1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a used BT99......a few questions!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tomr1, Oct 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomr1

tomr1 Member

An acquaintance at our local gun club let my fiancée borrow an 1992 BT-99 to see if would be something she would be interested in buying. The gun has an adjustable rib and comb. She shot the gun very well and loves the gun. However, the gun has been shot A LOT. It has been very well taken care of, but I’m just worried about purchasing the gun that has been used this much. Should I? Do these guns ever “wear out”? The lever is in the center or slight to the left of center. Is this something that can be replaced?

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

It can be fixed so it is all about cost of repair vs cost to buy

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

If it has an adjustable rib, then it's not your average BT99. It's probably a BT99 Plus or has had an adjustable rib added. There is a BT99AR(adjustable rib) but i don't believe it came out until well after 1992. I could be wrong about that though. They are great guns and for the most part, anything on them can be fixed short of blowing the thing up. Just say'n................

4. tomr1

tomr1 Member

Yes, it is a BT99 Plus and he's asking ~$1100.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Sounds reasonable for a Plus.

6. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Tell you what, I already have a new BT 99 Satin, and a BT 100 thumbhole and if you don't buy this "plus" model let me know because I will.

Rich

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Yes, a new locking block can be done, but you have to figure a $100-$150... if the gun is in very nice condition otherwise, consider it part of the price for acquiring a fully adjustable gun...

Jay

8. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

If she shoots it well and is comfortable for her buy it. Most woman seem to shoot better and are more comfortable with a higher rib. The fact she shoots this gun well suggests a higher rib works for her.

Surfer

9. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I just bought a 1979 BT that has been shot and shot and shot more!!! It had the stock cut wayyyyy down and a Graciol system put on it. This was the loosest gun I have ever come upon. I paid $650 for it and shot it a couple rounds and sent it with the gun guy at our club for New Lock Block and Springs. I will have it back next week all rebuilt and test fired ready for momma to shoot.

If the gun your sweetie is looking at is cosmectically nice, shoots well for her then go for it about another $100 will get the Locking Block and springs replaced which will take care of the left lever problem and then she will be good to go for probly another 20yrs. May want the fire pin replaced too while they are in there like another $10.

Have fun its a great thing when your other half shoots makes getting new toys sooooooo much easier!

Jerry Lewis

10. spenwall50

spenwall50 TS Member

Who does work on bt99s? I purchased a plus that is way loose. Will a new locking block and springs tighten the gun up? I am interested in having this done but need a bit more info on it (who does it; what it does). Thanks

11. dead on 4

Call Dean Harris at Skeet's Gun Shop. Dean is a pro tightening 99's.

Give him a call at 918/456-4749 and will answer all your questions and advise you how to proceed.

Surfer

12. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

Doug Braker has rebuilt both of my BT-99's. Couldn't be happier.

13. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I'd 2nd Doug Braker (GunDr)... had him update both my 90Ts and others also swear by his work...

Jay

14. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

If she likes it and shoots it well - and the price is ok - get it. If you blow it off and try to find her something more 'appropriate' you will have lost her for shooting.

15. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Just a reminder that you are looking at a 20 year old gun that needs work. How much or the extent of the needed gunsmithing work is something you don't know. I think you can buy a brand new BT-99 with an adjustable comb for less than $1,300.

16. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

But who wants a new one. I sure dont, older ones are much better.

17. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Trapshootin Hippie - please describe what is better about an old gun that needs a bunch of work - certainly including a locking lug. How many rounds have been fired without that needed repair? What else is wrong with the gun?

18. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Well Gary, I will put it this way. I had rather drive a 1957 Chevy that had been totally rebuilt than I had a brand new Impala.

If you can't understand what I'm saying, then just act like ya never read my statement.

GneJ

19. dead on 4

Just because the gun is loose, doesn't mean it takes a pile of money to bring it into spec. I shot a very loose 99 for twenty five years before I had it tightened up, it cost less than $200.00 to make it new again.

The main concern, does she shoot the gun well and is comfortable while doing so. I was told years ago by someone who had a heck of a lot more experience than me. If it fits you, is comfortable and shoots where look, buy that gun, I don't care what it costs, buy that gun. If you don't, you'll spend a good part of your life and a lot of money trying to find another. I didn't listen, I'm stiil looking.

Surfer

20. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I have a 1991 BT plus that I bought new and have shot thousands of rounds through it. It was well maintained and I have never had a problem with it. I now shoot a 1978 competition BT99 and have passed the plus on to my wife. She loves the gun and it still as tight as the day I bought it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.