1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a Used Golf Cart

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rtclark21, Dec 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rtclark21

rtclark21 Member

Thinking about buying a used golf cart for the State shoot and the Grand. Seems to be a better alternative to get around and not sit in the truck while waiting for your squad to start.

Been shopping around for the past few months for a gas engine and wasn't sure what the best model is (EZ Go, Yamaha) and what maintenance issues are expected.

My price range is ~$2200 which seems to put me in the 2004 / 2005 category. For those that have carts, I'd appreciate your feedback and any tips you may have.

2. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

My first choice is EZ-go. More after market accessories. Had one for over 10 years without a problem. Club cars are built a little better. Aluminum frames.
    Friend had a 07 yamaha for sporting and engine crapped out after 2 years.

3. Ron Duvall

Ron Duvall TS Member

Try Craigs list for michigan and Ohio there are several nice carts in your price range. One guy sells custom carts for 3k they are very nice and he will set them up for trap shooting.

4. hschwartz

hschwartz TS Member

I just sold a 2005 EZGO Workhorse for $3000. The best advice I can give you is to find an EZGO dealer/service facility and have it serviced at least once a year. Usually that will include changing oil, filters and adjusting carb and lifters. Also make sure you have enough fluid in the rear end.

H Schwartz

5. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have two golf carts here on the farm. One is for my wife's mother, and the other we use to go get the paper, go to the barn, gardening etc. They are handy. Mine are Club Cars. They have been very dependable. One is a 2002, and the other is a 2004. Check the frames on older ones, because they are aluminum, and the battery acid can eat through them. There are 5 grease zerks to grease, water in the batteries, air in the tires and off you go. All carts come with their own chargers. My carts cost about $2200. Good Luck, and Merry Christmas. Charlie Henderson

6. rtclark21

rtclark21 Member

Thanks for your comments & suggestions. Buying a used cart is like buying a used car - seems like many of the carts came from golf courses, so I'm sure they were driven hard and put up wet.

I live in the Indy area and have been around Craigslist quite a bit - have also looked in surrounding states.

Appreciate any additional tips regarding makes, models, and maintenance.

7. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

Have a friend here in michigan that has one custom really nice. Let me know if interested and i can get pics and price.
    Chris

8. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

I have a "94 Club Car " purchased in 2004 for $2,200. In the years since, I've replaced the steering gear,(easy) repacked front wheel bearings,(easy) changed out the belts,(easy) new tires and I wouldn't take $2,200 now for it. It's been to the Nationals (Sporting Clays) three times, driven every year and I helped out at a range for two years. Talk about driven hard and put away wet, it has been.

What ever you buy take note: M&M Golf Cars, L.L.C.
    Sport & Industrial Vehicles
    Brian Miller Parts Warehouse Dave Turk
    Phone 1-800-581-7798 or 573-581-8188
    FAX 573-581-7267
    E-MAIL parts@mmgolfcars.com

Also check the compression. Hope this helps...........GOOD LUCK

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I got a 2009 EZ-GO gas cart that looks as new for 3700 last spring now its time to deck it out...still, I wish I would have held out and gotten a Kawasaki Mule 4x4

10. blue2961

blue2961 TS Member

I bought a used (02) electric cart for $1,200 in good shape. Put a $700 paint job and then 6 months later had to put new batteries ($650). Don't know which is worse, the cart or the boat, but love both my "toys".

11. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have a 2005 Club Car 48v electric all tricked out with custom wheels and custom paint. It has been clocked at 25 mph with my gps and the charge works a day or two. It really works nice at the shoots. I wouldn't let it go for less than $3000.

12. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

You will have less overall problems and longer life if you get a Electric Cart. Do a little homework!!! Break-em all. Jeff

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Pull & Mark, Why does the electric have longer life and less problems?

14. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

I've got $2500 all in on this one and I can use it during the winter too. Now I need to decide if I should sell it or drag it across the country when I move this spring.

3c8b62df.jpg?t=1293372049

IMG_20101116_171409-1.jpg?t=1293372407

15. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I have never seen a golf cart with a snow blade.

16. GROCERY GUY

GROCERY GUY Member

If you are ever around Upper Sandusky, Ohio try Kustom Karts by Roger Bowen.419-294-7913. He has a wide price range and will set it up anyway you like. He is also trustworthy. Glenn Allison.

17. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

I have a Yamaha, I use for sporting clays and around the farm. It has been
    great! Gary Owen

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have had two golf carts and wound't think of getting an electric one because the battery's will eat your money up big time ... The gas carts take very little maintainance to keep them trouble free ... Gas carts are easier to sell and have a higher resale value also ... We used to use them for tooling around the neighborhood being as we are not golfers ... Insureance was cheap and the plates were very reasonable ... The people who have the electric ones always seem to have them sitting with the chargers going to keep the batteries up, I have towed many electric carts back to their home because they ran out of juice or had bad batteries ... Talk about cheap on Gas, can't get much better than the Carts ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

I used to have a Kawasaki Mule. I used it mostly for bear hunting in Canada and hauling dirt and mulch through suburbia. I sold it (no more bears for me) and ended up with the gas cart above.

I let a little air out of the tires and throw a tube sand on the back. It clears snow with ease. Did my whole block in under an hour.

20. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Barry, around my neck of the woods the electic are more common, so I can get them cheaper. Next the electric motor will last forever/ without the need for any maintinence. With the newer gas and its problems you will begin to see all kinds of problems with the gas now. Gas filters/ water seperators, not to mention tune-ups and once to twice a year to shop for spark plugs, oil changes, wires, flush gas tank, the list goes on. Its easy to replace the batteries and cables every 3 years or so. You can gear the rear end to climb any reasonable inclines. You only have the computer and 2-3 relay boxes and thats it. If you want to upgrade down the road there are many homes that will buy them from you so you have a bigger selling market. They make less noise as well. To each there own I guess. Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.