1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying guns on-line

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pjmarko, Dec 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pjmarko

pjmarko TS Member

When purchasing a gun from a private party, how do you protect your self from scam artists selling on-line. How do you know some one on this forum is legit?

Pete

2. open choke

open choke TS Member

I know it's done many times no issues. But you can get burned even with the FFL's I thought they acted as middle man but they don't.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong but this is what I was told by a gun shop.

I make a deal with the seller, I pay, then he sends to the dealer I want to pick up from it gets logged in and out using his books and I get gun after paying FFL. fee.

He said it's always a "buyer beware type deal".

I thought it was like this seller gives gun to his gun shop, then gets payment, and sends to my gun shop. So for the FFL fees that's what they did was be neutral parties in the transaction by handling the paper work and money. So they would be trusted and not risk their business for not "doing the right thing".

But it's not done this way, I would buy online if it was though.

3. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

do a search on the person name for his threads that will help you know some about that person. Tom

4. 682LINY

682LINY Member

a few ideas,,, how many posts do they have,,, how long have they been posting,, ask for feed back from anyone they have delt with,,,, must make phone contac and speak english as a first languge,,spell at least as good as i do,,,and i aint perfect,,when talking must have some knolage of guns,,,,and if all else fails and you get ripped off,,,have no problem,, with tracking him down and ending his internet carear

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Phone contact is the most important thing I think. A five minute conversation usually will show you if they are legitimate or not. Ask for address also. If they do not want to disclose contact information, they are usually being discrete for a reason. Jon

6. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

ask for CLEAR pics....avoid ads where they provide little to no information on the condition of the gun. If they can't write a complete sentence on the condition of the gun, something is wrong.

A good seller will lay out all the flaws of the gun, take some nice CLEAR pics of the gun and flaws (if any) that it has, and list out all the specs (choke constriction, bore diameter,stock dimensions, etc.) to the best of his knowledge.

7. 87AA

87AA TS Member

As stated before do as much research as you can on the seller. I've made several online purchases but one thing I always do is have a phone conversation with the seller. I've been lucky in that everyone I've purchased from has been a shooter of some sort. It's not a guarantee of a smooth transaction but it helps if you both speak the same language (shooter speak). The last gun I bought was from an ad I came across on shotgunworld. After a PM guy called me back we BSd about shooting for 20 minutes before we even talked about the sale.

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I've purchased probably 20 guns online, most of them on GunBroker.com, and have never had one be intentionally misrepresented. But you have to ask questions, request good photos that show the parts of the gun that you want to see and insist on a three-day non-firing inspection period.

I've only had three even somewhat negative buying experiences. One was with a new rifle I bought on GunBroker. The shipping was delayed a week or so and I heard a lot of excuses from the seller, a good ole southern chap who impressed me as someone for whom putting things off was a hobby. But it did eventually arrive at my gunsmith's. Another was a Smith & Wesson revolver that my gunsmith inspected for me, as he does with all my guns sent to him, and found the double-action sear had been butchered in such a way that the hammer didn't travel back fully when cycling the gun in DA mode. The seller, who said in his ad that he did not inspect the gun, reimbursed me for 50% of the $66 repair cost. And an unfired, limited-production S&W revolver arrived with aftermarket grips but the seller, who really didn't know much about collectable S&Ws, reimbursed me for the correct ones.

I enjoy buying guns and gun-related items online. The selection is the best you're going to find.

Ed

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

Great advice so far.

There are plenty of good people on this site and they will deal with you fairly. I have bought one gun on TS.com and it was a very good transaction. The scam artists can be sniffed out if you make the effort.

I have used Gunbroker and it has a rating system that is helpful. Only one iffy deal on Gunbroker out of many transactions.

Don Verna

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If you are nervous, require the seller to ship from his own ffl guy. I don't know of a dealer that will jeopardize his license for a scammer.

HM

11. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I have bought several guns and a number of accessories, barrels, stocks, chokes, etc. through Trapshooters.com, most have been from Midwestern sellers, a few from the east coast. The only problem I've had, have been with a sellers FFL who aren't up to speed with computers and don't undestand how simple it is to have a California DOJ authorization approval number issued to ship a gun. Other than this small stumbling block, everything has gone well from sellers on this sight.

I haven't purchsed through Guns America, Gun Broker and other online sellers other than Indiana Gun Club, whom I've purchased three Perazzi's and two Guerini's and a couple of barrels with very good results.

It pays to have conversations with the sellers and ask questions and as Ed stated, request good pictures showing every aspect of the purchase.

Surfer

12. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

As per above get a phone# call & talk you will get a pretty good "feel" of the situation if in doubt DON'T. I have bought & sold a lot of things here on TS & haven't had any problems yet. I did sell some hulls here on TS a couple weeks ago & P.O. quoted 1 amount then when I sent them the postage was less so I emailed that I would refund the difference, then I discovered that I had misplaced the P.O. receipt so I went by memory & sent the refund only to find out my memory wasn't too good, emailed him again & said I would send the $1.00 that I was short before I could get an envelope he emailed back & said he was happy and don't waste the postage for one dollar. Hope you have good luck---Ross Puls

13. copper

copper Member

Reverse look up on line if he is ATA shooter you can look that up and all the above

14. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

I just bought a gun off Gunbroker, M.O. went out Friday after Thanksgiving, Cashed Dec 5, Finally after getting Gunbroker back involved they shipped it Yesterday.I think the seller was just Slow.Sure makes a person mad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.