1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

buying American

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Sep 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

This is getting harder and harder to do. Remington primers 150/5000 vs cheddite or wolf at 95/5000. Have not seen any info to prove quality ups/downs. At the current rate I will not be able to afford to be American. All these big companys with their tax breaks, I just do not get it. Everything is going up, but pay check.

2. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

CCI the last I saw was 145/5000.

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I recently bought Rex 1 in the 25 lb container at a big shoot for $221. Rio primers were in the low $80's.

The domestic suppliers need to wake up and smell the coffee. The imported products give the same level of performance, if not better.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

I will continue to support American products when possible. I have not yet shot any imported shells and all of my components are made in the USA. I do try to buy in quantities large enough to get a good price.

Pat Ireland

5. lumper

lumper TS Member

I bet you would be surprised ... when you think your buying American you would be surprised how much of that product is actually not American made or made with American made machinery or shipped by ... well, at some point in time there is really almost no product in the US that is does not support the global economy in some form and manner.

But its always good to try and buy American.

6. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

We buy American any time we can, but it's getting harder to do. The other day my wife came home all excited.

"Guess what", she said, "I bought a new bath mat, made in the USA, and it only cost twice as much as a Chinese one!"

7. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Yeah right......Buy American and make the Chinese happy!

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

The best I can do is buy from American gun store owner.

9. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I heard that there may be a bill pending in congress that will make manufacturers list the incredients of there products as to the percentage of what country they are from, pretty much like the label of food products.

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

My thing is, how the hell can a 5thousand primers made here in the US be up to 60.00 more than ones from Russia? I mean really some one had to get paid to get those dame things shipped here! I pay 20 bucks to have a 23lb package shipped halfway USA. These buggers coming in 3000miles away or so imported shipped to whole saler then shipped to me. Just agrivating. To boot, I cant get REmingtons locally. Any way just really pissing me off. We are asked to support american business, but the american business is not helping us do that. Really what percentage of taxes did remington pay last year Bet it was no where near the percentage stolen from me at gun point every week.

11. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

I'll buy from WHOMEVER gives me the most value for my hard-earned money, be it components, ammo, gun or automobile. I don't understand why someone who is about to spend 30 or 40 grand on a new vehicle would settle for 3rd or 4th choice and maybe even lesser quality just to "buy American". It's high time American companies figure out why they are losing business to foreign competition, and address the issues. I'll bet we'd end up with better quality lower priced domestic goods. JMO........Rick

12. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Hey 3dram8, Do you work for an American company for that hard earned money? Maybe your company will start working offshore and then there won't be any money to earn!

Steve

13. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

If you continue to buy imports where will your children work?Sure there are plenty of jobs paying 8 bucks an hour,but you cant even get a car loan(import or American)on those wages, let alone a mortgage.Americans need to make higher wages because of the higher cost of living,ergo the higher cost of products....Don

14. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

As a student of American history I find it interesting that the same political ideology (the left) that is commonly thought of as being the most supportive of the little guy thought that cheap imports were the best thing for America 200+ years ago. It was argued that the common man could only afford imports and any action that restricted the free flow of cheap goods would hurt the little guy. Of course the little guy of the 18th century was not a factory worker but instead a farmer.

No point just an observation

15. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Buying American is almost impossible. Go to Home Depot (or about any other place) and look at all the boxes for "Made in the USA." You won't find one product in 10. (If you do find a product that says Made in USA take it apart and see where the parts are made.) Big American corporations have no loyalty to America. None. They go where labor and materials are cheap for production and then sell in the States. They have no loyalty except to money. Jake

16. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

The fact is; America manfactures very little these days. EPA, OSHA, TAXES, It's just a lot easer to make something where the laws are not in place, as they are here. Get the best deal you can, and send your kid to a college that gives degrees in something other than manfacturing focused degrees. Unless they want to move to a 3rd world country and starve on what they will get paid. That's the new world order. Get used to it.

17. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

jakearoo said regarding Big American companies "They have no loyalty except to money"

Can't the same be said for the American worker? They want cheap goods, high wages, great benefits and 40 hr work weeks. Labor cost are driving manufacturing as well as tech support over seas.

It is natural evolution to always want more than what you had before, be it the businessman who invests or risks his money to hopefully get a profit in return or the worker that trades his labors for money and benefits or the consumer that want more for the dollar

18. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

The worst thing about this is that its going to get worse. Whether its shooting componets or whatever its going to come from what used to be called third world countries. I work for a large auto parts supplier. It sickens me to see this Chinese trash coming in the door but as the boss said...If we dont sell it someone else will. Iacocca said it best... You either lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way. Gerald

19. oletymer

oletymer Member

24str8, you said it well. Cheap imports have spoiled Americans. They no longer value what is made here if it costs more.

20. Opion8ted

Opion8ted TS Member

Are K-80's made in America?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.