1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a pallet of shot direct?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dbl Auto, Mar 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

A few buddies and I have been pondering buying a pallet of shot. We have been having trouble getting it as of late. Can we order it direct from a supplier like West Coast or Remington or do you have to have an FFL? I heard that 80 bags is the normal pallet load and was curious if it would save us some cash. Any help would be appreciated.
    Doug

2. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Im sure the manufactory wouldn't sell to indiviuals for only a pallet load in the past I have bought that much by myself plus an extra couple of ton's that my friends bought and we had to go thru a distribitor but this was in the old days but still doubt if they would sell just a pallet to an indivuial even nowdays but maybe they will.

Foggy

3. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

What state are you located in?

4. 100straight

100straight Member

I'm looking for a supplier of Remington STS shot within 200 miles of central Illinois. If you guys are close, I would be interested in at least 20 bags, maybe more depending on price.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

5. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

Guys I'm in NW Ohio and can buy shot at Sportsmen's Den in Shelby, Ohio for $21.99 but they have been out for a couple of weeks. Then they got some and it sold in a couple of days before I could get there. They are also having a sale on April 17,18,19 for shot at $20.99. These prices do have a 5 bag limit which is the only problem. I was afraid with shipping that it would not be a great savings. Thanks for the posts!
    Doug

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

There are a couple of guys here selling reclaimed shot cheap, ($15.00) a bag for 3000lbs. plus shipping.

7. 100straight

100straight Member

8. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I purchased some reclaimed shot through a friend of a friend. I can only use in 12 ga reloading ( I load all four gauges ) as the shot is far from "round" and clumps in the shot tube of my Mec Grabber. It had, I believe, some graphite added to it to supposedly make it "slicker." Didn't have the desired affect, in my opionion as the shot doesn't flow well through the shot tube. Several of my friends got some of the same stuff- have since sold at a loss just to get rid of the stuff and recapture some of their investment to put toward purchase of non-reclaimed shot.

I'm not certain the the cost savings is worth the aggravation. I certainly wouldn't use any of it to shoot registered targets or any time there is money on line to be won.

At best it's good for practice rounds only. It will break skeet targets but I have not tried it from anything but 16 yards targets on the trap range. Nor I have patterned any loads. It would be my guess that the individual pellets, being far less that round or even spherical and of varied shot sizes, would not pattern well and there would be some significant holes in the pattern.

This may be an isolated scenario and other reclaimed shot might be of better quality - but I am skeptical since I presume all of this is "mined" in the same fashion. That is, just scoop up everything and then process through some type of screening process to end up with the "finished" product.

Hope others have had better success. I wouldn't order more than a bag or two before you have a chance to check out the quality.

9. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I hate to burst your "buying in bulk" bubble, but, no shot mfgr. is even interested in handling their shot in less than truckload quantities. This usually entails a minimum shipment of 40 tons. It takes more work for them to seperate 1 or 2 pallets for the "do it yourselfer" that wants to save a few bucks. It's not worth your time, nor theirs. The mfgr can sell all the shot they make at the price they want to get, and almost all of them are very protective of their distributerships. If you are only going to buy a ton of shot at a time, you aren't going to save $20.00 on the whole 80 bags. That comes out to a savings of .25 per bag. Your gas, time, and energy is worth more than that. Buy the shot where you can get the best price on it for now, and relax. Shot is going to come down, and to buy a ton or so of shot at $20/21 per bag now is going to be a big disappointment this summer when shot is back down to the $17/18 range.... Just my opinion.....Dan Thome (Trap2)

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

100 straight: Do a search. One in Texas and one in Kansas, as I recall.

11. tallpaul

tallpaul Member

Why don't you try CAC out of Pennsylvania?

http://www.cacassociatesinc.com/index.html

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Reclaim shot is NOT all the same/\!

Some look almost as good as new shot, except for the variation in size, and others are only fit to melt down and run through your shot maker.

It all depends on who and how it is processed.

13. 100straight

100straight Member

I used to be in the trucking business, and a standard semi load is 48,000 pounds (24 tons). They might be squeezing 50,000 pounds in nowadays with lighter trucks, but the entire truck and cargo has to be no more than 80,000, and in reality about 78,500 is about as close as you can get due to axle limits. However, that is still way more shot than I want to buy.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

14. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Have you tried the lead Trading Post??

It was created by the Jolly Trapshooter from this site to put us in touch with one another relative to where we live and if we are looking to sell/buy/trade lead.

I have great access to wheel weights and found someone who makes shot - easy trade. I give him wheel weights and get a percentage back as shot - it works for us all...

15. ks5shooter

ks5shooter Member

A quote from Lawrence brang mfg was 26 dollars a bag for 46 thousand lb truckload plus tax .Volume means nothing anymore......Don

16. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Our club received a flier from West Coast 22. a bag for 80 bags . Calif tax free delivery. Found out today you have to buy three tons for this price.

17. neckdeep

neckdeep Member

i don't know about the lead going down, looks like its up in the last three weeks

18. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Amboy, I don't know which shot you refer to and this is just an outside chance for you to try, but if they added too much graphite it can easily create an issue, rather than cure it.

You might take 5 pounds or so and roll it around on an old rag, see if removing some of the graphite helps any. I was once in the same situation, and was bridging off, I got real smart and added more graphite and just made it worse. Finally went the other direction and stopped it.

The only other way to stop it if the shot is really bad, is to build a two stage baffle in the tube, just two angles to slow the shot drop down. You can even load .410 with it then.

19. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Most shot manufacturers will not sell in less than 48,000 pound truckloads. See 100straight's post above for details. They will not hack off their distributors just to sell you a pallet. Your distributors may sell you a pallet, but manfacturers unually will not. IMHO Omaha

20. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

MDJ67.... I am, by no means, an expert on shot or lead prices. I do believe, however, as I said in my post, that shot will probably be in the 17.00 to 18.00 range by THIS SUMMER, not right now. As I write this, I can buy shot for $20.00 per bag, by the ton, if I go pick it up. I have been told by the maker of this shot that prices will more than likely go down soon. I totally understand your want to put together a quantity buy, I'm only saying that, for the most part, unless you are willing to buy a truckload of shot, you will not really be able to save enough money to make it worth your while to do it. I did not mean to insult your intelligence, or attack your methods, and if I did so, please forgive me. I was only trying to save you a lot of trial and error as I have been there, and done that. Good luck in your search... Dan Thome (Trap2)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bulk lead shot for sale

bulk lead shot for sale in texas
full pallets of lead shot
lawrence shot pallet price

one pallet of recycled lead shot

pallet of lead shot for sale

where can i buy a whole pallet os lead shot