1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a XT?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sglfr45, Mar 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

I have been thinking about buying a Browning XT O/U for a doubles gun. I already have a BT99. I have seen several threads complaining about misfires and XT's not shooting straight. Could I please have some opinions on the gun, before I sink 2 grand into one. Also, what is better 30" or 32"? Thanks for the help, Matt

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I have owned ad shot a lot of XT's over the years and never had a single problem them. This doesn't mean that there aren't any out there with issues.

When you buy an XT, find one with the fixed M/C stock and have a reputable stockmaker cut you in a comb. You'll be much happier if you do this. Poor gun fit has a lot to do with shooting left or right of center.

The second thing that you'll want to keep in mind is good maintience habbits. When shooting in the winter time and the gun goes from hot and cold conditions make sure to take the stock off from time to time to clean and lube the triggers. I normally use a dry graphite lube so it doesn't attract any moisture. This also takes effect if shooting in the rain as well.

Lastly, try to use both barrels. A few people that I know use the top barrel for singles and the bottom for 'caps. This way both barrels are being utilized and both trigger springs are being used.

Between the 30" or 32" barrels. Try them both out and find out what you prefer. I would own another XT if I could get one that wasn't ported!

ec90t

3. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

I agree with ec90t, purchased a new xt 2mos. ago stocks on these things bite the big one, after fitting a new stock this things now a bird buster. But I must say it had to the point of taking a loss , and dumping it before I built a stock that fit me.

Tom R.

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Matt,

I should clarify why I said to buy one with a fixed M/C stock. Brownings factory adjustable comb hardware sucks! This is just a fact and it's widely known!

ec90t

5. a budine

a budine Member

Three years - 15,000 rounds - running perfectly - you won't regret the purchase.

6. Big Bopper

Big Bopper TS Member

I concur. A very nice trap gun to start out with at a reasonable price.

7. missemucho

missemucho Member

Our club frequently has whole squads of nothing but XT's; I have yet to hear about anyone having problems with them (including me; about 8,000 shots in the past year and no problems).

The 32" is much more common here and appears to have better resale value--unless you plan on shooting a lot of doubles I'd buy that if you can shoot it decently.
    John

8. kolar-bkpt

kolar-bkpt TS Member

Matt C is this you?

Gary W

9. doctordennis

doctordennis TS Member

Matt,
    I shoot one for doubles and love it! (96 avg) Have converted to double release and thumbhole stock. If you are going to buy one let me know as I would love to get the new unsingle barrel for mine and would be interested in making a deal with you if you would be willing to buy the combo and sell me the unsingle barrel. Please email me and let me know!

Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.