1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying barrels

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dhip, Dec 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhip

dhip Active Member

OK,by now most know I'm New to this sport.I've seen barrels offered and was wondering as I sometimes do...
    I have a Browning Citori Sporting Clay Special Edition,,ahem,bought because it felt good not knowing that it wasn't a trap gun,,Don't ask.....So,my wondering is,,is it possible to buy just a barrel for trap shooting for this gun and swap out the 28" ported barrel,for let's say a 30" single barrel for trap.And how do I know an offered barrel will fit.

Doug H.

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Having one of these guns, I would offer that newer model barrels will absolutely NOT fit, and barrels of the same vintage MIGHT fit. A while back, I had access to five newer model Brownings. NONE of the barrels off them would fit my Special.

Stay with what you have, or buy a dedicated trap gun. I have very high cheekbones, due to Native-American heritage, and my Special shoots about 80% high, so it works for everything, including 27 yard trap. All three of my Brownings, Special Sporting, Ultra XT, and newly acquired FN Belgian-made Super X-2 Sporter have identical Points-of-impact. Makes it easy to shoot either of them.

3. mwmham

mwmham Member

contact MidWest Gun Works and see what they have to say

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Friend..., All you need is a higher stock. I know a man who won a major state handicap championship with his 28 inch Citori. If you decide you want to buy a dedicated trap gun with a higher stock and a longer barrel/ barrels, then you sell the gun you have and quit throwing good money after bad.

This is assuming that you can't get it done with 28 inch barrels which I think as a new shooter you have a million other places you can put your worry and concern that would serve you better then worrying about barrel length. Good luck new shooter. JEFF

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

How do you know it will fit? ......you don't.

Maybe it will fit, maybe not. If it doesn't fit, maybe it can be fitted.......maybe not.

John C. Saubak

6. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

28in barrels are just fine. I shoot 28's all the time and the barrel length has NEVER been the reason I missed a target. Make the gun shoot where you look and you'll be gold. Worry about important things.

Charlie

7. dhip

dhip Active Member

Thanks for replys,I'll shoot what I got for at least another year.Got into a slump after I ran my first 25 in Aug.and of course I turn to the gun and other things to try and fix it.NOT,,I've learned I might have picked up a few bad habits since Aug.I'll work on correcting those,instead of changing or messing with the gun.Dedicated trap gun may be in the distant future,but I'll try to learn this gun to the best of my ability first.One year shooting has been mentioned to me as a beginning,and told don't change anything yet.People that seen me start felt I really eccelled early on and need to have patience and work throgh this slump.

Thanks again

Doug H.

8. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

Congratulations on your first 25...there in lies your problem..you will always be looking for the next 25..could come tomorrow, maybe next week...that's why they call this "TRAP" ..you shoot alittle and then hit the big 25, and yep, YOUR TRAPPED...save your dollars, head up to a BT99, keep the Citori for "Doubles and other games"..The BTs are on here for sale ALL THE TIME...it is a most excellent single barrel, and very affordable.. (more so than the shells you will shoot!)... Good Luck....LarryB

9. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Focus on the fundamentals. The gun is merely along for the ride. If you aren't properly committing the fundamentals, a different gun isn't going to help much. Make sure you are focusing hard on the target, setting up properly, keeping your face glued to the stock, following through.

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Do you know where the POI of your gun is? Does it have a built in vertical lead? You have to find this out if you want to be a good trap shooter. HMB

11. dhip

dhip Active Member

Yep,patterned the gun at gun club a couple weeks ago,shoots a little high which is good,all along I thought it shot flat being a sporting clay gun.

Fundementals,,,ahhh,that's the key...Thanks to a couple people at club last thursday who happened to watch me I found out a couple bad habits I picked up.

1.Targets going left or right hard,apparently for some unknown reason I was stopping.
    2. Couldn't believe this one but since it came from my mentor,I have to,he seen me on handicaps and apparently the targets he seen me miss I was lifting my head.
    3.While mounting gun at home,my wife who rarely says anything becaus as she says,she target shoots,not trap shoot,questioned my mount.Low and behold,whether because of some recent weight gain or not,I wasn't mounting into the pocket of my shoulder.Apparently was sliding a tad outside to the shoulder itself.

How I was hitting anything at all I now wonder.Soooo,back to mentally doing my mount step by step,and concentrating of Keeping the Wood on the Wood,as my mentor likes to say.

Thanks for all advice,I havee to learn patience for sure.

Doug H.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.