Had a recent sale go bad because of someone not knowing how a deal is completed.I thinl my integrity was in question.
    Could someone explain the order in which a gun is sold on TS. Is the gun sent first or is the check sent first? A nice description would be appreciated. Thanks, Bulge.

2. SONO MAN

SONO MAN TS Member

As far as I know, after the check cleared, the gun is shipped to a FFL and the buyer takes from there. If the buyer did not like what he or she sees, he would contact the seller within the 3 day inespection and ask for refund. shipping back depends on both the buyer and the seller. Hope that helps. Peter.

3. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

When ever I sell a item I don't send item until check clears. I also grant a three day inspection period. If I know the person I sometimes ship before I get the check. Only been burned once.

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Check must clear first. Talk to the buyer or seller a couple of times before you buy or sell . Send firearm only to a FFL holder. If you don't feel confortable sending the money to the seller, send the check to an FFL holder (get a copy of the FFL before hand, and talk to the FFL Holder) about the transfer of cash or firearm.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Generally, sellers are trusted more than buyers. Someone has to make the first move, and traditionally it is to send the dough.

There are plenty of safeguards, which have been discussed at great length here so I won't go into that.

I have checked sellers out and never gotten burned. If I came to be uncomfortable with a situation I would insist on the item being sent from an FFL holder, and I would check that licensee out.

HM

6. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

1. the buyer and seller agree on a price 2. a phone call is made and buyer and seller talk . 3. Buyer sends a check ( Money Order ) and an FFL to Seller . 4. Seller cashes the Check and sends the gun to the Buyers FFL .
    5. The Buyer has three (3) days after the FFl has received the firearm to send it back for a refund after talking to Seller on the Phone.

This is how I have sold alot of stuff with no Problems .

7. Barrelbulge(Fl)

That's pretty much the way we all do it. Thanks, Guys. Bulge

8. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Alf-99 has explained it the way I have purchased and/or sold guns over the internet. Knock on wood, I have yet to be burned. Ed

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The time line given by ALF-99 is pretty standard here and item #2, "phone call", is very important because it is that contact or contacts that will make either or both parties feel comfortable with whom they are dealing. I've been so impressed by others that I've sent items immediately knowing the check was on the way and I've had sellers do the same for me when I was perfectly happy waiting. I've also had a buyer issue a second check when the USPS sent the original around the horn and concern was raised. In that case, I cashed the second check and later received the first but returned it clearly marked "void" to ensure the fellow was comfortable......breakemall....Bob Dodd

10. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

The biggest problem with selling over the internet is NO communication

11. englishupland

englishupland Member

What are alternative methods??...Surely not everyone sends a check to someone in complete trust...What about a 12K double rifle?

Anyhow, who has used other methods?

How about the seller taking the gun to a FFL dealer in their town, the buyer paying the dealer by mail, or Visa, and then the dealer cutting a check to the seller and shipping? Might be some fees involved, and a small hassle, but it seems sensible..

I'm sure 99% of people are just fine but the 1% have ruined it for some...

Anyone tried anything different than just sending money upfront with no recourse whatsoever?

12. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Todd I have sold Trap Guns for over 10,000 dollars on this site . You use your head as a seller know your buyer (ATA) and cash the check . I have sold alot of very nice guns to some very good people some are now friends .

ALF

13. englishupland

englishupland Member

What if you don't know your seller? I'm sure there is plenty of money exchanged through this site w/ no issues, but what if your seomone looking for a little more protection? Not trying to bet the "dont pass line" here as they say in craps, but does everyone ALWAYS only do a transaction that way??

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

OK, once again..........let me explain this real slow........

If you are nervouse about sending money for a gun, you send it to a FFL holder the seller will use. the FFL holder will send the gun to your receiving FFL holder.

Using a FFL holder on the selling end insures to a high degree that there will be no fraud. NO one wants the ATF on their butt.

You can check the ATF website for FFL holders just get their number.

