1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying A Perazzi - Which One?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 3200, Apr 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3200

3200 TS Member

For the longest time I have owned and shot a 3200 Special Trap. The gun has served me well. It was inherited and I will not part with it. Wanting to get back into shooting sporting clays, I recently bought a used 682 Super Sport, 30" with an extra set of 20ga bbls. In the short time that I have had it, it has become 'adopted' by my teenage son, and now I am (have been) looking at a Perazzi.

Locally I found an MX8 that I have asked questions about in general in other threads. Today, while out shooting with my son I saw 2 ads at the gun club (first time I've at this particular club) - one for a 30" Comp 1, and the other a 30" MX5C. Both ads were accompanied by photos, description and prices. Here's my quandry:

Local MX-8, Type 4 forearm. 30" ported bbls with 2 (only) unidentified thin wall chokes. No mods to stock. ~$4K

Gun club ad Comp 1. 30" un-ported with 7 Briley thin wall chokes, adjustable comb and Gra-coil. No Type 4 mods indicated. ~$2900

Gun club MX5C. 30" un-ported w/factory chokes. Adjustable comb and after-market pad at 14 3/4. ~$3000

I know that shooting each if possible is something that should be done and I'll make calls tomorrow to arrange it. In the mean time I'm looking for comments on which gun appear to be a better choice. I am concerned about the 'unidentifiable" chokes in the MX-8 and I don't fancy Gra-coils and I know little about the MX5C.

2. Fireball

Fireball Member

Stay with the 3200 if you can shoot it.

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Wait 'til you find a good one. None in that group looks very promising, though the Comp 1 is a candidate if it shoots straight, and you know it does because you tested it off a rest at 13 yards with many shots. Buying anything with aftermarket chokes without testing is a real risk.

The 8 is a dog.

The other? I've never seen one.

Neil

4. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

You did not say if you shoot NSCA, or competition , or just play around. If you just shoot small shoots, the 30 " barrel will work. If you plan to shoot competitive NSCA, I would want 32" barrels. Also, I don't know your capabilities in handleing a gun so it's hard to say. For longer NSCA targets I would get 32" barrels. Also, due to resale,32" barrels are the way to go. 30" bores are old stuff.

I would forget all 3. The Mx 8 has some questionable problems ( chokes) and I would not buy a $4,000 MX-8 unless I knew it's owner. The Comp 1 and MX 5 are outdated models with good designs, but not my pick due to balance and future maintenance/upgrade capability. The MX-8 and 2000 are the current, dependable designs that have proven their worth, but we don't know enough about the MX-8 your looking at to spend that kind of dough.

Consider a Ceasar Guerini? or wait for a better, dependable MX-8 which are in high demand.

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I'd pass on all of them. I'd also recommend you broaden your search to include Krieghoff K-32s or even K-80s. They are going to handle a lot closer to your 3200TS than a Perazzi will.

I'll also add that if I were starting over, I'd buy a Perazzi International trap O/U and shoot it for everything.

6. 3200

3200 TS Member

Thanks for the input - keep it coming.

I shoot the 3200 fairly well but am looking for something that is a bit lighter, swings a little faster and choked a more appropriately. That was the reason that I purchased the 682 Super Sport. I like that gun, but since my son has adopted it, I have a chance to do better.
    BTW, my sporting clays shooting is merely for fun and to stay tuned for upland and waterfowl hunting. I did the competitive shooting thing with the NSSA several years ago. Shooting 4 nights a week and on weekends was not good for the home life - or wallet.

7. Baber

Baber TS Member

A couple of comments:

1. I tend to stay away from guns that have aftermarket choke tube installations. I have see too may that have been installed incorrectly. I call them Briley "SCREW UPS" because you screwed up when you sent the gun to them.

