1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

buying a laporte trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by il shooter, Sep 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. il shooter

il shooter Member

Thinking of buy a laporte trap for our club .any pros or cons thanks

2. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

Run the other way

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

.......as fast as you can!

4. Bird Grinder

Bird Grinder Member

BUY A PAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Neal Crausbay

Neal Crausbay Member

Not sure if Laporte still offers an automatic doubles machine but their standard trap machine is a great one. Laporte's target feed system from the magazine to the throwing arm is head and shoulders above anyone else's. No rubber grommets to wear or get hard and slip on the targets.

6. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

Don't...........

7. RFGA2

RFGA2 Member

Don't

8. Baber

Baber TS Member

I call them lecraps.... There are better trap machines on the market and a few worse but not many.

T

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I'm willing to listen to a sales presentation from Neal Crausbay. My experience with LaPorte is quite old and probably obsolete. My experience was with the old Twin Lap and the one with a throwing arm copied from the old Winchester 1524x. Both were impossible to set good doubles on.

10. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Well, the doubles targets were usually interesting.
    rlc323_2008_030328.jpg

11. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rcl, What do you mean?

12. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

If not these then what about some other breands that the club doesn't have to take out a mortgae on? There are plenty of other models ou there that no one talks about. What about that Italian job that Briley sells? Anyone use them? Comments?

13. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

Just don't buy a Hunter's Point. They bring new meaning to the word "junk!"

14. Salt

Salt Member

I use one at our range. We have a small club with only one trap (sporting clays range is the king here, they get whatever they want but they do bring in many shooters from surrounding states, us trap shooters are the bottom of the barrel). The key to the Laporte trap is knowing how to adjust and maintain the machine. I took it to Laporte America in Pounding Mill, Va. and rebuilt it under the watchful eye of Darrel McGlothlin. He is the big cheese there and was more than helpful teaching me how to adjust and maintain the trap, he is also only a phone call away if I need something. We never had a manual on the machine well, maybe we did but when I took over the range I had to start from scratch with the trap that I knew nothing about. Since the rebuild and regular pm on the trap, it throws great targets. Like I said, small club (trap side), no registered targets. We shoot practice on thursday nights and then shoot games on friday night. For singles and caps the machine is fine, would like to have a machine that I could switch to doubles (more games, more shooters. Maybe somewhere down the road I can get the club to purchase one but I'm not holding my breath. Good luck with whatever trap you get.

Larry Santine

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Pat Trap is the gold standard. LaPorte may be adequate but why?

How much is the price difference, anyway? The sweetness of low price fades but the bitterness of poor quality lasts forever.

We have 6 LP skeet machines. They seem to be all right but I would rather have all Pats which are our trap machines. When we got the LP's Pat didn't have their skeet model.

I wouldn't quibble if the prices are anywhere near each other, like within 20 per cent.

HM

16. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

Contact Vince Valois, he is on this site. Extremely knowledgable about Pat machine, our small club has purchased 3 Pat's from him. He rebuilds them completely and we have not had a minutes problem from any of them. You can buy a rebuilt Pat from Vince that will out live a new LaPorte for less money and have very little problem with that machine. My 2 cents, Larry Lockhart

17. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

The twin lap LP's doubles targets come out at different times. Saw it on a Kiner tape in a shooting clinic. Not really a deal breaker, just unusual.

18. Neal Crausbay

Neal Crausbay Member

Barry, the Laporte machine of the last several years uses a knife (two) system to separate the bottom target of each stack from the second to bottom target. This consists of two flat horizontal parallel blades, one on each side of the target stack, which enters the seam between the two bottom targets as the magazine rotates. These two flat blades then support the rest of the target stack while the bottom one feeds into position against the throwing arm. Next magazine rotation the same thing happens while the previous stack slides down a ramp to make it's trip back around. No grommets anywhere trying to hold up a stack of targets.

This system is so simple and fool proof that actually it kinda got my goat that I couldn't have thought of it.

Laporte was and I think still is, the world's largest manufacturer of clay target machines. I think I saw somewhere that their machines had been chosen for the Olympics trap and skeet for the last 8 years. And yes, their earlier entries into what is called American Trap had some hiccups along the way. On their doubles machine they tried to build a machine that would be truly adjustable in that each target was individually adjustable for angle and height.

NO machine that throws both targets off one arm can do this. Anytime you change one target you change the other one also.

They finally got there but sales must have been too weak after the bad PR from the early twinlaps as I don't think they still offer the 285 twinlap doubles machine.

If you don't need an automatic doubles machine, or you don't want to spend around $2000+ over a standard machine to have auto doubles, Laporte does have an excellent standard trap machine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

283 twin lap laporte trap machines