1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a Used Truck Advise

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ronbo142, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I need a new truck preferablly a extended cab 4wd Ford 250.

This truck will serve be a prime mover for a 5th wheel horse trailer.

We are looking at a 1999 model with 120,000 the wife seems to think that this is high miliage what do you all think. This vehicle will get no more than 600 miles per month once purchased.

Ronbo

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ronbo ... find another vehicle because if she thinks it is high mileage she will never approve of the vehicle and each and every time there is even a light out on it she will bring up the point of it being high mileage and she warned you about it.

I would strongly suggest you ask her what she recommends and then get what she recommends ... you know she is always right and even when she is wrong she is still always right. ;-)

3. oletymer

oletymer Member

Mileage way to high. Look around for something with half that or less.

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Ronbo,

A little food for thought. Ford makes a good truck, but like everything else they have their quirks.

The biggest thing to look for when buying a used Ford truck is have the frontend checked out extensively. Ford doesn't believe in grease zerks on the steering and suspension componets. These repairs can add up to a couple of thousand dollars in a hurry. this needs to be looked at reguardless of miliage.

The other is engine choises. By one with the 7.3L diesel and stay away from the 6.0's and V10's. The 6.0 diesel has been nothing but trouble and the V10 won't pass a gas station empty or loaded.

Just my observations and talking to all the horse people in my neck of the woods.

ec90t

5. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

I believe it really depends on how well it was taken care of.

I took real good care of my 97 F-150 4x4 supercab, but when I traded it at 81K, it needed a good once over to the tune of about 2 grand. Tires, rotors in front, brakes all around, trans flush, and coolant flush. It was also starting to have little electrical issues like the power windows acting up, lights intermittent, and CD player not working.

I'm glad it didn't have any major issues, although I did do the rotors and brakes at 44K, and my steering box went at 45K. I had a couple bad coils and plugs over the years, and replaced a U-joint. I have redone the front end components and upgraded to greasable fittings. I kept up with the usual repairs and maintenance, but it was due, and I got a real good deal on an 01 Supercrew with very low miles. I will trade that one at 80K also.

I think if I put the 2 grand into the 97, I would still be driving it and have about 120,000 miles, but it was too small for my growing family, and the Supercrew fits us way better as a trip vehicle.

The dealer also gave me 2 grand more in the trade than I was expecting. Probably because the body was immaculate and it was an all option Lariat. I've been the high mileage route before with a Bronco, and, because of that bad experience, I would never buy a high mileage vehicle again. I had nothing but constant brake problems with that Bronco, and the motor, trans, and transfer case were questionable.

Better buying a newer low mileage vehicle with a known history I say.

6. Michael Gregory

Michael Gregory Member

Kommiefornia, but North Idaho soon... REALLY!
    I think the advice from magnumshot is dead on! Well said! Also, I was recently looking into a used Ford truck and was warned by one of my customers, who has many years of experience building high-end off road vehicles, to stay away from the '99 Ford trucks, as they have some sort of a weak spot or flaw in the frame which has been a problem - "99's only though. - Good luck! Michael Gregory

7. carv

carv Member

Go to the web site above and join. Great people with a wealth of knowledge about Ford trucks. I drive two Ford trucks both 6.0 power strokes. Never had a problem with either of them, one is a 2003 and the other is a 2006 both have LOTS and LOTS of power. My two cents will get you two recommendations. One, DON’T buy a truck that has been modified in any way to include engine tuners. I would ask if it has ever had a tuner installed and if so run away. Two, use the web site above to get an Oasis report, you will need the VIN number. You can also ask the dealer for one if buying from a dealer. Once you have the report ask the people on the above web site for their opinion on the truck. The report will show all repairs done to the truck by Ford.

8. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Buying a used vehicle is always a risk. You might get a high mileage vehicle that was well cared for or you might get a low mileage vehicle that was only driven on Sunday (¼ mile at a time by “Big Daddy” Don Garlits or Shirley “Cha Cha” Muldowney.)

Still, if the price is low enough, you may come out ahead. I have kept several vehicles well over 100,000 miles. Be prepared to spend money on critical systems before you start to enjoy your new, used vehicle. Given that you will be pulling a horse trailer, you need to be extra careful with brakes, suspension and steering. Watch out for the brake master cylinder. It’s no fun when one of these fails.

IMO, most parts are not designed to last more than 100,000 miles and, at this mileage number, a lot of parts seem to wear out. I remember having to spend quite a bit around the 100,000 mile number and then being able to drive the vehicle another 100,000 miles.

A lot of Ford F250’s go on and on. They just need their maintenance.

9. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Carv,

In my neck of the woods, you can't give away a 6.0 to the horse people. Ford has bought too many back. If you've ever pulled a big horse trailer, you'll know how hard it is on a truck. The 7.3's get better milage anyway!

ec90t

10. carv

carv Member

I pull a 38' 4 horse slant, rear tac, with full living quarters, 14' short wall, no problem.

11. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Carv,

You're one of the lucky ones. Ford bought back two '06 King Ranch's from the barn. Wouldn't pull a 3 horse with 12" quartes over 60mph no mater what! Ford flew in the Corporate people to withness the fact. Three lap tops plugged into the truck and driving down road, not one of them could figure it out.

ec90t

12. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I would say stay away from Fords period

been there and done that

regards from Iowa

Gene

13. carv

carv Member

Looks like I am lucky twice. 2003 F350 4X4 6.0 Crew Cab Duel Rear Wheel runs great never broken down. 2006 F250 4X4 6.0 Super Cab runs great never broke down. Also my daughter drives a 2005 F350 4X4 6.0 Crew Cab Duel Rear Wheel with only one problem which just happened. Out of state pulling the horse trailer at about 3am she lost a fuel injector, truck would not pull the trailer as a result. Called Ford roadside assistance and they sent a wrecker large enough to pull the truck and trailer to a local dealer, no charge. Dealer fixed the truck and they were back on the road by early afternoon, no charge. I have no problem with the 6.0 engine. We have owned Fords for a long time and I think its one of the best engines going. Power is unbelievable and fuel mileage is good for an 8,000lb vehicle. I get about 16.5 mpg with the dully mixed driving, 18.5 highway. The 250 gets a little better then 17.5 mixed and over 20 highway. I am HAPPY!

14. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I personally wouldnt buy anything with that kind of milage to tow more than a trash can or 2. I could never depend on someone elses issues with that kind of milage. Theres usually a good reason why someone gets rid of a "good dependable" high milage vehicle. Also good deals end up costing you, what the truck should have sold for with the problems fixed. No real history wouldnt bother.

15. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I'm with Gene, don't buy a Ford!! Buy A Chevy/GMC period. For heavy towing look into the GMC. Break-em all. Jeff

16. Chris

Chris TS Member

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/Pullit/DSC00020.jpg

Just bite the bullet!

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

You won't regret it!

Chris

17. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Sorry Chris,

An F150 just aint gonna get it. If you read the original post, he wants it to pull a Gooseneck horse trailer not a pop-up camper.

ec90t

18. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Look around for a one ton to do your pulling. Those are out there and you'll be able to find one that has some miles but will still last you for a long time at 600 miles a month. I just got myself a one ton dually 4x4 dodge and it pulls my 5th wheel camper that's 37 foot long pretty easily. Cummings power is hard to beat. Right now the price of diesel is a little less than gas also.:) Just don't get in a hurry to find one and look around. Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.