1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Buying a gun at the GRAND?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hunter44, Jul 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hunter44

hunter44 Active Member

Planning to try out & possibly purchase an MX15 or MX2000 at the Grand. Will most dealers take a personal check for a gun purchase?
  2. Gary Beer

Gary Beer Member

If you have enough money in your checking account, just take the cash out and take cash!! Cash seems to speak a different language than a personal check?? Also If you find a private party gun that you like and want to buy, cash will certainly work better in that deal.

GBeer
  3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Active Member

You may be able to buy a gun at the Grand, pay for it, shoot it, and take it home with you.

Just not legally.
  4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I don't know about most, but at least one dealer took my check. I would say if they want the sale they all would. That get said, cash offers some negotiating options that checks don't.
  5. hunter44

hunter44 Active Member

Sounds like cash is the way to go.......thanks!
  6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Send me your check and I'll send you an MX-2000/8 combo thats like brand new ... 31 1/2 - 34 ... upgraded wood ... Pull triggers ... WPT ... (YAC) ...
  7. grntitan

Bill,

Check for $1000 on its way.................
  8. partygirl

partygirl TS Member

That's not all. You have to be cleared by the Ill State Police. They do a complete body cavity search, draw blood, collect urine, and put you on a lie box. If you pay cash they consider you questionable. If you charge it they consider you questionable. Your in Illinois now mister, home of the Grand American.
  9. hunter44

hunter44 Active Member

Ah yes, the Grand American. Greatest show on earth........sure glad I don't have to travel too far to be a part of the big shoot!
  10. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Used to be good deals at Vandalia by people walking down the Midway with a For Sale sign sticking out of the barrel.

I would imagine things have not changed, only a much bigger area to look out for.

I also would imagine with proper ID dealers would take a check, however, as stated above, cash reigns supreme.

Regards....Gerald
  11. grntitan

Ignore the ridiculous untrue comments hunter. Illinois residents have it tougher to buy a gun at the Grand than anyone else. For the most part, out of State buyers take the gun with them that day. IL residents must wait 24hrs to pick it up. No loops to jump through no special procedures. That is from dealers as the question was posed. Now IL residents may buy from another IL resident(individual not buisness) face to face and take it with them that day right there and then with no more than a simple exchange of money and a little personal info for their own personal records.

Perfectly legally.
  12. 870

870 Active Member

I think dickgtax was referring to buying a gun from an individual at the grand as being illegal if you are from out of state. That is true everywhere. Generally, not a problem when buying from a dealer.

It just went downhill from there until Matt's post.
  13. blade819

blade819 Active Member

I have bought several shotguns at the grand, from dealers, and took them with me out the door.

blade819
  14. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Whats the deal on tax if you buy from a dealer & you are out of state?
    Clyde
  15. Lewes

Lewes Member

To answer 1oldtimer2 years ago I purchased a gun from a dealer at the grand and had it shipped to an FFL dealer in my home state of Delaware. No tax paid since DE has no sales tax. If I took it home with me I would of had to pay IL state tax. Saved a bundle. Irv
  16. elinvar

elinvar Member

I take checks same as cash!

Terry Jones
  17. frostyman

frostyman Member

I think the real Federal rules are if you are from a state that connects the state you are buying it in (Illinois) then you can buy the long gun and take it with you. If you are from a state that does not connect you may have to have it shipped to a dealer or transferred to a dealer that connects to your state. As for pistols that is a different story and you have to live in the state you are purchasing it.

The dealer may have to have a Illinois license.

I have bought and sold there also with no issue but I am from a connecting state.

People have all kinds of stories about Illinois but most of them apply to the Chicago area and may not be state laws.
  18. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Take cash!!! You are in a safe area and you never know who or whagt you will encounter at the Grand! Martinpicker
  19. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Active Member

Geez, anyone else get tired of wiping the BS off their shoes?

Buying a gun at the Grand is still legally accomplished... geez..

If you have too, look up Matt, he'll help you out...
  20. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Active Member

Take three days. Day 1) Look at everything on the grounds.

Day 2) Shoot all of the likely candidates at the practice trap and think hard about it overnight.

Day 3) Take cash to the dealer or individual selling and make your best deal.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.