1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying A New Truck Question?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by WoodsonEnt, Dec 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

*Forum Police - This is/was posted in the off topic section*

When buying a new vehicle - what is the normal percentage you should get off sticker price? I am looking at a new truck, and I am curious to see what you guys start an offer at.

2. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Lot of variables.... make/model, cash, trade, financed, 2012 or 2013, I think there are a number of internet sites that will show you dealer costs and markups.

3. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Little difference from buying any vehicle. How long do you want to sit there and negotiate ? Longer generally equals more savings for you. If they won't give you your price, walk out. Find another dealer. Remember the word "deal" is part of dealer.

Before you walk in the door, do your homework on line. Know what your trade is worth and how much you are willing to pay or finance to get the vehicle you want.

Personally, I'd buy a lightly used vehicle.

Gene in Illinois

4. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

GM employee discount is a big deal up here. It amounts to about 18-20 percent. But I sometimes wonder if they don't get some back in all of the other paperwork and figures. If you buy gm ask about the program where the execs drive them and put 10 to 20k and then the dealership sells them. My last truck was one of these and I got a great price on a barely used vehicle.Bill

5. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Certified used is the way to go.

6. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Eyes Wide Open!

You are going to be swimming with sharks....one of my shooting friends is a car salesman....you won't believe the tricks these guys play on people.....I would pay the money and do the CONSUMER REPORTS CAR BUYING spreadsheet....there are others....but, CU is less biased (gets no advertising dollars from car manufacturers).....

Depending on the vehicle....at least 23% off MSRP...(it depends on the dealer payback and time of year!)

7. gusto777

gusto777 Member

Bangalore has it right. Hands down the best tool you can have when buying a new or used car or truck is the Consumer Pricing Service from Consumer Reports. Cost is $14.00 for a new vehicle and you don't have to subscribe to Consumer Reports. It will give you a wealth of information. It will show you how much the dealer pays for the car as well as what they pay for options and a host of other valuable information. It also shows you any rebates avaiable as well as other hidden dealer incentives. The last new car I bought was for my wife and it was a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Edition. Sticker price was just over $44,000. The Consumer Pricing Service Report indicated I shouldn't pay over $35,500. I explained to the salesman that I had done a Consumer Pricing Service Report on the vehicle. I offered $35,000 out the door plus sales tax. Done deal. Also NEVER pay for things like Prep Charges and DOC fees I would never buy a new or used car with using this service. It's the best $14.00 you'll ever spend.

Gus in Las Vegas

8. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

Good rule of thumb. get your pricing online as noted above. Shop around the middle of the month and line up your best local deals. Call the salesmen the last 3 days of the month and press for a better deal. Many manufacturers give dealers a volume based discount. If they hit it they get back hundreds per car sold retroactive back to the beginning of the month. Those who bought at the beginning of the month don't get the additional discount. If they are a few cars away from hitting the number they will discount a few vehicles BIGTIME
    at the end of the month to get the payout.

also, watch the tv ads. when there are regional/national advertising going on for "trucks" like "truck month" there are usually special additional discounts to the dealer and/or consumer rebates during that month that will be in addition
    to the consumer baseline pricing info. During those promotions there may be free equipment deals from the manufacturer like a "free upgrade to HEMI" deal that Ram runs once a year. They are an additional good deal if you wanted and were going to pay for the free equiptment anyway.

9. shadow

shadow Active Member

The markup on the "options" run about 50%. The more they load on it the more wiggle room you have.

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

A car salesman has to be pretty good at separating you from your money if they are going to make a living selling vehicles. As a buyer you have the trump card which is the word no. As difficult as it may be act like you don't really give a hoot about what ever vehicle you picked to haggle over. Start with an offer that is $500 over the invoice cost (make them show you that) Don't make the deal on the first day but give the impression you are shopping around. In this economy you should be able to strike a pretty good bargain but the sharks will make you earn it.

