1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a rifle &&&&&&&&&&&&

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JRW, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRW

JRW Member

Going to purchase a rifle. It will be a 7mm08. Rifle will be either Savage #10 or a M77 Ruger Hawkeye. What are your opinions? Thanks Jerry

2. grl

grl Member

I have four savage's, great barrels. I like plastic stocks for hunting, they are lighter and I don't worry about dinging them. Had one Ruger, it was OK, buy I didn't like the way the action felt. You need to compare for yourself

3. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

I am a long range rifle shooter along with trap shooting.

IF it was me I would go with the Savage over the Ruger. The nice thing about a Savage is they are shooters right out of the box. The other thing is nice about a Savage is you can change the barrel out yourself with the right tool. So if down the road you would like to go to a 25/06 or maybe change it a 22-250 you can with out going to a gun smith like you would if you went with a Ruger. Now don't get me wrong I like Ruger's and I own two of them but I like the Savage rifles the best do to you can change the barrels out your self.

A good rule is in buying a rifle and making it a good one is the scope you put on it. It should be as much as the rifle or more to really make it a shooter.

All of my long range rifles I own all have scopes in the range of a $1000 bucks and up. Year 2008 I was given the VHA longest shot of the year award... that shot was taken with a Barrett sinper 50BMG with a Night Force 12x42x56mm scope, the yards shot was 2,322 yds.

Good luck with your rifle!

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Run do not walk away from the Ruger. They are just not consistant anymore. One shoots 1/2 inch groups and the next shoots shotgun patterns. Too much time wasted trying to make them shoot. I am also a long range rifle shooter and you do not see anybody shooting Rugers for a reason. Jeff

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Friends don't let friends shoot Rugers.

I have an old tang safety one that is great. New ones are dog poo.

HM

6. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

I have shot NRA HighPower for over 40 years - so, while I was bitten by the trap bug about 15 years ago and put my rifles aside - I still know a little about them and still keep up……….Rick in Ohio, SuperXJeff and halfmile have all given you very good advice. The old Rugers are better than new ones (IMO) – out of the box…..I don’t know of any gun you can buy (out of the factory box) that will shoot with/or better than the modern Savage rifle. It takes lots of $$$ to build a target rifle or custom job that will shoot better than the out-of-the-box Savage varmint and long range guns…….So between Savage and Ruger – there is absolutely only one choice- Savage. Rick in Ohio is right on about the scope…….I have seen some individual rifles get a black eye for accuracy and precision when in fact it was a bad scope or sorry mounts…..Get a good scope and strong mounts like Warne etc and you will not be sorry……a rifle system is no better than the weakest link (nut on the trigger, ammo, scope, scope mounts etc)

7. jhoward

jhoward Member

I believe there is a nice Howa in 7mm-08 for sale on this forum you might want to take a look at.

http://www.trapshooters.com/noframes/cfpages/thread.cfm?threadid=265774

8. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Halfmile is half correct,

Don't buy NEW, look for a trade in, older tang safety Ruger, Remington model 700 or 788.

New stuff is OK but older guns are of better quality. Some people just have to have the new thing, and in the process get rid of a better piece!

I've only had one Ruger out of about a dozen that I couldn't get one ragged hole for groups at 100yds(my reloads) I even had a Mannlicher model in 243 that would do one hole groups

9. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

I have a Remington Mod 7 CDL nice wood New redfield 3x9 scope new two or three years ago Unfired still has the dealer tag on it,No Box or book. I would part with it.

10. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

I hunted for years in AZ and WY with a Rem 700 BDL in 7-08 and fiberglass stock, it shot great. I also shoot match with a 7-08 on a Howa action. Joe

11. JRW

JRW Member

Thank you for the replies. Merry Christmas to everyone. Jerry

12. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Rick in Ohio

1.32 mile shot? What did you hit, how big a bullseye was it, or was it a 4x8 sheet of plywood, just curious.

Dat ain't bad atall.

13. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

win1911s1

Can I ask what your planning to do with this rifle?

14. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Both good the Savage will probably shoot a bit more accurate but for hunting both will have sufficient accuracy.

15. JRW

JRW Member

Rick in Ohio; It is going into a Myrtlewood blank I bought from Mike Mann. It will be used to punch holes in paper. Jerry

16. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

If your just going to punch paper with it do buy a good scope and mount for it.

Remember the rifle is only as good as the glass you put on it.

Good luck with it!

17. plabels466

plabels466 Member

Ruger quality control has gone down the pits ever since Mr. William Ruger passed away.....The last 2 Rugers I purchesed I had to send back.....One was repaired, but the trigger was terrible & should never been sent back to me in that condition.......The other was destroyed, yes destroyed.....They did send me a replacement & I had to go through another background check.....Yes they did pay shipping both ways......I bought a Savage three months ago after having never owned one brfore.....One of the best factory rifles ever built.....Pete LaBella

18. JRW

JRW Member

Went off path today and bought a Tikka T3 lite, in 7mm08. It has a glass stock so no worrying about replacing nice wood. Jerry

19. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

That Tika is a great rifle!

Oscar

20. hounddog41@charter.net

hounddog41@charter.net Member

I bought a ruger hawkeye a couple of years ago in a 257 roberts. Sighted it in 3" high at a hundred shot a little buck at about 165 yards right where I aimed, right behind the shoulder. On paper it doesnt do too bad. I have about three 700's in 6mm and 2506 and I cannot see much difference on paper at 100 yards. I shoot the 120 grain spear grand slam bullet. Shoot that in most of my rifles. Really an excellent bullet for hunting. I dont own a 7mm08 and have never shot one but I sure think alot of the 2506 cartridge.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.