1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying an Unsingle

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bkt, Jul 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkt

bkt TS Member

I would appreciate some sound advice (knowing everyone has an opinion), about buying a new(er) Unsingle. New or used, but the budget is $5000 range. I shoot 3000 or so rounds a season, and enjoy the sport a lot!

2. The Kolar Kid

The Kolar Kid TS Member

The Browning XT Unsingle Combo is a really nice gun for the money. gunsunlimited.com is where you will find those bad boys.

3. ZELMO1

ZELMO1 TS Member

KX-5 or Beretta 682 unsingle. Check out Joel Etchen's web site. He is a true gentleman and runs a great business. Just google Joel Etchen. Good luck,Al

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The KX-5 is actually a Mid Single in between a Top Single and an Un-Single. I would look for a used MX-15 as it is Perazzi's entry level gun and has all the real attributes of their more pricey models.

5. bkt

bkt TS Member

I should have noted that I shoot an SKB 85TSS 32"O/U.

6. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

A KX-5 would be the best choice.

7. krieghoffkrusher

krieghoffkrusher TS Member

Of course this is very subjective and everyone has there favorite gun or brand. In your price range I would look real hard at Beretta's 682 Unsingle. Joel Etchen is fantastic to deal with and so is Shyda's. Shyda has some upgraded wood guns and he is selling them for normal price. Both are located in Pennsylvania.

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I'd give a nod toward the KX5, but some of my buddies swear by their Kolar T/S - either used, if found in your price range, would do the job.

Jay

9. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Within that price range you can get allot of good gun for the money but if it was me and I did have that much to spend I would consider either a Beretta 682 or an SKB85TSS.

Both the above are great guns and given the choice I would slide towards a SKB combo 34" unsingle with either a 30" or 32" O/U barrel, adjustable comb, hard case and ... well ... at about that point if your only shooting about 3000 rounds a year you would have enough money to pay for a years worth of Remington STS shells and a little ching to help pay target fee's.

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

bkt, for the amount of your budget there is alot available in the used market from P and K guns down to Beretta 682's. Its what will work best for you.

I have a friend that has an SKB unsingle for sale for half of your budget if interested. This would seem a logical choice to me since you have the O/U already.

11. jdomas

jdomas Member

Browning XT Combo. I've been shooting one for 2 years now and love it. Just change out the Browning adjustable comb hardware.

John D.

12. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

I bought a Beretta 687 unsingle combo from Joel Etchen in May. I love it. After a month and half of practicing and adjusting it I'm finally shooting good scores with it.

For the money you pay for this gun it's really hard to beat. His web site is listed above.

Dale

13. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Find a used Perazzi. The Grand American is a great gun. You should be able to find one in your budget. Jake

14. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Look at various sites. The Perazzi MX 15 is an excellent gun. Those that shoot it are really pleased. If you watch carefully you can find a MX3 Special combo for around 5K. It is an excellent gun and well worth the money.

As to other models I can not attest. But do not see that many on the line. - Jim

15. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I have a Joel Etchen Comb Beretta and it is a great deal for the money. I also have a Caesar Gureini Summit Trap that another great buy. All the gun that are listed will work but some just work better for diffance people. I would shoot as many gun as you can and make the choice on your own.

16. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I have two Beretta DT 10 unsingle guns, so I am going to sell one. It has a RAD unit and double release triggers by Spears. Easy to remove the release hooks if you don't need them yet. Do a search and you will see the DT 10 is one of the most dependable guns you can buy. I will take $5000.00 and ship it to you.

Jon Schorle, Sacramento, CA

17. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Used K80 if you can find one don't bother with the kx5. Used perazzi would also be good. Caeasr Guerinni and Blauser in New Guns.
    Joe

18. The Kolar Kid

The Kolar Kid TS Member

Jon Schorle, Sacramento, CA;

I will be in Sacto Sept 9-16 and was hoping to shoot some. Maybe we can meet and shoot a little trap?

KK

19. bkt

bkt TS Member

Thanks for the input. Several shooters in my local club, have suggested keeping my SKB 85TSS O/U, and looking into a new set-up BT-99.

20. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

A BT-99 is a very nice gun, but it is not an unsingle. If your 85TSS O/U fits you, I would suggest trying to locate an unsingle barrel for it, or buying an 85TSS unsingle gun. Then find a competent gunsmith and have him set it up so both barrels fit both receivers. Then you will have a backup gun as well and use the rest of your money to go shooting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.