1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a shot gun from someone on line

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by copper, Jul 8, 2013.

1. copper

copper Member

Well I went to buy a shot gun expensive for me off a web site and I get some red flags, one phone number is wrong , same listing of same gun I found on another site listed different address . So the guy sends me copy of drivers License and I go to site it says number not valid . OK at this point I say will do from FFL to FFL I will send them money order made out to you after they verify what gun is. He emails me says I can see you are not a serious buyer. I see lots of shot guns all of a sudden with sellers with no history . First suspected scam I have encountered . I did reverse look up had some info but not enough for me to send money order for thousands of dollars across country . Also did search on web on his email address as to if he had used any sites would have come up . I would put name but it could be someone else name and so can,t do that. He was Saint Petersburg FL I did call police dept there and give them heads up and the drivers lic number. They said they would not even look it up and say is legit or not. They Said lots of scams NO Kidding .

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I had one guy ask me to ship a gun that I had for sale gun to his club so he could try it out and then if he likes it he will buy it ... I told him to send me the money first and if I like he can keep the gun ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

You did good Copper. Nice investigative work. Bulge.

4. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

You have to check them out pretty good, it is easy for them to rip you off if you aren't careful, glad you did your home work, and saved yourself a lot of grief

5. copper

copper Member

If anyone know of a better way to check someone out I would love to know it, A lot of reverse look up sites seem are very limited . And some charge with no guaranty of how much info they can provide . The police would not check on his License number at all not even to say its legit or its not . Well web site has gotten involved for deal not going through and at this point are siding with me and exchanging email with him to get legal info that can be checked on. We will see how this pans out.

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Copper

List your needs here, and buy from a trusted seller on TSDOTCOM!

7. APrice

APrice Active Member

Funny how the same people always seem to have a problem with every transaction. Known in the retail trade as "the customer from hell."

8. copper

copper Member

I have never got burnt on a gun except for one dealer rating a gun 98% and it being 75% , A car or two maybe I have owned lots. APRICE you claim to go to church every Sunday and help sick people and Yet you follow people and run your mouth every chance you get. You have a real problem . The two web sites that the Scammer had this gun on I contacted they shut him down so was a good thing kept him from cheating someone else .His accounts disabled he had a positive feed back witch was bogus the Auction sites it checked out after I alerted them . So APRICE if I see some thing on here that looks like a Scam I should not comment because it bothers you.
    You being a good Christian and all that, maybe you do not wanting me pointing out a scam or maybe I should check with you first don't want to hurt one of your friends. I will give you this you love yourself your neighbor not so much .

9. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Here is a link to FFLEZcheck. At least if you get a copy of an FFL you can check to see if it is legit.

10. copper

copper Member

YES I have used that FFL link for years thanks ,he was not and FFL and I don't usually request from one if the person can verify its all legit or has history I can double check , I had said that I wanted him to ship from one when it started to look fishy. Then I had did a web search for same model and came across same picture and listing on different site. But address was across country . I alerted both sites and they did more checks ,AND BRANDED A SCAM . I never sent money

11. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Keep asking questions about the gun, if you get shady answers or terminology not used by a shooter, its probably a scam. Get his name address and phone number then call him the next day to see who answers.

Have him take some specific photos of the gun and send them to you. If he can't, then its probably a scam. Ask him who he bought it from and if he's had any work on it and call that guy to check up on it.

i have bought and sold a bunch of guns via the internet and if you have any knowledge about guns and their value you should be able to sniff him out. Where did you see the gun. If its TS, we are ALL hound dogs here if you get scammed!!!! Most gun sites are good to go too as long as you keep the transaction through them. If he asks you to leave the site and finish the deal via the phone or private e-mail, leave immediately!!!

Google Earth his address, you always get a great idea of what the guy's house looks like then when you talk to him ask him if he's in the city or country and how far he has to travel to his gun club. If its an apartment, you will see the appt building.

last thing is, tell the guy you want to trade driver's licence photos.

If he can't do enough of that to satisfy you giving him a couple thousand green backs, then F him. There are millions of guns out there to be bought. If it were a 20 dollar barrel hanger its not a big deal. If you are sending some real cash, he should understand your request. Be honest with him, he should agree.

Use PayPal and send him the money that way. They will hold the money in escrow until the merchandise arrives and is inspected and you approve the release of the funds.

12. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I just got a response from my WTB ad today. Guy says he has a 30" K80 barrel w/ 10-6 rib and both fixed skeet/skeet AND factory threaded screw chokes (on the same barrel). I was pretty sure it was a scam, but figured there was an outside possibility the guy just didn't have a good handle on what he had. I asked for pics, and he sends me pics of an unsingle barrel. I deleted all of his messages.

13. copper

copper Member

He had sent me copy of drivers lic I checked its said not valid , I thought why send a copy of a Lic you know will come up not valid ,he even sent me site link to check it on . I had done a email check and reverse phone number check came back no name and approx. era . It was a great deal and it was thousands of dollars. So I was honest , I told him right away that I had found his add on another site maybe someone jacked his add, he thanked me . And I had asked him for job or club or apartment manager to verify him and said after all that I wanted FFL to FFL I would pay both ends . Well I wanted the deal to work But I am sure at end was scam . Lots of gun not first or last good deal .

14. mich746

mich746 Member

BucPride: I buy little stuff with pay-pal all the time. How do you arrange for them to hold money in escrow, I think that's a great solution, even if there is a reasonable fee.

I have an on going situation now, I will post all the ugly details at the proper time. Mich

15. copper

copper Member

Last thing this guy sent me a copy of his drivers license and a personal ID number with Photos on both one of the other guns I did a search and found on gun brokers for sale also . So heads up be very careful

16. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

PayPal does is automatically especially for high priced items. you can google it and they explain it.

I never used it for buying a gun but I have bought ammo and PayPal didn't seem to do anything adverse because it was gun related.