Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buying a gun from Canada ?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  whiz white 
#1 ·
Recently I have seen a couple of "Guns for sale in Canada" and they caught my interest.

Now I know I have "heard" (Hear Say) that a person in the U.S. cannot purchase a gun from Canada.

I'm sure there are some here that "Know" the law on this type of purchase, can you explain please. Not looking for controversy, just looking for some facts.

Thanks, Dave

#2 ·
Hi Dave,

You can buy a gun from Canada,but it is a bit of a paperwork pain for the seller here. Also if you want it in a hurry,you looking at a few weeks for the Government of Canada to get its act together. Otherwise totally legal and yes there is an importer in Montana on the Lost Target site.

Cheers

Chris

#4 ·
An American needs to find an FFL that will do a permanent import. Also may be some duties involved, depending on where the firearm was made.

* I know these guys will export a firearm into Canada ($100) and can't see why they would not act as import FFL if the buyer is having a problem finding a willing FFL. They would in turn ship it to the buyers FFL.

Leroy's Big Valley Gun Works

Box 22, 527-2nd Avenue North

Glasgow, Montana 59230 USA

Phone: 406-228-4867

E-mail: leroygun@nemontel.net

The Canadian at his end needs to do the export paperwork. From what I'm told not a big deal.

Canadian Laws for firearm export.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/faq/im-ex-eng.htm

Legally, the Canadian can't bring the firearm into the states on a ATF Form 6NIA an leave it, as that's just a temporary import permit. So, if you go that route the Canadian is breaking US Federal law.

* Canadians and others have to have an ATF Form 6NIA pre-approved prior to entering the states with a firearm to attend shoots or to go hunting. They cannot legally leave the firearm in the states (but its done by many).

#5 ·
Thank you very much for this information gentlemen. I knew I could rely on you folks for the straight up answer.

I laways rely on Joe's Lost Target site for my paper work when I am going to shoots in Canada. I don't know why I didn't think to look there first before asking my question. This has probably been a subject that a lot have wondered about.

Dave in SC

#6 ·
Thanks for the compliment...

I hope to be 100% accurate when I post information of this nature, but always willing to learn. Rules change and I may not be aware or I was just outright misinformed!

If anyone finds anything I posted on one of my web pages questionable or outright wrong, please contact me so I can do additonal research and make appropriate changes.

#7 ·
If the gun is listed on the ATF Curios and Relics list (lots of more or less
"modern" guns are listed there)and you have a C&R license, you can do the import directly without going through an Importer. There is a bit of paperwork involved, but it is not difficult. If the gun is not a C&R gun, then the Importer route is about the only way to go. I bought two Winchester Model 12's and a Model 42 from a fellow up there a few years ago. One of the Model 12's was a "Y" model, which is certainly NOT a relic...... My C&R license was all it took.

AdamsRibs

#8 ·
Joe above had the people I deal with and have on several occasions.

I believe the paperwork is $75 and actual postage from them to you.

I got several Lugers out of Canada with no trouble at all. I also shipped to South Africa using them - never a problem and tehy kept me informed on the process.

Whiz White

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.