1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying From Grand Gun Vendors

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Westie, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Westie

Westie Member

Go to the Grand every year for a day. It's about a 250 mile drive one way. When I go in the tents and buildings of vendors with guns for sale, the sales people are almost always too busy talking to people they know, buddies, or each other. The manufacturer's reps. aren't that way in their buildings. They seem friendly and eager to help. Many vendors run adds asking people to stop in at the Grand, but it just seems like you have to be in "the club" to get any attention. Been in sales over 40 years and I refuse to chase somebody down to sell me something.

2. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

With the number of people looking compared to the number buying, I wouldn't chase customers around either. I bet if you gave them a wave or a nod they would run right over. I bet you the buyers make up less then 1% of the people that walk thru the tent. Don't be so hard on them!!!

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Reps have nothing to sell, so it doesn't matter to them who they spend their time with. Dealers are going to spend their time with those who they think are going to spend $, and aren't just tire kickers.

4. cgd14782

cgd14782 Member

Westie has it right. I have been here since Tues afternoon & have run into the same thing. I stand there waiting for the vendor to get done shootin the bull with a good ol boy, to get a price & many times I have turned & walked out. If I really want something, I can go back the next day or again the next day & finally get an answer, or just don't go back if I find something elsewhere. People who are here only one day can't do that. As I am walking out, I wonder how many bills that vendor can pay with the B-Sn he is doing with his buddys. And yes I am a buyer with cash to spend if I can get a decent price on what I am looking at/for. I figure if they don't have time for me, then they don't need my business/money.

Gene

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The Grand is also a place for folks to catch up with old friends and meet new. I have bought 2 used guns and 1 new from dealers at the Grand in the short time I've been shooting and never had a problem getting help. Pull on your big boy panties and speak up. God gave you a voice. Geez!!

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

You can bet that if one vendor has one another one will also, being attentive to a customer only shows good business sense ... If a vendor is busy with a customer they can always tell you they will be right with you rather than say nothing at all and ignore you all together ... I would probably walk away and not go back but thats just me and my Big Boy Boxers ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

More tire kicking people at the grand than you can believe- just sit and people watch

You can watch the guys go from vendor to vendor- wanting to get into a conversation and never intending on purchasing anything

Regards from Iowa

Gene

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I know of what you speak Westie.

It was the last day of the shoot and I had decided to purchase one of those high dollar triggers. The one I wanted was around 1400-1600 hard earned bucks.

Went to the dealer, but he wouldn't stop talking to a friend of his who only wanted to shoot the bull. After waiting 20 minutes, I thought he didn't really want my business so I walked out and never looked back.

I also decided I really didn't want to do business with someone who thought so little of a potential customer.

Hauxfan!

9. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

This reminds me of my dad when I was young. We needed a new car. The old one bit the dust and my dad had to take the bus to work for a few days. He had the cash money for the car and stopped into the dealer after work, in his work clothes, he was a welder.

The salesman did not even look at him when he walked into the showroom. Other customers entered and were waited on right away. Finially my dad approched the salesman and showed him the wad of cash he had to buy a new car, cash. At that point the salesman was all over him. He told my dad he did not look like he could afford to buy a car much less with cash. He did not buy the car at that dealership.

How you are treated by a dealer of anything makes or breaks the deal.

10. Westie

Westie Member

All I'm saying is that I own three trap guns. Go to the Grand for one day every year, the first two in Vandalia. Never bought a gun at the Grand which is shotgun heaven. Never had a dealer give me the time of day. Always feel like I'm interrupting. Maybe I just don't look like a customer.

11. kenf

kenf Active Member

I always had a good experience In Jaqua's in Vandalia (haven't been to Sparta). Nick and the other employees would typically stop and ask if I needed help, except at the times when it was packed with people getting out of the heat for awhile (guilty of that).

12. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Was new car dealer for 35 years and can tell you many stories like Bernie K mentioned. Remember, nothing happens until you sell something. It amazes me when you go into a place of business to spend your money and the help is standing around talking and nobody greets you or anybody ask if you need any help or assistance.

13. Gary Beer

Gary Beer Member

Hmmmmm, I must be doing it wrong. I prefer to look, touch, shoulder and decide if I like it without any help. I found there were plenty of guns sitting on the shelf that could be looked at and touched. i always do my research before i buy so i usually dont need a salesman holding my hand. If I had questions, I made eye contact or asked.

Sounds like an easy way to keep your money in your pocket??

GBeer

14. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I'm exactly like Gary. I MUCH prefer to be left alone until I have a question or am ready to buy. I find overbearing sales people to be MUCH more annoying than having trouble finding someone when I need them.

15. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Yep Bernie, reminds me when I was a youngun. My Mom and I lived on a dairy farm in Buena Park California owned by some old Dutch families. Ol' man Van DeVere asked us along to by his new cadillac.

When we arrived at the dealership, nobody paid much attention to the old guy in the coveralls with the cow manure boots on.

except one old grizzled salesman who looked over from talking to a tire kicker.

He calmly walked over to Mr Van DeVere, reached out his hand and they shook.

Pretty soon Mr Van DeVere was driving away with us in a brand new '60 Cadillac, and the old salesman was standing there with a fistful of cash.

The only thing Mr Van DeVere trusted was cash.

find the salesman who trusts in cash...

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I guess shopping on your own is fine if you know the vendors inventory, thats something he/she just might know better then you and if you don't see it you won't buy it ... I do not like a salesperson walking me by the hand either but there are times when they ask if you need any help and then leave you to your business until you need them again if you tell them you don't ... I have been on both sides of that and can tell you its bad business to not acknowledge your customers in my book, that might be your money they have in their pockets ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I have been selling diff. products much of my life. One thing I learned. "You can't judge a book by its cover". Many tire kickers have deep pockets.

Clyde Doll

18. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

There are some who don't like their inventory "touched" while unattended. Too many thing can happen like being dropped, scratched, etc.etc.

19. Westie

Westie Member

I have always believed in asking first. Another reason why it's irritating when they are tied up talking to members of "the club".

20. deadnout

deadnout Member

im with gary beer and skeet-man. I like to shuffle around the store and look. if I see an item I want. Ill inquire about it an buy it. I was at gibsons guns at the grand sat looking around. there were 2 bt"s there. I had a question .the sales person was coming by and I stopped him. he was very friendly and full of the right answers. he answered my questions and I left the store feeling good about the experience. I did stop at another vender to inquire about some work. he was already talking with 2 people, I stood there and waited. it was 2 customers that were picking their guns up and asking questions. I waited my turn and then I was taken care of. all in all it was a good day with the vendors.

Search tags for this page

buying a gun from a vendor