1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

buying a pistol out of state?!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tcr1146, Apr 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Not interested in the internet judges/lawyers! If I want to buy a pistol from a friend from another state and it is not registered to him, why would I go through a ffl and register it to me?! Thanks, Tom Rhoads

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

"why would I go through a ffl and register it to me?!" Because its federal law. It is wholly illegal for anyone to transfer ANY firearm (handgun or long gun) to a non-licensed individual in another state, for whatever reason, whether they are your friend or not. Doing it any other way greatly increases the likelihood of an extended stay at the grey bar motel...

And depending on the laws of w/e state you are in, you may need a valid pistol permit to possess the gun as well.

3. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Tom:

I'm a regular old lawyer, not the internet variety. You can't legally buy a handgun from a resident of another state. Sure, if he's your buddy, likely no problem, but, if something goes south you could lose the right to own firearms of any type, and so could he.

What could go wrong? Well, if you use the gun for self defense, or get stopped by an officer who thinks you are wrongfully in possession or ..., and someone does a trace.

Someone will probably be along shortly to post the applicable Federal statutes, and I "think" they have been posted here not too awfully long ago.

I would not take the chance myself, but you have to make the decision.

I don't know if your state "registers" handguns, but in Florida and many others, all that happens is you fill out the 4473, pass the background check, pay a transfer fee, and the form stays with the FFL till he goes out of business.

Bob

4. tcr1146

Thanks Bob! So, in 1988 I bought a redhawk and did no transfer etc! Are you telling me I am in some kind of violation?! Thanks, Tom Rhoads

5. revbook

revbook Member

Probably.....and now everyone knows about it! Don

6. tcr1146

Rev! You know that was just hypothetical right?! Tom Rhoads

7. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I just did this very thing over the weekend with a Blackhawk .45. Sure hope you guys can keep a secret.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.