2. The Comp 1 you mention might be a Type 2 gun which is a whole different can of worms.

3. The comment about buying a flat ribbed bunker gun and shoot everything is a valid comment.

4. Keep looking...

TB

8. 3200

3200 TS Member

Which of Perazzi's past or present guns would you consider a 'flat ribbed bunker', or 'international trap' gun?

9. Baber

Baber TS Member

A difficult question to ansewer as almost any model can (or could) be had with any type barrel. Typically you find the Mirage had the flattest barrel or some of the specality guns like MX1, or MX2... european MX4 etc.

TB

10. lumper

lumper TS Member

Get the most expensive one you cannot afford ... save ... scrimp ... steal the kids college funds ... steal from your retirement funds ... but get the most expensive one you cannot afford.

I forget who said it on TS.com but there is a thing called pride in ownership and the more pride you have in your ownership the better the gun will shoot!

11. MX/MT

MX/MT TS Member

lump,

The word is confidence.

I know you're being sarcastic, but I do know a guy that bought more gun than he could really afford. He felt so guilty that he couldn't enjoy shooting it and finally had to sell it to ease his conscience.

Just because you can't afford it doesn't mean everyone has to raid the cookie jar to buy one - whatever it is.

Lots of guys out there that can easily afford 2 of anything they make.

12. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

If you liked shooting the 682 Berreta, why not buy another one of them? The new Gold E's swing fast enought due to light barrels {< 1.5kg. in 32"} & a new one may be less than the other guns you are looking at. John

13. 3200

3200 TS Member

As I mentioned earlier, I like the 682 Super Sport, but I'm looking to do better. Not fond of the Gold E checkering, but that's a mute point - wood can be upgraded/changed out.

I am curious about the Blaser F-3, but there doesn't seem to be much history on them and I have yet to find a dealer locally that handles them.

14. Baber

Baber TS Member

Shootlow...

Seen a number that were not concentric with the bore. Also a couple of blow outs... pealed chokes. Generally I against aftermarket choke tube conversions. Joe Morales of Rhino gave me the best explination. Some of the early Perazzi and Baretta had hand honed choked that were not necessarly concentric with the bore. Trying to Screw Choke them often alters impact and leaves thin metal that can cause a blow out. Often you are better off to buy a new barrel that has been choked at the factory.

TB

15. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

...and I've seen exactly that with older Perazzis, TB. In fact, I have one.

Neil

16. lakecrisco

lakecrisco TS Member

I have a 26XXX serial number range K-80 Sporting with 32" barrels that I am thinking of selling. The action could be re-nickled, but the gun is solid and has some really nice wood. Barrels are ported. Non-factory hard case. Two Comp-n-Choke tubes in mod. (all I shoot) and one factory krieghoff choke in IC.

I am thinking around $5500 for the gun. A re-nickle job is around $200 from Ernest Marlette. If that is something that you would like to do.

I don't know what price range that you would like to be in.

17. 3200

3200 TS Member

"MX-5 is a '85's version of the entry level gun, with non-detachable, selective, coil spring trigger to compete with Beretta 680s."

Any glaring reasons to stay away from the MX-5C? Going to take a look at, and shoot, the one I saw advertised in the local gun club tomorrow evening. Granted, it's not a MX-8 or MX2000, but it does have Perazzi's name on it

18. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have a early 80's version of the MX-3 which also has the round monobloc like the MX-5C. I really like my gun bought used of course but I don't see anything wrong with an MX-5 and you won't have any broken leaf springs to replace. I have a coil spring in my TMX and it is not a problem.

19. 3200

3200 TS Member

MX8 - you have been VERY helpful. Many thanks !! And IIRC, Karl Lippard says the same thing in his book.

20. nutty1

nutty1 TS Member

make it easy on yourself and call steve @indiana gun club or doug gray @shotguncache i've dealt with both of these guys and they are very knowledgeable and will both spend plenty of time on the phone with any questions that you have they both have my recomendations and everything i've purchased has been been a lot better than advertised neither one will steer you wrong steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

perazzi mx5c