1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a Gun of TS.COM when to worry

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BrowningPotato, Oct 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

Has anyone ever had a bad experience buying a gun of TS.COM? I have always been totally trusting of people that shoot trap and gun collectors in general. I bought my first gun off a guy on TS.com last week and sent a money order and told the guy to email me when he gets the funds and when he sends the gun out. Well, sent the money last week and have not heard from him since. I have emailed him twice since then and still nothing. The tracking number indicates that the money was received and signed for on friday. Should I start to worry? Maybe I'm just paranoid but that is alot of money to have no status update. What do you think, when should I start worrying?

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Status update is not mandated. But shipping information tomorrow is. Have you looked up this person on ATA Look-up?

He prob did not have th eopportunity to get the gun out Friday. But Monday he should and alert you as to the tracking

3. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

I always talk to the seller buyer BEFORE funds are sent. I have been lucky and not had bad experience. If I could not talk to the seller I might get a little concerened. But its the weekend so give it a day or two. Jake

4. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

I am assuming that he jsut does not check his email on the weekend (I am hoping), but it is a little worrisome that he said he would email me upon receiving the funds. Not hearing anything with that much money in limbo is just concerning.

5. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Did you check with your FFL dealer that is receiving the gun. It usually takes a few days to get to him and then he should contact you. If all is well, you should have it by this weekend.

Ed Yanchok

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I understand your concerns but give it a chance. I sold a gun on here wednesday and individual purchasing the gun said he was sending the money Thursday and I mailed the gun out to him on Friday morning and received the money over night by Fedex. I was surprised to receive the money overnight but was glad I had gone ahead and shipped gun. My concern now is that I shipped it through the U S Postal service Priority mail with confirmation delivery and insured. I had never shipped guns with the postal service and sure hope it gets there Monday. The post office said it should arrive Monday anyway, I hope. Jackie B.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Any time you are unsure, have a FFL guy on the sending end.

No dealers want to be part of a scam.

HM

8. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

Trap shooters as a group seem to be a pretty trustworthy bunch and I'm sure this transaction will end just fine. Perhaps my concern stems from when my wedding ring "got lost in the mail" and I never did get it back. Just want to make sure my concerns are unfounded.

9. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Usually takes 14 days from the date you send the funds and get the firearm. Watched pot never boils. He got it friday.. i bet he will send it on a monday or tuesday. Also depends when his FFL ships if he is using one. Hard not to worry but sit back and enjoy your new purchase.

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

There are fake money orders and fake cashiers checks-- in fact fake cashiers checks are one of the fastest growing scams

regards from Iowa

Gene

11. rick979

rick979 Active Member

I always send my payments using USPS money orders( $1,000 limit/money order and the max you can send is $2,200.00 so you may need to send a cashier's check also)and send them priority mail so the seller gets the money in 3 days (always). If I want the gun FAST I send the payment via USPS "overnight guaranteed" mail and negotiate for overnight shipment of the firearm. When I sell a gun I only ship it one way. USPS Priority Mail. The recipient FFL ALWAYS gets the gun in 3 days. I have yet to have a damaged gun via the USPS. The guys on this site are just super. I doubt that you have a thing to worry about. Let us know how this thing ends up. Rick ~~~~Texas

12. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

For a lot of us it is the best time of the year--many hunting seasons have started and for me hunting on the weekend takes priority. Give the guy a chance as he's probably just busy. Hope all is well. Be sure to report back to us.

13. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have had priority mail take 10 days-

The only way to get something guranteed delivery is to pay for guranteed delivery

14. andybull

andybull Active Member

The first thing I do is to have a phone conversation with the individual, I ask which web sites he/she frequents and do a search, I also ask for feedback from others.

My biggest pet peeve is communication, if the individual takes too long to respond during the negotiations, I take it as a red flag to perhaps not to deal with the individual.

Unless you are in a vacuum, or in a cave, you should be able to send a message or reply to one.

Andy.

15. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

No reason not to send an e-mail . It takes no time and cost zero .

If a seller can,t call or e-mail the buyer no sale .

16. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Having done this for 42 years when I first got my FFL,it is always a worry. Keep trying to contact him but don't make an issue of it. Lot of things could have happened. Death in the family,car accident,etc If you don't hear in 14 calender days,time to get a bit upset.
    When I deal with someone individually,I always speak to him on the phone first. I send & ask to be sent $$$ AND FFL's by certified mail to protect all. An expensive gun,I send by the Post Office & use ONLY registered mail. I triple box it. They are very careful about Registered mail because it is locked up except when in transit & anyone that touches it has to sign for it. I recently sent 6 Win 21's & 4 other very pricy guns to Ohio. All got there fine.

17. dzeh

dzeh Member

I've sold a few guns here and have found the easiest way to ship was FedEx Ground. That way I can have tracking info sent to the recipient immediately as soon as FedEx logs it into their system. The buyer can look up the shipment and know where it is in transit at any moment. I've done the FFL to FFL before and had occasions where the local FFL doing the shipping didn't get it out the door as soon as I had hoped. It doesn't hurt to have a phone conversation at least once before your transaction so you have contact info other than just an email address.

18. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I would no more trust Fed Ex or UPS than I would fly. At least a USPS employee has a government job to protect. Registered mail means everyone who hands off your gun gets a signature from the next guy. We have all heard horror stories about UPS not paying claims because "Guns aren't allowed. We shouldn't have accepted it, now we won't pay you just because we lost it."

19. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

There is no excuse for not replying, None!! If you put something up for sale and agree on a sale and receive money then nothing should prevent contact stating cash received and will ship. You guys have more phony excuses, maybe he is busy, maybe he is hunting, maybe it's the weekend, maybe he is sick, maybe his dog died and so on and so on.

It's called being RESPONSIBLE.

Don

20. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I just hope you bought from a regular on here that has been here for a while. Lately, I have seen new names selling guns and not sure who they are?! Tom Rhoads

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.