So with the possibility of mail fraud (use a Postal Money Order) and the ATF going after a dealer, the likelyhood of fraud is reduced to the lowest possible degree.

This has been explained several times here. It is still the same, hasn't changed a bit.

HM

15. englishupland

englishupland Member

That's kind of what I was asking about...sounds sensible to me, guess I could have done a thread search first. Thanks halfmile

16. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Been around a little while, Ill be 62 this month, and one lesson in life I have learned is that the Guy that does't trust people is usually the one that can't be trusted. Mike

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have bought and sold guns on TS.Com and have been lucky enough to deal with people who have integrity and are bound by their words ... Talk to them on the telephone and be comfortable with the person you are dealing with and let them get comfortable with dealing with you also ...

I have also found that with Postal Money Orders you deposit them in your bank and the funds are not available for up to 30 days ... (Bank of America) The Money orders can be verified and or validated by the local Post Office but that does not change anything with most banks ... The last transaction I had with the sale of a gun on this site, I asked that the buyer Wire the money to my bank and I shipped the gun the next day overnight UPS ... When I walked into the UPS terminal they asked to see a copy of an FFL to where the gun was being shipped and that was pretty much it ... The buyer got the gun the next day and all is well ... I have not heard anything since and I hope the buyer is enjoying his new (to him any way) MX-2000 ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. englishupland

englishupland Member

Hate do drag out topics which have already been beaten to death on TS...

How would you feel about someone who will do it ONLY one way?

It seems like there are 5 or 6 methods to complete a transaction..Even a listing on GB with a buy it now and a direct link..

Would it not cause any of you pause and concern if a seller would ONLY accept a check, wait for clearing and ship?

Seems like that would be the easiest on their end but, does it not seem a bit strange that that would be their ONLY way?

I have sold plenty before via interent as well...and obviously a check mailed, cleared and shipped is simple. But, I have from time to time had different people ask for different methods for their own personal reasons, and although it was a bit more hassle it wasn't outrageous or anything, and I was glad to work them to make it better...

This is all I'm asking about...I'm not the doom and gloom cloud that always searches for the bad in things, but would it not concern any of you others that someone wouldn't use one of the 4 or 5 other methods available for a deal just out of courtesy if nothiung else?

Maybe this is typical...my unit, my price, my rules ect??
    Just seems a little harsh and over the top...

Who knows, maybe I'll warm up to the mailing check idea, but when there clearly are other options, whats the big deal? I know I've made changes others before.

Guess, I'll have to sort this out in my head....Maybe I'm beeing a little harsh myself.

19. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Having never bought or sold a gun on ts.com, I appreciate everyone's contributions to this thread. I'll will absolutely keep copies for future reference.

I offer the following for what it is worth...

1. Buying or selling a gun is a business transaction the terms of which are negotiable.

2. The only terms in a given deal are those agreed to by both parties. Nothing is standard and nothing should be assumed.

3. Price, method of payment, length of inspection period (if any), method of shipment, the amount of insurance (if any), and who pays for what* are all examples of terms that must be established.

Refund & return policies are two more. For example, can the buyer return a gun during the inspection period no questions asked?

It is one thing if a seller fails to mention a defect or misrepresents a gun's condition. It is quite another if the buyer backs out of a deal because he decides to buy a motorcycle instead of the gun you just shipped him.

4. There is no substitute for clear communication with a prospective buyer/seller. Speaking to him/her is often invaluable. However, it is ALWAYS best to confirm details in writing. If I'm the seller, I'll also have digital photos to identify the item and document its condition.

Written confirmation provides protection (albeit limited) against rotters. Equally important, it reduces the chance of an honest misunderstanding between honorable people.

In the unlikely event something goes wrong, written confirmation eliminates
    'your word against mine'. If the situation gets really ugly, documents and photos are evidence.

I may be overly cautious but I spent 30 years in business. I dealt with more of the guys you see on Cops and The World's Dumbest Criminals than I did with trap shooters. Overly cautious is a bit tedious but it reduces the chance for disappointments.

sissy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.