1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BUYING GUNS ON THIS SITE

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by whiz white, Feb 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I'd notify the US Postal Department. They are tenacious in running down these kinds of fraud cases.

If it is a fraud case.

If you have trouble resolving this, you need to post all the information.

Whiz

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I agree with Whiz. Keep us posted about the specifics of this deal. We don't need this type of crap. I have had dealings with fellow shooters on this site and can't say enough about their honesty. Ed

3. romie

romie Active Member

Tell us the name and town and we will hunt him down.or I would notifi the feds.Someone will know him

Thanks or the warning!

4. mulls427

mulls427 Member

Wow that's a large chunk of cash out. Were any FFL's involved? I have bought and sold on here many times with no problems. Just sold my MX-15 and extra barrels last month. I have to admit it has always been scary sending the money and waiting for the gun arrival for sure!! I hope this works out positive for you. Mike Mullery

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Hopefully this wasnt a deal where he was sending you the gun directly(without an FFL) and you are now considering having the postal authorities investigate

regards from Iowa

Gene

6. "Great Scott"

"Great Scott" TS Member

If you are depending on the Postal service or the FBI to help you, lots of luck.
    This is a personal experience and in the last year. I bought two seperate items off Ebay, a trolling motor, and a SS boat prop. About 600.00 total investment for the two. Both purchases time wise were within a week of each other. As it turns out both items were very badly misrepresented and I returned them. Then the wait for the return of my money becomes a month and on and on. So I seek legal action as in fraud/theft. Fill out the appropriate PO paperwork, and nothing happens. I made contact an FBI agent and was told that mail theft/fraud has to be at least $10,000 loss to you, or to a group of loosers to amount to this much or they will do nothing. It appears to me that you can be a US Mail/Internet thief, and as long as you are low budget, you will not be prosecuted. What ever happened to the slogan, crime does not pay !!!! Larry retired LE 30yrs in western Ky.

7. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

First of all post his name and city and a little local information here. The trapshooting community is pretty deep and can be helpful in a situation like this. Someone will have some information on the guy I bet.
    Jake

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

For that kind of money I would have an FFL on both ends. The sending FFL is not likely to put his license in jeopardy to be party to a fraudulent deal.

I have sold to people that wanted me to send from an FFL holder, and I gladly complied to keep their mind at ease.

Sorry to hear of your problem. If you get the guy I will gladly hold a soldering iron to his feet for a while just for grins.

HM

9. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I guess I,v been lucky . I sold Mike a barrel (good guy) Sold Texshooter a Seitz (went well) Sold all kinds of stuff never a problem . Sold a Kreighoff Trap Spacial to a new shooter in New York . He had been shooting a BT-99 for 6 months and thought he would upgrade ?? (that is an upgrade) . Sold Antique in Florida a nice sweater (good buyer). All in All the people on this Site are the best .

10. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

I have never had any trouble on here. You should always talk on the phone several times, have an actual address, check to see if they have an ATA number, AND check their posts on here. If they have very few, or even worse, no posts on here, something is probably up. ALL the details should be worked out prior to sending anything.

Good luck, John

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Ed, I justed looked up his name on a search. This is the only posting that this guy has ever had under this sign on name. I think that any one of use should look up anyone's sign on name and be more than a little leary of someone who only has one post. I'm sorry to hear you are haveing a problem with this guy though Ed. I have had many dealings on hear myself, and all went well. I did look up there sign on names first before sending the money. On the only gun buy I have done on here, I paid a little extra on shipping to do a COD Type. This gave me a few days to look over gun before the seller got the check in his hand. It went very well. Yes, I knew the FFL very well. Always hate to see this type of deal, hope it works out well for you in the end. Break-em all. Jeff

12. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Well, I got a guy prosecuted 25 years ago for a scam through Shotgun News.

We was sentences to 10 years in Federal Prison, and I was asked to be flown to PA to testify for the US Postal Service. All this over a $450 gun deal. He did, however, do this to many, many people.

