1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a Gun @ The Grand?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blackfoot, Jul 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Probably a dumb question- can you buy a shotgun in person from the dealers at the Grand and transport the gun back home w/o a waiting period and no FFL required to buy? I'm not a resident of Ill.

Also, does anyone know if sales tax will be collected.

Thanks in advance!

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Yep, sure can. IL residents such as myself can't though. Yes on sales tax. I think there are a few States that cannot do as you suggested at the Grand but i'm not sure on which ones or why.

3. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

What is the Illinois sales tax?

4. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

6.25% to a maximum of 11.5% if there are local, county, or city taxes also applied...probably just the 6.25%...

5. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

6.25% to a maximum of 11.5% if there are local, county, or city taxes also applied...probably just the 6.25%...

6. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I you buy/order a gun have it shipped--you might not have to pay sales tax.

Phil Berkowitz

7. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Randolph county, Sparta, Il sales tax rate is 6.75% according to the Illinois Department of Revenue website.

8. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Take along a copy of your dealers FFL. If the sale is shown
    to go to a dealer, it should avoid the sales tax.

9. NMULTRARUNNER55

NMULTRARUNNER55 Member

Sky Buster - An FFL who gave an individual a copy of the license which was then used to obtain a firearm by that individual would be breaking federal law. The FFL could do that and then transfer the gun to an individual after the 4473 was filled out and a NICs check done.

In other words, an FFL cannot provide a copy of the license to an individual to use to take possession of a firearm because it would constitute an illegal transfer (The individual would have possession of the firearm prior to the FFL completing the 4473.)

Steve Nunley
    Albuquerque, New Mexico

10. hfrogdogc

hfrogdogc Member

The gun must be shipped to the address on the FFL and it will be legal. Henry

11. zzoom

zzoom Member

Live in missouri and bought wife a gun at Grand last year, no different than buying in Missouri, fill out paperwork, get run thru check to make sure you are not a "bad" person, write the check and gun is yours. Can't remember if I had to pay sales tax.

12. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Can a non-resident make a person-person purchase in Illinois from a non-FFL.

13. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

An individual cannot legally buy a gun from a person who is not an FFL dealer in a state other than the one in which he resides. Both the buyer and seller must be residents of the state in which the transaction takes place. If you find a gun that is owned by an individual go to a dealer who can make the transfer for you.

14. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

I think there is a Federal rule that allows residents of neighboring states to buy guns (states that connect). Anyone else would have to go through a dealer. I don't know about the sales between individuals piece but I doubt if very many people abide by it.

15. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I had some guns for sale at our local registered shoot. As there were some out of state shooters attending, I did some homework. The previous poster is correct in that private sales can only be made if both parties are residents of the state in which the sale is happening. If the buyer is from out of state, it must go through an FFL, and if it is a sale to a California resident, it must go FFL to FFL and the receiving FFL in CA must hold the gun for 10 days. If this is not followed, it is a felony for the buyer and the seller, according to ATF website. When I explained this to a few old timers, they looked at me like I was crazy, so I'm guessing that there are more than a few guns that have been exchanged for cash, no paperwork involved. I chose not to ignore the law. Mark

Additional research:

The following is the statute for the state of Illinois regarding non-resident purchase:

65/3a Reciprocity

(b) Any resident of Iowa, Missouri, Indiana, Wisconsin, or Kentucky or a non-resident with a valid non-resident hunting license, who is 18 years of age or older and who is not prohibited by the laws of Illinois, the state of his domicile, or the United States from obtaining, possessing or using a firearm, may purchase or obtain a rifle, shotgun, or ammunition for a rifle or shotgun in Illinois

(b-5) Any non-resident who is participating in a sanctioned competitive shooting event, who is 18 years of age or older and who is not prohibited by the laws of Illinois, the state of his or her domicile, or the United States from obtaining, possessing or using a firearm, may purchase or obtain a shotgun or shotgun ammunition in Illinois for the purpose of participating in that event. A person may purchase or obtain a shotgun or shotgun ammunition under this subsection only at the site where the sanctioned competitive shooting event is being held

Source(s):

ATF State Laws and Published Ordinances - Firearms, 2006 27th Edition

16. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

frostyman has it right. If you live in a bordering state, it is okay to buy.

I know, I have bought a gun at the Grand before.

Hauxfan!

17. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

So, generally speaking, can one expect to see decent pricing on guns at the Grand, or are prices inflated? Jack

18. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Jack--I'm not near as educated on gun prices as many here but i always find great deals at the Grand. There are some places that have "Grand Specials". That said, i wouldn't say prices are necessarily cheaper there but they certainly don't raise the prices just for the Grand. The best deals are found the first week as they usually get snatched up pretty quick. You can find just about any gun you want there.

19. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

According to the Gun Control Act of 1968 it is okay to buy a gun in a state other than the one in which you reside but only through a FFL dealer not directly from a non-licensed resident of another state. State laws may have restrictions on purchases in their state. Not complying with the GCA of 1968 is a felony and not worth the risk.

20. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Thanks grntitan, I appreciate your opinion and enjoy reading your responses on here. I will be at the Grand for the preliminary week only, and although I am not in the market for another gun.....
    Thanks again, Martinpicker (Jack Farrow)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.