1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying A Gun on TS.com - Is there any recorse?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by t7731, Aug 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t7731

t7731 Member

I see lots of people buying and selling on ts.com. Just wondering if anyone has ever been screwed - paying the selling and not receiving their item? receiving an item that is not in its advertised condition?

I think I would have a tough time sending someone several hundred or thousand dollars to a complete stranger without any recorse.

2. xtj

xtj Guest

I have Sold several guns on T S people sent money and ffl to ship it to I shipped them the guns, no problem.

XTJ

3. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Have bought and sold several. Sent one back for full refund, no problem. Have not had one returned, but give 3 day inspection with full refund. If you screwed somebody on here, bhelieve me you would get trashed! :)
    If your worried just ask about who your dealing with. You will get all kinds of replies. Bill

4. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

I have both bought and sold on TS with never any problems. Obviously one should do there homework, speak with seller/buyer, ship to FFL etc. I once send a check for $6K to Hawaii for a K80 and had my K80 in 3 days. You will find most people on here to be very respectable and honest.

5. t7731

t7731 Member

and I assume that you and 99% of the people on ts.com are good, trustworthy people. That being said, what if you were not and someone sent you $2000 for a gun and you just never sent it to their FFL? What recorse would they have against you? Assume that they are 1500 miles away and cant just drive to your house.

6. 6chuter

6chuter Member

Road Trip!!

7. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Check and see how long the person has been posting on here; check and see if they are an ATA member; google their name and see what comes up; call and talk to the seller and see what kind of vibes you get; ash the seller for a reference; do a search on here and see what they have sold in the past and then PM the buyer to find out what there experience was. These are a few things that can help you decide on doing business w/ the seller and no doubt there are more.

8. benedict1

benedict1 TS Member

This is the best place I have found on Internet for straight, honest dealings. I have bought 3 guns; I have sold 2 guns; I have bought many accessory items. No need for "recourse" with honest guys.

9. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you are trustworthy, you usually have a tendency to trust people (a little verification is good). If you do not trust people, there is a reason for that too. One reason could be you got screwed a few times. Another reason you're not trustworthy. In all honesty I cannot say I have ever had any deal on here buying or selling even close to not being 100% good. I've sent guns and other items before I received payment and I have received the same. Occassionally something smaller will be given to you no charge. Several people on here do that. Shooters helping shooters. Mike.

10. RayReys

RayReys Member

I've bought one (thanks boomer) and sold one ( on its way to leggs as we speak) in addition to a few items. I'm pretty trusting of most folks, but I do look at people's previous posts and others experience with them if the info is there. So far (knock on wood) I've had no problems and have dealt with good people and have gotten good deals.

11. BT99

BT99 Member

Bought and sold several on here. I give a three (3) inspection period and shoot it if you want to. Only had one minor glitch. Sold an o/u trap gun and the buyer didn't like the front sight. It had been changed from factory.
    He didn't want a replacement sight, so I refunded everything including shipping.
    SOld the gun two weeks later.

12. HANGFIRE

HANGFIRE Member

I bought a gun from Barrelbulge , when it was being shipped to my FFL the wood got a couple of gouges.I sent him some pics of the damage and he wanted me to return it and he would pay the shipping. We came to an agreement on the differance in fixing the damage or he would knock off some money. I bought the gun, now i owed him some money back. He told me just send me a personal check. That's trustworthy !

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Do a search for their name/handle here. It will show you if they have a history.

I have not bought a gun from anyone here (yet), but I have bought several barrels, stocks and other accesssories. Every transaction went well.

14. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

We have a very good network of folks here that are trustworthy. Word gets around quickly on any bad dealings. One reason nobody fools around here.. Everyone has guns and knows how to use them!

15. valmet

valmet TS Supporters TS Supporters

bought,sold,traded, guns and misc. on here. never had a problem. have always talked to the person on phone or extensive email about larger $ items. do your homework- history/track record, or ask the folks on here. we're sort of like a family that watches out for each other.

sure, some like to stir and fish a little, but in the end you'll never find a better group of folks that have one thing in common- "Trapshooting". Dennis

16. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I have bought and sold a few with no problems. One fellow who said he would send the check the day I sent the gun tried it out before he paid me though. I was a little put off with his lies, but he did pay me in full after he inspected and shot the gun. don't know what would have happened if he didn't like it. I suppose he would have returned it.

17. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have sold at least 10 guns and some other items and bought 5 guns and some other items on here. All transactions have been good

18. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

there was a rash of dishonest fake sellers in recent months, but that has not surfaced lately-- WTB or looking for threads got a response from these individuals who supposedly had what you requested---i myself had 2 cases of this-- i wud be happy to explain how i cuaght it, but wud do so in a phone call rather than chance they see it!--- its funny how , if you really read some responses carefully, how you get that feeling of alarm! ---the above suggestions are very good to follow-----wally riebesell 660-744-4115 cst

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The authorities take mail fraud quite seriously. If you sent funds via U. S. Mail and got ripped off, that is mail fraud. I know sometimes that is hard to pursue, but it is the law just the same.

The above link shows one scammer that got caught, but he did a lot of damage first. The forums will have info, sometimes a scammer will get 2 or 3 guys and the buzz starts.

I personally have never been screwed but I do my homework. (*knocks on wood*)

You can check business listings, home addresses, other forums, etc.

DO NOT SEND FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION! that's the home base of screw artists.

Avoid buying from individuals who only post to sell stuff. They are obviously not gun enthusiasts and don't deserve your money. And possibly are crooks.

Misunderstandings are another whole facet of this, and you have to make sure everything is understood, especially condition.

99 per cent of gun owners are good honest people. Avoiding the one per cent just takes a little initiative.

HM

20. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

t7731.... If it worries you so much don't do it. If you are investing in a high dollar gun, a road trip to the seller may just be the thing for you to sooth your mind. I have bought and sold many guns on this site and have yet to be disappointed by any one. I make a concentrated effort to talk to the seller and get as much information as I can about both him and the gun in question. Granted, it could happen. If it did, I would post the deal here on T/S.com for everyone to see, and then make the trip to the sellers home to either get my money, or get my gun, regardless of where he lived. Trapshooters live in a small world, and it's getting smaller all the time. For every seller there is someone here on this site that either knows him, or lives close to him and would love to help nailing anyone that pulls that sort of thing on a fellow trapshooter..... Just my take on it.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.