1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying advice on older Ithaca 37

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by CLP101, May 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

I always wanted an Ithaca 37. My local shop gets one in here and there, and just happens to have one now. It looks to be in great shape. I don't know what to look for on these guns. Like inherent problems and what wears out first. It seems very tight when pumped, and the rigger breaks clean. He wants $250 for it. It's 12 ga with 28" Mod bbl 2 3/4" chamber. Any info would be appreciated.

2. len loma

len loma TS Member

I bought a vent rib 12ga "70"s gun on this site for $325 shipped. Thought that was pretty fair given it's condition of about 95%. Mine is my field beater pheasant gun. Seem to be a very dependable gun that points nice. Hit plenty of birds with it already. Have a 20 ga model 87 which is pretty much the same as a 37 except barrels do not inner change. Shoot well,Len

3. ithaca33

ithaca33 Member

Buy t! They are fantastic guns for field use and on the trap field can break em with the best of them!

In decent shape $250 is on the low side so I wouldnt hesitate if it fits and feels right.

4. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

The one inherent weakness with some of the post 855,000 serial number guns was the spot welds on the action bars. Ithaca wasn't at it's best in those years and they got sloppy with a few things. They didn't do a good job of locking the action bar to the slide tube with their spot welds. On some guns the welds break loose. If this is a fixed mod choke it probably predates the trouble years. If it is a pre 855,00 gun the barrel threads have pitch like a pipe thread and barrels are not interchangeable. A few pre 855,000 guns did get the straight-thread interchangeable barrels. All the post 855,000 guns should have barrel interchangeability.

If you have any doubts about the action bar have a good welder tig it down. Like drill out a couple of spot welds and have the parts tig welded together at the holes.

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Buy it.

These guns are very durable and don't really have any serious design flaws.

You will get your money's worth on this one.

6. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

Thanks for the info.

7. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Their claim to fame was light weight. Recoil could be a problem if you shoot heavy shells. Clyde

8. archangel

archangel Member

A little of the topic but does anyone shot thier new trap model?

9. JayLC

JayLC TS Member

Ithaca Model 37's are currently being made in Upper Sandusky, Ohio. You might want to talk with the factory to see what they have to say about the older models. Their website is ithacagun.com.

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I-37s are slick operating John Browning design pumps. 250 is very reasonable for one.

Hap

11. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Ithaca's M37 Featherlight is one of the true classics, especially w/ the old "corncob" forend. $250 for one of those in "great shape" is a deal.

Enjoy.

-Gary

12. Mapper

Mapper Member

Sounds pretty good for a ribbed gun. My son was a big model 37 fan. When I sold some of his, the plain guns brought that. They are the current bargain in the pump gun world.

13. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I dont agree with GW22- those model 37s are often in gun shops but rarely sell

If it were 150 that might be more in the range assuming it has the normal wear and dings

Now if you dont care about price than 250 is only 250 and you will have the gun you want

Regards from Iowa

Gene

14. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

GN7**** I can sell them all day long in nice condition, vent rib for 250.00 in 12ga. 20 are 300.00 and up. May be the part of the country your in. I would love to get some for 150.00.

15. smokinbuck

smokinbuck Member

I don't know much about them but I bought one from a friend who was moving about 5-6 years ago for $300. I bought it primarily for the bottom eject as I shoot left handed. It's a 20 gauge 37R Deluxe with a solid rib, mid bead and 28" full choked barrel. It also appears to have nicer than average wood. Condition overall I would say is about 80-85%. Don't know if it's worth what I payed but it fits and shoots well.
    Mark

16. oletymer

oletymer Member

Archangel. I bought one of the new trap models and love it. I bought one because I started with one in the mid 50s. I thought it would be fun to end my shooting with one. The action is smoother than the old one but the safety is a sloopy fit.

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Boy I would love to find some of those gun shops that have M37's selling for $150-$250. There aren't any shops like that around here I can tell you that.

This is an all steel gun with real walnut stocks. Even at $350 there isn't anything you can buy today that will match the quality of an old M37.

Okay, admittedly, I'm a bit biased here - my favorite pump shotgun is the M37 and I have a 52' vintage M37 in 16 gauge that is a rooster's worst nightmare.

18. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

I worked at Ithaca Gun in 68,69 & 70. They were building quality guns back then. I have a Model 37 Supreme full choke vent rib wirh outstanding wood I am going to sell, but it's more than 250.00. It has one small ding in the stock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.