Also, the Federal judge demanded that he make restitution, which I was told was unheard of. Normally all the court is concerned about is presecution and time.

Whiz

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have only bought 2 guns on line....I paid any fees for FFL on their end and mine. Also A COD is a good way to go on $$$ money items or insecure feelings. I recently bought a used PFS most money I have ever sent. I sent cirtified check, talked on the phone, did a little back ground check. got the stock 3 days later as promised.....Thanks DannyB and skeetman for posting for danny. By the way shot that PFS today....very nice.

14. oletymer

oletymer Member

Maybe I'am old fashioned but I will only buy and sell face to face. That eliminates all problems.

15. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

There is a Troy in Indiana.

He started shooting in 1998

Handicap Yardage: 22.5

2008 no targets

16's handicap doubles

2007 100 99.00% 500 89.80% 300 89.00%

2006 2200 95.59% 1800 91.56% 1500 90.40%

2005 2000 95.75% 1600 89.06% 1600 89.25%

2004 400 90.00% 800 82.13% 700 90.86%

2003 1300 88.46% 1200 84.25% 1500 88.87%

2002 100 81.00% 100 88.00% 100 87.00%

2001 450 90.89% 100 78.00% 300 80.67%

2000 1000 93.90% 500 89.00% 100 82.00%

1999 1500 90.87% 700 85.14%

Ok I can email you his A.T.A. Number not for sure if this is the same guy or not but it is the only one listed like you said maybe something came up and every thing will work out I know 1 time I had a problem and the guy said something happened but it all worked out.

Foggy

16. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Ed :

Ok the email came back but I noticed you had the www. in front of your email on the last post and that is why so I deleted that part and it should get to you now.

Fog

17. trackerdan

trackerdan Member

18. trackerdan

trackerdan Member

What if his neighbor(s) stole his mail?

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The thief would have to have some pretty good false ID to cash a check that size.

Not a valid presumption, Dan.

HM

20. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Ed, sorry to hear of your problem. I hope it ends well.

There is a lot of food for thought here. I have bought several things from sellers on this forum. All have been good experiences. For example, the first gun I bought from bn99plus was exactly as he described. He even sent extra, unrequested pictures to highlight things he wanted to direct my attention to. Recently I bought a second gun from him. During the inspection period I discovered a minor problem he had not been aware of. He made it right immediately.

I've sold several barrels and accessories to buyers found on this forum. Recently I sold barrels, a receiver, trigger, forearm, etc. I always insist on sending pictures, even if they don't want them. I often understate the condition of what I am selling, because I'd prefer the buyer have a...hey, that's better than I expected experience. In fact, all of the buyers of the major items made a point of contacting me to say how pleased they were with their purchase.

I sold a gun to Merlyn at the Grand. He was low on cash so he gave me a personal check. Great guy. No problem with the check.

So I do agree that by and large, most of the people in this sport are good Joes, and as trustworthy as the day is long. However, several posts of this nature indicate there are some frauds out there. So maybe we should collectively come up with a procedure that provides comfort and security to both buyer and seller. Call it the TS.com sales guidelines.

For example, when I buy something I always tell the seller I will be paying via certified or cashier check. That eliminates one worry on their part, and they don't have to ask for one, which some may find embarrassing. I did accept personal checks for some of my last transactions. I had no problems, nor did I expect any, but this thread is making me think.

When I sell something I ship it F.O.B. Destination, insured. That means it is my responsibility to deliver the goods in good condition to the buyer. If there is damage during shipping, it is my responsibility to file the claims. I always provide an inspection period so the buyer can confirm that what was received is what I said it was, in at least as good condition as I described. If a buyer ever called me and said it wasn't what he expected, I'd be very surprised, but he'd get his money back. So those are things I do to protect/reassure the buyer, who is the one at risk after all.

So what is really needed is to protect the buyer against fraud? Any thoughts on solutions other than FFLs on each end?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.