1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying New Trap Gun, But Which One?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 1Ljutic1, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

How about a Browning Plus gun? Can be in either BT or Citori, or a combo. Also, with all the adjustments, it will fit almost anyone. Steve

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

It sounds like the KX5 was either a very bad fit for you or maybe you are crossfiring and don't even know it. Have you ever tried a trapgun that worked a whole lot better than the KX5 and if so what was the POI ?? You have to know what is a good fit before you spend money on another gun.

3. Earl4140

Earl4140 TS Member

gp 1217: You have already violated Trap's second law "Never Sell a Trapgun". First Law " Always point your muzzle down range". The Mantra on this forum is "Get Your Gun FITTED".

Going from a KX-5 to a Browning or Beretta is a downer (literaly), the Slicks will no longer welcome you and a lot of Real Trapshooters will shun you. If you are comfortable get an Alfermann, if you are heeled get a SEITZ.

I have never owned a Ljutic. Every owner that I have known has had trouble with his or her gun. They only like premium shells is probably at the top of the list.

Lastly, you need not worry about a Back up Gun. Backup Guns only exist in dreams. I would try to buy back the KX-5. If you must get a new gun assure that the stock (including length of pull) is fully adjustable. You will be able to exactly fit this gun and adjust it as your weight changes. The pitch won't be directly adjustable unless you shim. I always shim the forend because it is less sensitve to change than the butt stock. Good Luck, Earl

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

To gp1217, as I got older my left eye started taking over just sometimes and I would get those mystery misses where everything seemed perfect but the target kept on sailing. If you are right handed and normally shoot with both eyes open try a patch of scotch tape on your left lens enough to mask your left eye's view of the front bead and hold lower on the trap house and see if that works better for you. Phil Kiner has taught many students with a crossfiring problem and I can email his Trap & Field article if you want it.

5. cfchief

cfchief Member

THE GUYS ARE TELLING YOU RIGHT ISOLD MY BERETTAS AN XT S FOR A KX5 DONT GET NO BETTERFIND SOMEONE TO FIT IT TO YOU CHIEF

6. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I too can't shoot a K gun. Was told it is a mid single gun. Try a top single P gun and see if that helps. It helped me. It does need to fit and you also need to bs a good enough shooter. Ray.....

7. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

If someone shuns you because of the gun your shooting their not worth the time it takes to say hello and they are definately not a Real Trap Shooter. Kx5 sure is not high up on the list at any rate. The gun does not make the man or the shooter. Buy the gun you want and stand up and take their money! JMHO, Bill

8. hounddog41@charter.net

hounddog41@charter.net Member

I too shoot a KX. As a matter of fact I have owned two of them. I bought the fourth one that came into the country at Guns Unlimited. I didnt keep it very long because I could not really afford it at that time. Anyway I sold it and a few years later bought another. I really didnt give it time enough. They say it taks about 5000 round before you can tell wheather its good or not. Anyway this time I had a fellow FIT ME with a Wenig laminated blank they call it the Americn trap stock. I also did the same with a top single Browning combo. Its the best money that Ive ever spent. As far as the crossfiring I have it happen once in a while too but just deal with it. Good luck I too think a proper fit is the most important.

9. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Get a older 1100 and watch your scores climb.

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Ljutic, with a PFS.

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Perazzi MX-2000 with a PFS and I just happen to have one for sale that is like brand new ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

There are lots of guns out there for sale. Start shooting them. When you find one that breaks all the birds, buy it. Remember, shoot it before you buy it. HMB

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

HMB- Very good advice.

Pat Ireland

14. ubernut

ubernut TS Member

how about a MOSSBERG

15. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

"Going from a KX-5 to a Browning or Beretta is a downer (literaly), the Slicks will no longer welcome you and a lot of Real Trapshooters will shun you. If you are comfortable get an Alfermann, if you are heeled get a SEITZ." Earl

Earl, a comment like the one you made above says allot about a guy. Just glad I know your name so that I never make the mistake of squadding with you. Good day.

16. bgf

bgf Active Member

gp---,

You just sold a very well made gun and a great shooter. It must have been your fit. To ask us which one you should buy is putting you right back in the same boat you came out of.

As was said, try as many as you can...decide which one you like...and have it fitted properly.

Bernie

17. whos your daddy

whos your daddy TS Member

Blizzard// excellent retort, couldn't have said it better

18. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

A fitted to you stock is much more important than make/model/price!! That's if you want to shoot consistent scores in trap. Hap

19. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Buy a Krighoff.....BUT, don't forget to enroll in a bomb control class FIRST! Then,of course, you have the option of doing the correct thing and buying a Perazzi!

20. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

"Going from a KX-5 to a Browning or Beretta is a downer (literaly), the Slicks will no longer welcome you and a lot of Real Trapshooters will shun you."

If the KS-5 is so great then why do none of the Big Dogs shoot them? From what I have seen nobody shoots those things for more then a few years as nobody can seem to shoot them all that well ( Bob Dodd Excluded of course)I shoot an auto because of recoil and I would love to shoot one of the "Better Guns" from an ease of use and cleaning standpoint. How about this one??? Shoot the gun that you shoot well regardless of the name brand. I know a guy from California who shots 100 straights,99's and 98's from Handicap and has been punched back to at least the 25 yard line using an 870 with Nitro 27's!! He has also shot severall 200 straights at singles. He is one tough non-recoil shy guy!! He can also afford any gun on the planet. What you shoot is not as important as "That you shoot" We don't need trapshooters picking on the other guys toys. Has the sport degraded to that? Or is it just a long winter? PS The buttstock on a KS-5 is like a Fat Girl. There is just no really good way to get a hold of it. Maybe this is why most guys never own them for more then a couple of years.

As for the guy who started this thread.... buy whatever you shoot well and don't buy one until you have shot a few hundred rounds through one. Jeff Westlund

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.