Good luck and for what its worth, I don't care where you post - if I didn't want to hear from you I wouldn't open the thread.

11. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

I had my lesson in 1982. That was the last year I bought a new car.

DO NOT listen to those who try to convince you that to buy used is buying someone else’s junk.

Many warranties go to 50,000 miles or more and can be easily transferred.

A lightly used truck or car is the best value!

With the complexities of vehicles today they either work or they do not it is very difficult to hide a major problem.

GS

12. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

I read a report that stated that the best days to buy this month will be December 24, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31.

It is the end of year for dealers and they are getting incentives to move autos before the end of the year. (Some up to 1500 or more).

Plus they need to move them out to save on Jan. flooring charges.

Just what the report stated.

Dodge is coming with a diesel with 800+ lb ft of torque for 2013.

Phil

13. KS-OKIE

KS-OKIE TS Supporters TS Supporters

Depending on where you live,why would anyone buy a new or used vehicle from a dealer in the last week of the year and have to pay a full year of personal property tax on it ? The county were I live would bill you for the whole year not a pro-rated ammount of time.They truely are thieves...KS-OKIE.

14. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

There is a wealth of information available on the internet so there's no reason for somebody to shop for a new vehicle unarmed. There are even free buying services out there, some you can access through banks, credit unions, Sams etc. They can make the process very easy but won't guarantee you the best price possible. You will get a good price though.

Most of the buying services only operate in big cities so is you live in the hinterlands they won't be a lot of help unless you want to buy from a dealer a long way from home. The best thing to do, IMHO, is to avoid the floor salesmen like the plague. Call the dealership and ask to talk to the fleet sales department and only deal with them. They will simply give you the price for the vehicle with no BS and you can either take it or leave it. No haggling, no BS, no tricks, just a simple transaction. I've done that with both of my new vehicle purchases and it was completely painless. Got the price I was hoping for after doing my research.

Buying used, now that's a whole different ball game, one I try to avoid. Maybe there's a way to do it without being subjected to the dreaded used car salesman, but I don't know how. Personally, I'd rather buy new and keep the vehicle for a long time than buy used. To each their own.

15. surfcitydude

surfcitydude Member

If you are buying a Ford F150 Ecoboost, I can help. If you are buying any of the other trucks, you might as well buy used. The other makers haven't had anything new in several years. Same old V8 technology, same styling. Contact me with a pm if you want some great prices in your area.

16. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I used to see lots of tricks used by salesmen to sell new cars.

One was where they "double team" you with two salesmen, and keep you in the middle while blasting you with questions.

Another was to ask you to wait a moment so they can check with their manager on the price, while all along, they know what they can sell it for.

And others would say they had someone looking at that one, but they may be able to get them into another car if you're interested, then change the asking price on you.

Again, just pullin' your chain.

I actually wanted to but 2 new 3500 series Chevy cab and chassis once, and the local dealer located two exactly alike, and gave me a "out the door" price.

When I went in to sign the papers, I asked to make sure both were exactly alike, and found out they were not. They were not even close to the same vehicle, and the price had changed, also.

Can you believe they were mad at me when I left the dealership, and then called the local Mayor,(my boss) and lied to him about the situation.

I guess everyone needs a job, huh!

17. Urbans

Urbans Member

If you are interested in a new Dodge truck I can give you 1 of my employee discounts, call me if you like @ 573 484 3859. Ed Freise

18. oz

oz Active Member

make the deal online.

19. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

Ram just won Motor trend truck of the year. If you take URBAN's offer you can save thousands and not not have to " haggle"

20. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

How are those eco boost Fords working out? 3.5 liters (215 cubic inches) at 365 rated horsepower for truck service sounds techy and hard on an engine, any engine. Pricey too...for that kind of money, consider a GM or Dodge/Ram diesel 3/4 ton without too many options. Avoid Ford 6.0 and 6.4 diesels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.