1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying guns at the Grand

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 017530, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 017530

017530 TS Member

Can a person buy a gun while at the Grand and take it home like the old Grand.

2. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Last year a friend - Missouri resident - was able to buy a new gun from a dealer (went through the proper paperwork) and take it home - we rode there together. I wanted to buy the same type of gun - Browning Sporting - but was told that since I am a Kansas resident living in a state which is not contiguous to Illinois, I would have to have the gun shipped to me - couldn't take it with me. I thought long guns could be sold anywhere - legally - not requiring the purchaser's resident state to be next to Illinois....is this right? The question posed by 017530 is a good one and I am sure posters on here can respond accurately. Best Regards, Ed

3. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Mich. only touches IL in the middle of Lake Mich, but we were allowed to buy and bring home my wifes new Browning.

4. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Long guns must have state borders touching. Handguns, only resident of state of purchase without shipping to FFL. This is my understanding.

5. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Under Federal law, long guns (rifles/shotguns) may be sold to residents of contiguous (adjoining) states, if both states allow such sales. So, as a Wisconsin resident, I could buy and take delivery of a shotgun at the Grand last year since Wisconsin and Illinois are contiguous. Such sales are not permitted for handguns. A key is that both states involved in such sales must permit the sale. Another factor is that the seller must be licensed to sell firearms in Illinois of course. My dealer was from Pennsylvania, but also held an Illinois license since they had an established place of business in Illinois at the Grand. I would guess that this mean some sellers who do business out of tents might not be so licensed. Of course, all the normal requirements such as NICS checks, forms, etc apply reguardless as they do in any firearms sale.

6. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

There are gun laws and there are IL gun laws. They probably had to have a change in the state regulations change to get the "touching state law".

Rock

Jim

7. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

(B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Don't think so. I bought my K80 last year. I know of several who bought guns last year and took them home. They were not touching states. These were from known dealers. I believe they had to get a Ill. license of some sorts. Now the dealers were from Ohio which would touch MI. Sort it out and talk to the dealers.

Don

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Cy-Kick is right on. It's up to the individule state.

10. Stuart

Stuart Member

I'm a Illinois Dealer and I sell guns to those shooters that can pass the NCIC Check. IT DOESN'T matter what state you are from. Illinois changed that law under the last Gov, who is in Prison. It is the part of the Illinois law dealing with Gun Shows.All Dealers on the vendor row are Illinois FFL Dealers. They must clear the sale with the Illinois State Police, who in turn also clears the sale with NCIC and you walk with the Gun. If you are a Illinois resident you wait 24 hours for the long gun.Three days for a hand gun.Out of State residents can not purchase a hand gun.
    Hope this helps,
    Wright's Inc.

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Heck, last year they were telling us you had to buy an out of state hunting license to buy a firearm!!.....

12. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I really love living in this state, (ILLinois) also know as state of confusion

13. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Last year at the Grand I purchased a new gun from a dealer not home based in IL. I live in Fl. Took the gun with me. Was not a problem and the dealers I spoke with all said no problem for me to purchaseand take home. Jake

14. les morgan

les morgan TS Member

Last year at the Grand one dealer had a sign that listed a few states that he could not sell a gun to residents of. It included Kansas where I am from. Has anyone heard of this? There may have been some riff between Ill and Ks. Thanks, Les.

15. monroesc

monroesc Member

I'm from OH and bought a Ceasar G from Dawson Ent. (also from OH)at the Grand and only had to pass the IL background check.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.